S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DON'T CLICK ON THAT EBAY EMAIL PROMOTION OFFER

Just a heads up for all..... I been real busy, but important message:

DON'T CLICK ON THOSE EBAY EMAIL PROMOTIONS!

I say this because, the hackers are REAL good. I got an ebay offer yesterday, said I could open a store for 4 months for the low price of $5.95 a month, just click here...... well, that little voice inside that says, "it's a trap", LOL....... soooo
I click on "My Ebay" messages on the ebay site, sure a sugar, NO EMAIL from ebay on there.
So I call them, they say they DID NOT send me that email and to forward it to their spoof dept, don't click on it, etc......done.

Watch and be very very careful of any promotions that come from Paypal or Ebay, or even Etsy. Never click the email links! If the email is legit, it will be on that sites notifications, go to the site to accept the offers, do not do it through your email. Only accept offers from Ebay at "My Ebay" messages.

Just a heads up, as I got 2456 more listings, in my 2500 free bin offer, to go. :laughing7:
Go cat go! :cat: Good luck to you all, too!

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
most if not all modern browsers will show you the link in the lower left corner of your screen so Possibly hinky link should display the actual path at the bottom of the screen. its a quick way to see if your spidey senses are correct :D

The problem with that is these scammers have links that are very close to what the actual one could be, like www.paypal-offer.com but then I have fwd several emails that were not scams only because of the link name. The ligitimate sights do not start all their sights the way you would expext. here are a few for wellfargo

wellsfargo.com
online.wellsfargo.com
onlineservices.wellsfargo.com
wellsfargoworks.com
wellsfargoadvisors.com

these are all real WF sites. I will only respond to the first and assume the other 4 are frauds.

OP
OP
pat-tekker-cat

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I better update ya'll..... Right after midnight, I got the same message in my ebay messages, so I'm guessing maybe it is legit.
At this point, I still probably won't click on it, until I do call them again and confirm. Yesterday they didn't know they sent it, maybe today they will know more, idk, LOL.
Ya'll chime back in, if you get the same offer, in ebay messages.

Hey, better safe, than sorry, especially when it comes to these nasty hackers and virus mess! :nono: I really hate when the bells and whistles start going off on this laptop, I almost expect it to burst in to flames afterwards, LOL.
ok, 2440 more listings to go...... :laughing7:

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
The problem with that is these scammers have links that are very close to what the actual one could be, like www.paypal-offer.com but then I have fwd several emails that were not scams only because of the link name. The ligitimate sights do not start all their sights the way you would expext. here are a few for wellfargo

wellsfargo.com
online.wellsfargo.com
onlineservices.wellsfargo.com
wellsfargoworks.com
wellsfargoadvisors.com

these are all real WF sites. I will only respond to the first and assume the other 4 are frauds.

Dan,

The first 3 wellsfargo links in your list are the same domain.

All anyone has to look at is the "domain.com" portion of any URL to determine authenticity. Anything before or after that is just another legitimate portion of their own website.

sgtrmd

Tenderfoot
Nov 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just received this same offer in my Ebay messages.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dan,

The first 3 wellsfargo links in your list are the same domain.

All anyone has to look at is the "domain.com" portion of any URL to determine authenticity. Anything before or after that is just another legitimate portion of their own website.

I was just using that as an example. If t is says anything other than "wellfargo" before the dot com I am leary. I don't have the desire to authenticate every variation of a companies URL before I click on a link. Those big companies should know better than having various website names. The scammers do the same thing.

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I got it, but I didn't see it in my email. I saw it in my ebay messages. I signed up for the store, I am so pissed. They neglected to tell me that all the things I was getting for free now cost money. No more free 'bin'. No more free scheduling it for later.
I'm not sure if I will keep the store.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scammers are very good now. They can forge everything so it looks 100% authentic..................... except one place: SOURCE CODE

If you look carefully at the source code of any email, it will show the true origin.

Also, as has already been stated ....... don't click on ANYTHING that comes to your personal email. If Ebay sends you any offers, they will come to both your email AND your Ebay Messages. Only click on links AFTER you are inside the websites (Ebay, Paypal, etc).

Mike

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
I think what Gollum is referring to are the email headers. A few email services strip IP addresses out of the headers but most do not. There are free services online that will analyze the headers and tell you where they are coming from. Here is one that I have used many times:

Complete email header analysis. Analyse, track ip here

This same site also has WHOIS tools which will allow you to find out who owns the any domain you are interested in.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread