How can I take my mouse cord and strangle a buyer?

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just listed an ELECTRONIC JUNK DRAWER auction over the weekend.

lots of junk e-Readers - iPods - MP3s - GPS - Over 16 POUNDS

when I buy cell phones these are mixed in with them so i save them up. I am asking $125 with a make offer. I get a $50 offer and counter with $80 and just a few minutes later I get a much higher offer and i accept. So the first offer is deleted.

A couple hours later the buyer backs out because (in his own words) "oh, i saw that it said these are all very used. I didn't read the full description, sorry for the inconvenience , you can re -list, again sorry. I just assumed they would all be used"

I already relisted but it lost three days and I had 14 hits and 2 watches. now I have to also go through the non-pay customer routine. ebay has already billed me $12.50. need to get that back.

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
16 pounds of of brand new gps, ipods and mp3 players for $125. Have they not heard of if it sounds to be good to be true it probably is.

I'm still struggling with the make an offer myself. People that just randomly offer 1/5 of the asking price. I always wonder how often they are successful with that technique.

I sold twenty pounds of legos in line price wise with what 20 lbs of legos usually sells. As soon as I list it so many low ball offers I had to remove the make an offer feature because I couldn't figure out how to strangle them either. I don't mind if they make a low offer but some people don't even make an offer that is a normal starting point for a negotiation.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just listed an ELECTRONIC JUNK DRAWER auction over the weekend.

lots of junk e-Readers - iPods - MP3s - GPS - Over 16 POUNDS

when I buy cell phones these are mixed in with them so i save them up. I am asking $125 with a make offer. I get a $50 offer and counter with $80 and just a few minutes later I get a much higher offer and i accept. So the first offer is deleted.

A couple hours later the buyer backs out because (in his own words) "oh, i saw that it said these are all very used. I didn't read the full description, sorry for the inconvenience , you can re -list, again sorry. I just assumed they would all be used"

I already relisted but it lost three days and I had 14 hits and 2 watches. now I have to also go through the non-pay customer routine. ebay has already billed me $12.50. need to get that back.

Reminds me...

Recently I "sold" a used Profind on Ebay. The seller was somewhere in Europe. He ended up winning the bid just shy of $100. When I billed him for $30 for shipping (actually the bill would have been anywhere from $22-25 and I was going to reimburse the difference) he told me that it was a ridiculous price and that he had bought metal detectors and had them shipped for $10 and that my "little pinpointer" shouldn't costs more than $5 to send. He refused to pay. He then begged me on a second email a few days later to ship either free or round the shipping to $10. Took me almost 3 weeks to recover my Ebay fees. I think what irritated me the most is that he was abrasive with me and didn't have the foresight to look at the shipping fees before he placed his bid, or contact me ahead of time.

I also had sent a detector to Romania and had to reply to the buyer a half dozen times with the tracking information, ship to address and how much I declared and this is before it left the U.S. Now it is caught up in customs in his country and he is freaking out. I will not ship overseas anymore as a result. This same detector I couldn't sell for any decent price here and I ended up getting $100 less by taking a chance on Ebay. I lost about $125 after my fees. Ouch.

Last edited:

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Reminds me...

Recently I "sold" a used Profind on Ebay. The seller was somewhere in Europe. He ended up winning the bid just shy of $100. When I billed him for $30 for shipping (actually the bill would have been anywhere from $22-25 and I was going to reimburse the difference) he told me that it was a ridiculous price and that he had bought metal detectors and had them shipped for $10 and that my "little pinpointer" shouldn't costs more than $5 to send. He refused to pay. He then begged me on a second email a few days later to ship either free or round the shipping to $10. Took me almost 3 weeks to recover my Ebay fees. I think what irritated me the most is that he was abrasive with me and didn't have the foresight to look at the shipping fees before he placed his bid, or contact me ahead of time.

I also had sent a detector to Romania and had to reply to the buyer a half dozen times with the tracking information, ship to address and how much I declared and this is before it left the U.S. Now it is caught up in customs in his country and he is freaking out. I will not ship overseas anymore as a result.
Been messing around on Ebay since 1999. I ship to the UK, Canada, France, Spain, Germany and pretty much NOWHERE else. If a potential bidder from a different country asks me to allow him to bid I will check their feedback including the comments left by others and decide accordingly. I may lose a sale now & then by doing it my way but my feedback is 100% and I've never had a package get lost.

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have excluded most countries from bidding on my auctions. I don't want the shipping hassles and what you guys went through.

A couple of people have slipped through by using a freight forewarder here in USA. One in SoCA a mile from my sister that shipped to Japan and another in FL that shipped to some island in the Atlantic.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I would much rather have a potential "problem buyer" cancel before I ship out than to ship out and have to deal with their nonsense later.

A minor inconvenience if you look at the big picture...

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Reminds me...

I also had sent a detector to Romania and had to reply to the buyer a half dozen times with the tracking information, ship to address and how much I declared and this is before it left the U.S. Now it is caught up in customs in his country and he is freaking out. I will not ship overseas anymore as a result. This same detector I couldn't sell for any decent price here and I ended up getting $100 less by taking a chance on Ebay. I lost about $125 after my fees. Ouch.
I do not ship over seas either . I do not need the money that bad … And i do not need the headache's it give's ...

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
16 pounds of of brand new gps, ipods and mp3 players for $125. Have they not heard of if it sounds to be good to be true it probably is.

These were far from brand new. About as far as you can get.

Attachments

• 800628524_o.jpg
    800628524_o.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 99
  • 800628527_o.jpg
    800628527_o.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 101
  • 800628532_o.jpg
    800628532_o.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 89

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

I'm still struggling with the make an offer myself. People that just randomly offer 1/5 of the asking price. I always wonder how often they are successful with that technique.

I sold twenty pounds of legos in line price wise with what 20 lbs of legos usually sells. As soon as I list it so many low ball offers I had to remove the make an offer feature because I couldn't figure out how to strangle them either. I don't mind if they make a low offer but some people don't even make an offer that is a normal starting point for a negotiation.
I low ball on offers i make all the time … If i get it and i do get it some times great………… And if i do not get it i don't care...

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
...As soon as I list it so many low ball offers I had to remove the make an offer feature because I couldn't figure out how to strangle them either.

When you add the "Best Offer" option, there is a place where you can set a price below which the offer is automatically rejected. You can also set a price above which the offer is automatically accepted.

@cyberdan - I feel your pain, brother. A couple of weeks ago, I sold a non-working home theater subwoofer speaker. The fact that it was in non-working condition was plastered all over the listing. Somebody bid on it but then didn't pay. Two weeks and two invoices later, I still haven't heard a peep from the guy. So yesterday I sent him the following message:

"This is the final notice to make payment on this item. I have sent you two invoices for this item but I have not received payment or received any other response from you. If payment is not made within 3 days, I will open an Unpaid Item case against you with ebay."

He immediately fires back with this:

"Hello I do not want this particular item because it don't work sorry for biz on it I don't by nothing that don't work"

Would it be too much trouble to ask you to READ THE FREAKIN' LISTING BEFORE BIDDING!? :BangHead: Or, at the very least, respond to one of the two invoices and let me know you made a mistake. I opened an unpaid item case because it seemed like he was just going to ignore me indefinitely. I hope ebay decides in my favor and dings this jerk's account.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
When you add the "Best Offer" option, there is a place where you can set a price below which the offer is automatically rejected. You can also set a price above which the offer is automatically accepted.

@cyberdan - I feel your pain, brother. A couple of weeks ago, I sold a non-working home theater subwoofer speaker. The fact that it was in non-working condition was plastered all over the listing. Somebody bid on it but then didn't pay. Two weeks and two invoices later, I still haven't heard a peep from the guy. So yesterday I sent him the following message:

"This is the final notice to make payment on this item. I have sent you two invoices for this item but I have not received payment or received any other response from you. If payment is not made within 3 days, I will open an Unpaid Item case against you with ebay."

He immediately fires back with this:

"Hello I do not want this particular item because it don't work sorry for biz on it I don't by nothing that don't work"

Would it be too much trouble to ask you to READ THE FREAKIN' LISTING BEFORE BIDDING!? :BangHead: Or, at the very least, respond to one of the two invoices and let me know you made a mistake. I opened an unpaid item case because it seemed like he was just going to ignore me indefinitely. I hope ebay decides in my favor and dings this jerk's account.

Ebay already has an unpaid item feature. You wasted your time chasing this guy down.

Next time, use the ebay tool first. The buyer will either pay or not and then you can move on with your life...

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I low ball on offers i make all the time … If i get it and i do get it some times great………… And if i do not get it i don't care...

But how often does it work? Because if you say it works all the time I will start doing it too.

I see scenarios where I would take a lowball such as you come pick it up, its really easy to ship, I've looked at it too long and its expensive. I get the offer to send 20 lbs of legos to the opposite coast with free shipping on the same day I list it. I'm am trying to make money. Judging by how many offers I got it must work. But I feel bad for the people accepting the offers.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of people have no clue what their item is worth and put ridiculous BINs with Make Offer options. If one puts a $20 item up with a $500 BIN or Make Offer why not offer ten bucks?? I see so many items with asinine BINs go on for month after month and can never figure why the seller doesn't get it and just let it run at auction with a low starting price. I also see that people who sell junk seem to have more problems with buyers than those who sell quality collectibles. I agree with those who don't wish to ship internationally due to there seeming to be a lot of scammer buyers asking for overseas shipping.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
But how often does it work? Because if you say it works all the time I will start doing it too.

I see scenarios where I would take a lowball such as you come pick it up, its really easy to ship, I've looked at it too long and its expensive. I get the offer to send 20 lbs of legos to the opposite coast with free shipping on the same day I list it. I'm am trying to make money. Judging by how many offers I got it must work. But I feel bad for the people accepting the offers.
Like i said sometimes and a very few times …But i keep doing it to me it is a lot of fun … Not very often but sometimes i get it … It works only one or two times a year … This year is coming to a end and so far this year i got ..zero items like that

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry about detouring this thread.
I feel that potential buyers need to thoroughly read the postings and not rely on emotions and excitement to dictate before they bid, but some people just want a ridiculousness good deal (or I should say ludicrous). When I give a offer I will sometimes request a low price with the intent of a counteroffer but nothing ridiculous. If its something I really want, but I want a slightly lower offer, then I will give a reasonable price and 9/10 times I get accepted.

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had to buy some stupid little thing a few months ago. Do not even remember what it was. The item was listed for around $6-$7 which was acceptible. BUT, the guy also had a make offer button. Being a good and thrifty Scottsman of course I made a lower offer of 50¢. The seller would not accept it and counter offered full asking price. At first I refused and started looking elsewhere only because of his dumb ebay knowledge, but fineally I bought only because his price was OK and I couldn't find another one.

This guy was not a newbie, his feedback was in the thousands.

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250
Just a few weeks ago I had a buyer sending me Crazy low offers on my coins. I would counter at a reasonably lower price than my asking price and he/she would counter mine by only raising their offer a dollar or two. Just so happens that this person had a store of there own. I went into his store and sent $1 offers for quite a few items of his. Kinda funny, I have not heard from him again......

VPR

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I personally block people who give me insultingly low offers. I dont want my time wasted and neither do others.

meanpc

Jun 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had to buy some stupid little thing a few months ago. Do not even remember what it was. The item was listed for around $6-$7 which was acceptible. BUT, the guy also had a make offer button. Being a good and thrifty Scottsman of course I made a lower offer of 50¢. The seller would not accept it and counter offered full asking price. At first I refused and started looking elsewhere only because of his dumb ebay knowledge, but fineally I bought only because his price was OK and I couldn't find another one.

This guy was not a newbie, his feedback was in the thousands.

Ha! I do the exact same thing this seller did when I receive ridiculous offers.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions