Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday , on my way to work , I stopped at my local PO to mail a 15 oz. padded envelope to Japan . They were out to lunch . So I stopped at a tiny rural PO several towns from my regular one , it's an old fashion PO , no computer , no internet , old style brass PO boxes - really cool .
Anyway she gets out a book to look up postage to Japan and tells me it's $80.00 - I say never mind ??? .
when I got home I double checked at usps and it should of been $16.75 .

So this morning I go to my local PO to ship it - YIKES - It's the same lady , she got transferred . She said the best she could do was $44.00. I explained to her that online it said $16.75 First Class International . She said she could not do FCI because it weighed to much . Finally a familiar face came from the back room - it was my regular guy - she was in training - he showed her what buttons to press - shipping was $16.75 . She was really nice - we all had a great laugh .

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I stopped at a tiny rural PO several towns from my regular one , it's an old fashion PO , no computer , no internet , old style brass PO boxes - really cool .
Down here that would be like a tourist attraction or something, lol. As for the clerk, yeah she got transferred alright,:icon_salut: :wave: lol. I'm surprised they let her on the loose with no supervision, doesn't sound like she's the brightest bulb in the box. Aren't government jobs wonderful.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Let me understand this... You folks actually believe the post office is intentionally ripping people off? Come on...

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let me understand this... You folks actually believe the post office is intentionally ripping people off? Come on...
Who said that? I just think he was dealing with a trainee that shouldn't have been left without supervision. Intentional... no, irresponsibility on management's part, yes, she obviously shouldn't be giving price quotes to customers. The original post is proof of that.

OP
OP
mojjax

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
She was super nice , she apologized over an over . I was mostly shocked that she was in my local PO after dealing with her 18 miles away the day before . She's learning the ropes right now . I always look up shipping prices before I ship . I went to my local PO to ship some thing out - she wasn't there - I kinda miss her !

deserdog

May 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not intentionally, but sometimes through ignorance. An example, one clerk was rounding all measurements up, sometimes putting a package into dimensional weight, and doubling the cost. I had to show her, on her computer screen, how to round measurements. If less than 1/2", go down to the nearest inch, 1/2 and above, go up to the nearest inch. Another example, a clerk charge me oversize for a package, when it was not. I always build boxes that will be close to the oversize small enough that they will be under. The clerk did not bother to measure at all, so when I saw that they had charged me the surcharge, I took in the receipt, and they refunded the $7.00 plus change.

meanpc

Jun 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not intentionally, but sometimes through ignorance. An example, one clerk was rounding all measurements up, sometimes putting a package into dimensional weight, and doubling the cost. I had to show her, on her computer screen, how to round measurements. If less than 1/2", go down to the nearest inch, 1/2 and above, go up to the nearest inch. Another example, a clerk charge me oversize for a package, when it was not. I always build boxes that will be close to the oversize small enough that they will be under. The clerk did not bother to measure at all, so when I saw that they had charged me the surcharge, I took in the receipt, and they refunded the $7.00 plus change.

I think you can avoid a lot of that by printing your own postage and requesting a pickup. It would take a lot of effort for a postal worker to measure a box that is close, then have to go through whatever process is involved to charge more. Way easier for them to just let it slide. I've found my relationship with USPS is much better since I stopped going to their lobby.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread