No more free fixed price... even during a promotion?

Baltimore

Feb 18, 2013
Maryland/Vermont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So it seems as if ebay has almost completely removed free fixed price listings. I noticed it a little while ago, didn't think that much of it, but now during this pre halloween 10,000 free listings promo I tried to list a few things fixed price. Turns out, even during a promotion if your item is in one of several categories (the most popular on categories on ebay, including clothing, shoes, and accessories which is the category I frequently list in), fixed price listings still are not free, even if the promotion says "free fixed price listings". And the charge is a flat .30 per listing. Come on ebay, I pay .20 to list something on Etsy and it is up for 4 months, and their fees are only 3-6%. Absurd!

I'm rarely one to gripe about ebay, but this just sucks. Pretty soon these downsides are going so start outweighing ebay's upsides.

palidin20603

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just started a basic store to save on these fees... We will see how it works.

NJcigarman

May 25, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,Whites Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
just started a basic store to save on these fees... We will see how it works.

I didn't want a store. But started a basic back in February. Working out for me with discounts etc. Some because of being top rated.

JustinNH

Apr 10, 2012
NH
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But if you think about it, it is just an addition to the free monthly ones they give you. No reason the promo would go against the new listing price/rules set up in May. Yet each promo that comes out, there are many people on the ebay boards that say the same thing.

its a bonus. Gotta look at it like that. If you can use it, great, otherwise it is only a bonus.

OP
OP
B

Baltimore

Feb 18, 2013
Maryland/Vermont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But if you think about it, it is just an addition to the free monthly ones they give you. No reason the promo would go against the new listing price/rules set up in May. Yet each promo that comes out, there are many people on the ebay boards that say the same thing.

its a bonus. Gotta look at it like that. If you can use it, great, otherwise it is only a bonus.

The bonus is actually slightly different, the 50 free listings per month are auction only, while the bonus is 10,000 free auction style OR fixed price. However, the "free fixed price" for the bonus excludes the most popular categories, which renders it somewhat useless. Just seems a little like false advertising. It's like when stores say "Huge Sale!!!" when it is actually only a handful of obscure things that have been discounted.

JustinNH

Apr 10, 2012
NH
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nope.
Check again.
You should have 50 free auction (all category) and 50 free auction/fixed price (for any auction or fixed price in non-excluded categories).

It has been like that since may. The promo is not any different than the standard freebies.

Not false advertising. Trust me, I do like to hear myself talk... but I don't just make things up.:laughing7::laughing7:

Last edited:

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess first thought why don't you open the store just for the holidays if you're gonna have more stuff to list. And then if you still use all your listings you can call and ask for more. I just had a call from my total I could sell for the month to $10,000 and got with that I think an extra 500 listings which I will never ever use. Although I have the store that's $50 a month. they said if I use them to call every month and they can add more once a month to the amount I can sell plus the total listings.

OP
OP
B

Baltimore

Feb 18, 2013
Maryland/Vermont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nope.
Check again.
You should have 50 free auction (all category) and 50 free auction/fixed price (for any auction or fixed price in non-excluded categories).

It has been like that since may. The promo is not any different than the standard freebies.

Not false advertising. Trust me, I do like to hear myself talk... but I don't just make things up.:laughing7::laughing7:

You're right, I never noticed that it says "fixed price is free in most categories" in the promotions box. My mistake, I apologize for jumping to contradict. I guess now I can just gripe about how all of the categories that I ever list in are the excluded ones. Oh well, looks like auctions from here on out.

meanpc

Jun 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't want a store. But started a basic back in February. Working out for me with discounts etc. Some because of being top rated.

I just started a store tonight. Might be asking you a few questions :)

JustinNH

Apr 10, 2012
NH
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're right, I never noticed that it says "fixed price is free in most categories" in the promotions box. My mistake, I apologize for jumping to contradict. I guess now I can just gripe about how all of the categories that I ever list in are the excluded ones. Oh well, looks like auctions from here on out.

No worries :)

I agree though. Prior to May, I actually switched over to selling most clothing via fixed price. Lasted all of a month before I had to change it to auction. People like clothes better as a straight purchase.

I've had good luck doing auctions with a BIN price added (free feature). The auction is the lowest I'd accept (or what I would have set the BIN price to if it were a fixed price that didn't sell for a few relistings). I went 11 sales in a row a few months ago that were all BIN sales on auction listings. Downside is that it has to be 30% more than the auction price, so you have to find the happy medium that prices it where you're happy if you only get 1 bid but the buyer is willing to pay 30% more to buy it now, etc

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread