cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I needed to buy sync/charges cables for some cell phones I will be selling on ebay. The seller listed 5 for $6.10 with a make offer button. So if he is going to offer a discount I will ask for it. I made a counter offer that was reasonable of $5.50, he came back with $6.00

A 10¢ discount? ? ? why even waste my time by putting a MAKE OFFER button? I only accepted because I need the cords.

Paleo_joe

Mar 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am wondering if ebay puts items that are best offer over just plain b-i-n in the search results.

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am wondering if ebay puts items that are best offer over just plain b-i-n in the search results.
who knows what they do. But it doesn't matter it will be different next week.
you would think after all these years they would figuere out what works best AND LEAVE IT ALONE.
They are like a new company that keeps experimenting with different ways to conduct business.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I made an offer last week, Dan, and had similar results.

I offered 9.75 on an $11 tool, and the seller countered at 10.75. Someone else hit the BIN the next day...and the seller relisted another one. I offered 10.50 because I needed the tool, and they had stellar FB for fast shipping.

Pa_Dirtfisher

Sep 28, 2014
Mercer County
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Safari. Whites TRX pin pointer and Deteknix pin pointer, Lesche digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was looking to buy a LED light bar on Ebay for my Xterra and found one for $264 new plus free shipping or make offer. So I offered the guy $250 and he came back with $258 and I'd pay shipping..... Seriously $6 and I'd pay shipping.... Do people fall for this?

I did manage to buy my F75 on Ebay with an offer of $752 new with free shipping. The seller was asking $850 new so I guess not all sellers are the same. I never expected him to take the offer but he did and I jumped!

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I was looking to buy a LED light bar on Ebay for my Xterra and found one for $264 new plus free shipping or make offer. So I offered the guy $250 and he came back with $258 and I'd pay shipping..... Seriously $6 and I'd pay shipping.... Do people fall for this?

I did manage to buy my F75 on Ebay with an offer of $752 new with free shipping. The seller was asking $850 new so I guess not all sellers are the same. I never expected him to take the offer but he did and I jumped!

I have experienced it all.

I have had people counter offer a few cents below the BIN price.

I have also made an extreme lowball offer only to have the counter offer be very close to my lowball and I ended up buying them item for a great price.

You just never know!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why bother with a best offer if you aren't willing to go down a minimum of 10%? Some people make no sense, plain ignorance imho.

JustinNH

Apr 10, 2012
NH
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I made an offer months ago on an Olympic thing. $65 asking, so I did BO if $60. I was going to do $50 and see where it went, but I wanted the item and it was cheaper than others.

Offer was declined. No counter offer. Really. 60/65 and declined?

I paid $10 more and got it from another seller I was so turned off from that. I checked a month later and it was still for sale and the second one the guy I bought from had sold as well.

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That seller I was telling about has over 100,000 in f/b so he must be doing something right. but it surely isn't the make offer button.

Paleo_joe

Mar 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I get an offer and make a counter-offer, I'd say 2 out of 3 times I never hear back. I have learned to take that first offer seriously.

Sometimes I decline offers just because I'm not in the mood. Sometimes I accept really low offers just because I'm in the mood. I've killed sales over $1... but if you really really really love it, I want you to have it and I'll make you a great deal.

I love an offer right after I list something really desirable/collectible, because I let it sit for a day so that all the other potential buyers see it. I usually get full price b i n from someone else.

It's strange but I can't think of anything I've bought with a best offer. Mostly on ebay I am looking for great deals I can flip so when I see them I just buy right then.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread