Feb 1, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Whites Eagle II SL 90
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buyer wants to return an item because they didn't read the description

So I set my daughter up an account on eBay so she can sell some items and make a little money. A buyer emails her and said they need to return the item. He said he was bidding on his phone and didn't read the description. He bid 17 times in a 3 day span. Initiated a "return" and stated "I don't want it anymore". They freeze the funds in PayPal. Really? WTF?

She reported him to eBay today. Now we wait for the outcome.

This "hassle free returns" is BS.

nathan104

Feb 23, 2006
Emory TX
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, AT Pro, propointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When the item was listed, did you allow returns or no returns?

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be happy that they are returning instead of breaking it and claiming it was damaged in shipping. They loose shipping cost both ways and have nothing. You get it back and can resell.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Welcome to the 2014 version of Ebay. They don't care one little bit about the sellers. I've been on Ebay since 1999. Stick a fork in it. It's not worth it anymore unless you do a large volume of sales to offset the hassle

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gotta take the good with the bad just like any other retail sales medium. Approx 200 sales this year, zero returns.

meanpc

Jun 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have returns set to "on", it doesn't matter what the reason is - they can return it. If they are returning it because of a defect or item not as described, you eat the shipping. If they are returning it "just because", they eat the shipping.

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
If you have returns set to "on", it doesn't matter what the reason is - they can return it. If they are returning it because of a defect or item not as described, you eat the shipping. If they are returning it "just because", they eat the shipping.
No, you don't eat the shipping. You can set it so the buyer pays returns. The only thing that Ebay will make you pay shipping for is if the item is not as described. Then you lose shipping in both directions.
I was also told that if it states in my polices that free shipping is not part of the refund, then you can deduct for shipping. I've only had two returns with free shipping. The first time I gave it back because the guy was a complete a$$hole. The second time I forgot to deduct it. Oh well.
I allow returns because I figure they will not want to return since they have to pay shipping.

meanpc

Jun 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, you don't eat the shipping. You can set it so the buyer pays returns. The only thing that Ebay will make you pay shipping for is if the item is not as described. Then you lose shipping in both directions.
I was also told that if it states in my polices that free shipping is not part of the refund, then you can deduct for shipping. I've only had two returns with free shipping. The first time I gave it back because the guy was a complete a$$hole. The second time I forgot to deduct it. Oh well.
I allow returns because I figure they will not want to return since they have to pay shipping.

Maybe you should read what I wrote again, I said exactly what you did.

diverrick

Jan 18, 2011
Vacaville, CA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Minelab Eureka gold
Primary Interest:
Other
My wife also had a bad experience selling on EBAY. She sold a 5 dollar item. Buyer contacted her, and asked not to send it registered as she was trying to save money. Then she claims she never got it, and shipping was more than the item, so My wife simply gave it to her. Not worth the hassle. But I do feel she was scammed by the buyer.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife also had a bad experience selling on EBAY. She sold a 5 dollar item. Buyer contacted her, and asked not to send it registered as she was trying to save money. Then she claims she never got it, and shipping was more than the item, so My wife simply gave it to her. Not worth the hassle. But I do feel she was scammed by the buyer.

Price of doing business. Scamming happens on ebay, in brick and mortar stores, in antique malls, at flea markets, at yard sales EVERYWHERE. This is not directed at diverrick - but if you don't want to be scammed DONT SELL THINGS - TO ANYONE - ANYWHERE! That is the only way you are guaranteed not to get screwed. I had a guy burn me for a $5 coin a few years ago, said he never got it. I didn't put tracking on it, I was new to ebay and figured I would save the money. Lesson learned. Good thing it was an $8 transaction and not an $800 one. Live and learn!!!

Last edited:

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I sold a rare half dime that I found (the one in my avatar) back in 2011. In the description I said "No Refunds" and "more photos are available upon request". After clicking the "buy now" button, he started asking about returning it if he wasn't happy once he received it, and I told him it clearly stated no refunds. To make a long story short, he tried to return it stating "it wasn't as described" and it tied up my paypal account until finally eBay ruled in my favor and released the payment to me.

Some buyers are just @$$hole$.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread