Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
My turn to complain...

I ADMIT IT! Sometimes I can be that "problem buyer". I don't expect much sympathy for this post but here goes...

Recently purchased a rare LP from the UK. The shipping was 20 GBP. Now I buy stuff from overseas all the time and it is typically between 5-10 GBP for just about everything I have ever bought from the UK. I JUST bought a pair of sneakers from the UK and shipping was only 15 GBP and that was the most I have ever paid.

That all being said, when the auction ended for the LP, I requested an invoice and asked the seller to lower the shipping price to something more reasonable. Based on the sneakers purchase, I am willing to pay up to 15 GBP.

I know, I know... I shouldn't have bid if I didnt like the price. However, I try to be a reasonable person every day of my life and I expect others to do the same, especially when we are doing business.

End rant.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rant heard, at least you could tell us what the rare LP was. I bought a bunch of British release LPs when I was there in 1970, Stones, original Fleetwood Mack, etc. Yup, gotta watch the shipping costs!! Perhaps they need extra insurance to make sure a record arrives all the way from over the pond in one piece.

JustinNH

Apr 10, 2012
NH
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Were the other sellers eating some of the shipping costs or do you know the actual postage paid? I don't normally buy from GB, so I don't know.

You should have asked if he was willing to adjust to actual cost prior to bidding, but I am sure you saw this response coming.

"However, I try to be a reasonable person every day of my life and I expect others to do the same, especially when we are doing business."

Based on that, you agreed to his terms of business (bid = sale contract) as it were and if he does not adjust shipping, it would be unreasonable for you to ding his stars due to that.

Please note- I don't mean for that to come across mean or anything like that - you know it is hard to display intent/emotion through typing online. Just my thoughts as a seller.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sry...I disagree, With your way of doing business. You bid, you can't be upset with someone after the bid for not changing it to what you want. Shipping is a part of the bid.

JustinNH is right!

Any problems or disagreements should have been worked out before hand. It's final now, It would be bad business, and unreasonable to try to change or negotiate after the bid.

I too think some of these shipping rates are high! I don't try to change it, I just don't support those sellers, by not buying from them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jerseyben

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Were the other sellers eating some of the shipping costs or do you know the actual postage paid? I don't normally buy from GB, so I don't know.

You should have asked if he was willing to adjust to actual cost prior to bidding, but I am sure you saw this response coming.

"However, I try to be a reasonable person every day of my life and I expect others to do the same, especially when we are doing business."

Based on that, you agreed to his terms of business (bid = sale contract) as it were and if he does not adjust shipping, it would be unreasonable for you to ding his stars due to that.

Please note- I don't mean for that to come across mean or anything like that - you know it is hard to display intent/emotion through typing online. Just my thoughts as a seller.

You are assuming that I plan on dinging him for this. I never said I would do that... and I won't.

Take what I said for face value... That I expect him to offer a reasonable shipping price BASED ON PAST REAL WORLD EXPERIENCES. That's it. Period.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
With me it is like this if i do not like the shipping cost i do not make a bid …… And if i sell a item and the buyer comes back and ask me to lower my shipping cost … I would have to tell him sorry but that is what i want for the shipping …If you do not like it you should have not bid.. Like i said i will not bid on item's with shipping cost i do not like..or i think is to high..

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are assuming that I plan on dinging him for this. I never said I would do that... and I won't.

Take what I said for face value... That I expect him to offer a reasonable shipping price BASED ON PAST REAL WORLD EXPERIENCES. That's it. Period.

:laughing7: And the seller expects you to Be a person of your word, and honor your contract without negotiating after you "signed" the contract with your bid! THAT IS THE REAL WORLD. The seller is being reasonable! There are other costs that some people put in with shipping. Some don't. A good business accounts for their time and materials when shipping. Some include it in the price. :dontknow:

So you paid too much for a record with shipping costs? Is that the real problem? :laughing7: Jkg That would be my past experience.:laughing7:

Unless it said buyer pays actual shipping. If that's what you mean? Then that might be a little different.

Last edited:

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW. I'm sure you aren't going to like to hear this, but If I were the seller I would be contacting eBay, blocking you from any future business, and ranting about the ridiculous buyer who asked me to change the terms of the auction after the fact. Surprising to hear from an experienced eBay user.

Last edited:

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Come on Ben! Why are you putting a black eye on the fine state on NJ. :)

If I was seller, I would say no, block you, and report you if you gave negative feedback. Not a cool move.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20 GBP is high I'll admit. However, any requests for reduced shipping should have been done prior to bidding or it should have been incorporated into the total you were willing to bid. To complain about it after the fact doesn't really accomplish anything and kind of puts you in a bad light as a buyer.

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed, if shipping is to high don't bid. I think it's ridiculous to ask after the fact for lower shipping. You can't expect everyone to be "reasonable". But you already knew this would be the way most of the responses would be to your post.

OP
OP
jerseyben

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Agreed, if shipping is to high don't bid. I think it's ridiculous to ask after the fact for lower shipping. You can't expect everyone to be "reasonable". But you already knew this would be the way most of the responses would be to your post.

Yep. Knew the responses I would get. Doesn't bother me.

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a big deal, but I think the ability to accept and respond to feedback from your peers is something I like in people. Can you share your ebay username so I can block you? jk

Baltimore

Feb 18, 2013
Maryland/Vermont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have definitely requested that sellers lower their shipping prices. I buy and sell enough that I have a pretty good idea of how much it costs to ship things, so when someone is trying to charge me $15 to ship two hats from Pennsylvania to Baltimore that will weigh maybe 8 oz I call them on it. I once had a woman try to charge me $30 to ship 2 t shirts and 6 hats from cali to baltimore. I finally got her to lower it to $20, and she was upset with me because she was "probably going to lose money on this sale". I got the package, the postage was $12. So I totally get what you're saying, sometimes it is completely within your rights to ask the seller to lower the shipping cost, but at the same time it would be best done before the sale is finalized.

Paleo_joe

Mar 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a seller, my buyers either pay up per the terms of the auction or the transaction gets cancelled.

As a buyer, I won't bid on items with high shipping, because a person who would overcharge you for shipping is a person who might be looking to get over on you elsewhere.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Don't bid if you don't like the shipping price...that's it...period.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have definitely requested that sellers lower their shipping prices. I buy and sell enough that I have a pretty good idea of how much it costs to ship things, so when someone is trying to charge me $15 to ship two hats from Pennsylvania to Baltimore that will weigh maybe 8 oz I call them on it. I once had a woman try to charge me $30 to ship 2 t shirts and 6 hats from cali to baltimore. I finally got her to lower it to $20, and she was upset with me because she was "probably going to lose money on this sale". I got the package, the postage was $12. So I totally get what you're saying, sometimes it is completely within your rights to ask the seller to lower the shipping cost, but at the same time it would be best done before the sale is finalized.
Might be within your rights to do but its still wrong...don't bid if you don't like shipping price...people know that their shipping price is higher than it should be, they are trying to make extra money and that's ok...don't bid on it if you don't like the shipping price, when you do, its your problem, not theirs.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep. Knew the responses I would get. Doesn't bother me.
Ive come to learn over the years that the things people say don't bother them, bother them the most. :laughing7:

Baltimore

Feb 18, 2013
Maryland/Vermont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Might be within your rights to do but its still wrong...don't bid if you don't like shipping price...people know that their shipping price is higher than it should be, they are trying to make extra money and that's ok...don't bid on it if you don't like the shipping price, when you do, its your problem, not theirs.

I guess I understand. I suppose I'd rather just have a seller charge whatever they want for the item and then charge me the actual shipping cost instead of making an item seem cheap but then hiding the actual cost in the shipping. It just seems sneaky to me, but I understand if you don't agree.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess I understand. I suppose I'd rather just have a seller charge whatever they want for the item and then charge me the actual shipping cost instead of making an item seem cheap but then hiding the actual cost in the shipping. It just seems sneaky to me, but I understand if you don't agree.
I understand where your coming from too...I don't like when someone is overcharging for shipping and I wont buy from them when they do.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread