New ebay Spring Seller Updates

jason4kstate

Jun 23, 2007
I was wondering if any of you have seen this from ebay this morning. This is what I have gathered:

-The amount of free monthly listings went from 100 to 20
-If you pay for an auction insertion fee (.30 cents) and that item sells you will be credited back the money

There were a few other things but I haven't soaked it in yet. Does anyone have any strategies to deal with the changes? As far as I gather this is just another fee increase. I am thinking about just paying the insertion fee, which will be expensive, on all of my listings and just have things gradually sell.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can not say in print what I was thinking. yes, just another way to screw with the seller, all the time telling them how much better it is. They must be retired politicians.

There is no way I can limit my listings to 20 a month, I put up 14 alone sunday evening. Their 100 free really helped me make a record year on feeBay.

What if you have a 7 day auction at 30¢ listing fee? it does not sell do you keep paying that same fee over and over till it sells?

When they gave the 100 free I actually thought they were doing this to help the seller.

Well one thing for sure me listings will go down, I will make less sales and feeBay will make less money off me. Those suits "upstairs" proved again how intelligent they were. NOT!

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cyberdan - you don't have an eBay store? whats your avg volume?

OP
OP
J

jason4kstate

Jun 23, 2007
Well I'm done with ebay. I just called them. Apparently if you list it for .30 cents and it doesn't sell you are out the .30 cents. How on earth are they going to make any money?

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jason - what is the average value of an item you sell on eBay?

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Open a basic store. 2.5 items pays for your store for the month. You get like 100 free listings. You can call monthly and ask for more free listings. To be honest $25/ month to sell your stuff is pretty cheap. The flea market here is $25/day. Of coarse there is not 13% fees though.

OP
OP
J

jason4kstate

Jun 23, 2007
They are going to change the store subscription to 150 fixed price listings and 100 listings in the "Collectible" category. Since what I sell is jewelry the 100 listings in collectibles does me no good. Reading through their policy changes is like reading hieroglyphics. My wife and I have MBA's and its still difficult to understand. This chart might clear things up...Rate Plans | eBay Seller Center

leadnbrass

Apr 2, 2005
Shenandoah Valley VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Open a basic store. 2.5 items pays for your store for the month. You get like 100 free listings. You can call monthly and ask for more free listings. To be honest $25/ month to sell your stuff is pretty cheap. The flea market here is $25/day. Of coarse there is not 13% fees though.

it appears that store listings are going to be affected as well.

i have a store with 500 listings (anything) now. If I'm reading it right you will only get 500 FIXED PRICE listings and an extra 100 AUCTION listing only in the collectable category. So it appears to me they are screwing with everyone.

Sad part is I will continue using EBay as they are the only gig in town.

JustinNH

Apr 10, 2012
NH
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a store, Im fine with the changes, but my wife and friends who sell a little here and there (but more than 20 listings a month) are kinda screwed.
I list fixed price, unless either I know it will sell right away as an auction or there is a free promo.

Seems like they are trying to weed out low volume sellers. So you either begin to list a little more now that you open a new store, or you just sell a casual 20/month.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sum*****es are trying to get people to open a store, that's what this is all about. It never ends with these aholes.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I haven't read through the updates yet. What I've heard doesn't make much sense. It seems like they have been trying to push people towards running auctions for quite a while. Lowering the number of auctions a store owner can have for free while raising the number of BINs allowed is counter to that.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't read through the updates yet. What I've heard doesn't make much sense. It seems like they have been trying to push people towards running auctions for quite a while. Lowering the number of auctions a store owner can have for free while raising the number of BINs allowed is counter to that.
Rate Plans | eBay Seller Center

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand nobody likes to spend money they dont have to, but really? 30 cents IF an item doesn't sell is this big of a deal? Ebay is going to do what is best for them and their shareholders, EVERYTIME. If that means encouraging people to slighly reduce their prices so more items sell and not just sit in limbo, and more final value fees can be collected Im not going to blame them. Open a store, reduce your prices, change your strategy.....adapt or die. Look at the big picture!!!

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I just read the update. Not something I'm happy about but I'll work around it. With a basic store I still get 150 BIN listings, maximum final value fees of 9% & 100 "collectibles" auctions. There are some things I like to try an auction with before I list as a BIN that don't fall under "collectibles". Here's a list direct from eBay showing what they are calling "collectibles:

• Antiques
  • Art
  • Coins & Paper Money
  • Collectibles
  • Dolls & Bears
  • Entertainment Memorabilia
  • Pottery & Glass
  • Sports Memorabilia, Cards & Fan Shop
  • Stamps
  • Toys & Hobbies

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I understand nobody likes to spend money they dont have to, but really? 30 cents IF an item doesn't sell is this big of a deal? Ebay is going to do what is best for them and their shareholders, EVERYTIME. If that means encouraging people to slighly reduce their prices so more items sell and not just sit in limbo, and more final value fees can be collected Im not going to blame them. Open a store, reduce your prices, change your strategy.....adapt or die. Look at the big picture!!!

Joe you got it!

The amount of crap that is sitting on ebay is astonishing. People list stuff just to see what sticks. It takes almost zero business ability or know-how to list something. Thus, you have droves of people listing utter junk for outrageous prices simply because they can. I am happy to see the issue addressed.

Paleo_joe

Mar 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For me, it's just an increase in the hassle factor. I am talking to a lot of people who are buying the same places I am buying, and they are selling at actual local auctions, and I'm starting to move in that direction myself. Not because ebay has a right to make money, but because IMHO it's flailing and acting like it's being run by a bunch of Finance MBAs. (And I have an MBA so I can say that.)

dw171

Aug 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just read the update. Not something I'm happy about but I'll work around it. With a basic store I still get 150 BIN listings, maximum final value fees of 9% & 100 "collectibles" auctions. There are some things I like to try an auction with before I list as a BIN that don't fall under "collectibles". Here's a list direct from eBay showing what they are calling "collectibles:

• Antiques
  • Art
  • Coins & Paper Money
  • Collectibles
  • Dolls & Bears
  • Entertainment Memorabilia
  • Pottery & Glass
  • Sports Memorabilia, Cards & Fan Shop
  • Stamps
  • Toys & Hobbies

Rate Plans | eBay Seller Center

Coins and stamps will only have 6% rate not 9%. Takes effect on May 1.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions