So my account got suspended on eBay

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One day for a policy violation which I believe is complete crap. Selling something I couldn't sell again. Even though there's been probably 200 of them sold just like mine. Another 50 of them listed just like mine. And I get the policy violation and Ebay pulls my listing. I called them and they said it's Ivory. You got a policy violation for trying to sell one thing Ivory and now this is your second so your account is suspended from listing stuff for one day... But it is a elks club 14 K elks tooth pendant... EBay said they are working on pulling everybody's listing. I just checked and there are several still listed. What makes me upset more is that I paid $30 for it and I had a bid of 70 on it with five or six watchers. I guess now it's going to go be taken apart and just scrap the gold.

I guess I could see suspending my account if I knew that you could not sell them. However when there's already so many sold and a whole lot more listed I don't see how it should be a policy violation amount of suspending the account. But since it is I'm going to go have a beer and watch a movie with my wife.

image-3358993912.jpg

image-13828675.jpg

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Realist with a buy it now and a new title and description so they don't pick up on it...

Sent from a empty soda can!

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Realist with a buy it now and a new title and description so they don't pick up on it... Sent from a empty soda can!

Going to have to wait until tomorrow. I can't do any listing tonight at all or tomorrow... so Saturday.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
eBay strictly forbids ivory? Regardless of age?

meanpc

Jun 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Realist with a buy it now and a new title and description so they don't pick up on it...

I don't know if that would be wise. At some point they might ban him and that would REALLY suck.

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't understand the ivory policy. I sold an ivory walrus a couple months ago. I'm not familiar with ivory so I listed it as faux ivory and found that it was similar to Alaskan native pieces. It was a one day auction, so it went quickly. I paid 99 cents for it and sold it to someone in Asia(via California) for about $70.

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
When I describe jewelry as "ivory" meaning the color, I get an error notice saying I can't sell ivory. Duh, I may be saying the colors are hunter green, dark brown, and ivory. I can't help it if the software picks up the word and can't realize it's a color and not an object.
That stinks. We used to have issues with things like this when I made boutique girls items. some ladies would list their stuff, Mickey Mouse, and Ebay would pull it, and sometimes they wouldn't. No rhyme or reason. the ladies were always hollering about it. (They would get around it by listing like, Mickey M0use, or with an * in there.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's what you do:

Take the tooth out of the jewelry. In your description, state that "Ebay rules forbid the selling of ivory, but there is one more piece of this that will be included with the sale." Don't say what it is.

Mike

dw171

Aug 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can always say its faux ivory to get around that then add it is likely genuine. That's easiest way to sell ivory on ebay.

meanpc

Jun 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would suggest you not sell it on there and risk your account.

Agreed. If you were just a casual part time seller it would be different. If you need the income you get from eBay, and you've already got two strikes (right or wrong), it just isn't worth it. This is the reason why I tend to shy away from sunglasses, purses and Beat headphones - too many good fakes out there that can jeopardize my ability to make a living.

meanpc

Jun 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beachkid - if your account gets suspended for a day, what happens? Are you just prohibited from starting new auctions for that day? Can people still pay for auctions that end during that day?

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've sold stuff and called it " Cow Bone " Buyers know exactly what you mean , one piece went for over $200.00 .

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Yeah, I wouldn't give up on it...

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beachkid - if your account gets suspended for a day, what happens? Are you just prohibited from starting new auctions for that day? Can people still pay for auctions that end during that day?

Yeah I can't list anything for a day. I still have stuff sell but I can't put anything up. But I'm just going to pull the gold off of it and throw the tooth away.

Last edited:

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beachkid - ill buy it from you and put it in my antique mall case!

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Ebay is WAY too PC on alot of issues. I had my account suspended once a few years ago for listing an AK47 buttstock. Got a nasty email about how selling "assault weapon" parts was not allowed. A piece of WOOD. I suppose someone could get a splinter from it and die.. Meanwhile at the very same time I was finding listings in the firearms parts section for "parts shotguns" which included the receiver (the federally registered part) as well as several pistol frames and other items that are completely illegal to sell without doing a proper transfer through a federally licensed gun dealer. Open a gunbroker account to sell the items you have that are not allowed by Ebay. They allow much more than just guns & gun parts. I'm betting your tooth would sell on there quickly.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread