Sold a dunhill....

buzzhead

Sep 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To a lady in ca. I accepted a best offer for it. Shipped it out and got absolutely beat to death because I didn't ship with a tracking number. It arrived safely. A week after it arrived I received a message saying she was returning it because the cap was loose on it. I said no problem. She messages back 1 day later and asks if I received it yet, I replied no, you stated you were shipping it back only 1 day ago... It took a week to get there.

I told her I would refund the money when I received the lighter. I still haven't received the lighter and apparently she shipped to somewhere other than my return address as listed in eBay. My question is.. Even though she has delivery confirmation to an address (not mine) am I going to be burnt on the refund?? I opened a case as soon as I could after eBay asked me to refund because the package showed as delivered in their system and I'm still waiting on a reply from eBay....

gino22

Nov 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why's she using a Dunhill for her glass pipe when a Bic can get the job done? Guess she asked herself the same question...

That being said, you have a pretty compelling paper trail of questionable behavior from this person, and I doubt eBay would side with her should there be a dispute. Would budget some phone time with them though.

You are not obligated to issue a refund until you receive the item. You have proof that the item is currently at the wrong address, so you should be ok unless it finds its way back to you (likely in a dilapidated state)...

OP
OP
B

buzzhead

Sep 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still waiting on them to even reply to me opening a case...

leadnbrass

Apr 2, 2005
Shenandoah Valley VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you will be fine but Ebay continues to amaze me.

Always...always...always send with a tracking number...part of me thinks everyone is out to scam but I guess some credit is due that she did say she received the item and it didn't have a delivery conformation so that is a plus.

Do you know the address that it shipped to? Did she tell you it shipped to the wrong address? If she admitted that it wasn't sent to you again you should be fine.

Usually the cases opened through Ebay take about a day and a half (in my experience).

OP
OP
B

buzzhead

Sep 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
She told me it was shipped to Lewistown pa, I live in McClure pa. I used a third party shipping company, I'm going to assume when they make the labels they used their address as the return address... And that's what she used.. I dunno. But I have not received it at my address.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Give her a refund and hope you get the lighter back. You are at least equally at fault here. You know you should have used tracking and the buyer should have used ebay for her return address. Still, it isn't unreasonable that she returned it to the address it was shipped from.

OP
OP
B

buzzhead

Sep 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, she could have asked for a shipping address at the very least. I'm not taking a $100 hit if it can be helped. And just how am I equally at fault?? I shipped it, found it, listed it, and because I didn't use delivery confirmation I'm equally at fault...... Get bent.

gino22

Nov 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wrote assuming you shipped it yourself with your return address... I would now say the ball is largely in your court as far as retrieving the package, if, as I understand it, you used a shipping service that uses their own return address. Would get in touch with them if that's the case.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You stated you didnt use tracking in your original post but then said delivery confirmation in your last. Which one is it because those are 2 different things. Not using a tracking number you are playing with fire. Delivery confirmation (signature) is only required for orders over $250. How much did the 3rd party shipping company charge you?

OP
OP
B

buzzhead

Sep 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't use tracking. She said she used delivery confirmation when she returned it. It was less then $4.00 in my own packaging.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont see how you are "equally at fault" for the return not going to the correct place. Return addresses are listed with eBay, and the buyer is responsible for using the correct address. I know that I have 2 different addresses listed with eBay as I send from one place (a PO box), and receive at another place (my home).

OP
OP
B

buzzhead

Sep 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's what I was thinking... I did go through eBay and check that everything was still correct. And it was.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, she could have asked for a shipping address at the very least. I'm not taking a $100 hit if it can be helped. And just how am I equally at fault?? I shipped it, found it, listed it, and because I didn't use delivery confirmation I'm equally at fault...... Get bent.

If the buyer was trying to screw you, she would have just claimed it was not received. Get bent? Nice attitude.

OP
OP
B

buzzhead

Sep 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have not been mean or rude to her throughout this. I told her to ship the lighter back and I would refund her, I cannot help that she sent to the wrong address. If I had received the lighter I would have refunded her money.

mkulltra

Nov 14, 2012
South Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it was delivered to a zip code that is different then your ebay return address, then you are fine. If it was shipped to a different address with the same zip code, sorry to tell you but you are going to be screwed by ebay. The only thing ebay will look at is if the item was delivered and the zip code it was delivered to. I know this from personal experience by getting screwed out of a $100 item in similar situation.

OP
OP
B

buzzhead

Sep 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It took 4 + hours of hold time but I don't have to refund her money, because she couldn't open eBay and look for a return address. Different zip code on delivery confirmation = refund.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been through this exact thing before. As you already found out, by her not asking for your registered return address and her shipping to a wrong address, you are covered. Several years ago, I lost money on an item that I returned because I didn't ask (via eBay messaging) for the sellers return address and shipped it back to the return address that was on the package I received it in. This bit of information is not listed on eBay anywhere that I can find and could be used to deceive buyers who do need to return something, if they are not careful. They didn't have "hassle free returns" or the ability to "print a return label" at the time.

FWIW- I would never ship an item without delivery confirmation. To do so opens the door for thieves, scammers and problems in general. That is a stupid move for anyone to do. My question would be... Why wouldn't you print your labels via eBay? It saves time and money, delivery confirmation is free and it is automatically uploaded on to eBay. It's literally a no brainer.

OP
OP
B

buzzhead

Sep 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Digs, I run totally off my iPhone. And no wireless printer in the house.

OP
OP
B

buzzhead

Sep 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can actually list an auction in about two minutes flat. Everything on one device, take pics straight from eBay, upload describe, price, schedule if needed and list. I don't think I'd use a pc to list if I had one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread