Ebay fulltime- the end is near...

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's been nearly 2 yrs of full time ebay. I have a job interview next week at a call center for tv/ electronics repair - not too exciting. But with the kids getting older, insurance is too much money and other things... I think it's time to go back to a job. 2nd shift from 5-1:30 am I believe. Once my daughter is in school maybe going back to electrician.

I love being here with my daughter. But bottom line: insurance is rough, bills don't stop: my wife just had surgery and my daughter is about to and hers is not covered under her insurance, unless we wait Til July!!! $5k in med bills in 7 days. Erases any gain from the start of this year.

Basically this daddy needs to get some extra income to take care of the extra bills.. Hi, how may I help you?

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck with the interview next week!

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't you have to live in India to work in a call center? ;)
All your customers will be lucky you speak english with no accent, unless of course you grew up in long island or Alabama.
Good luck in you new job. Insurance can be a #$%%$# all the time.

Wish your daughter good luck. Mine needs knee tendon surgery but she is putting it off, she can only be on my insurance two more years.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't you have to live in India to work in a call center? ;) All your customers will be lucky you speak english with no accent, unless of course you grew up in long island or Alabama. Good luck in you new job. Insurance can be a #$%%$# all the time. Wish your daughter good luck. Mine needs knee tendon surgery but she is putting it off, she can only be on my insurance two more years.
It fell through. What a shame! I'm disappointed. actually we got a reimbursement check for my wife's surgery so that helped. We will see what happens after summer and the kids go back to school. I don't like the idea of paying daycare for three kids the whole summer vacation and having to work I won't even see the check. At $125 a week times three! Leaves a negitive income I believe! It will work out. Always does...

I'm actually going on a buy on Thursday. And then another one on Saturday then I am done until the end of next month most likely unless I get a phone call. And until after I get my taxes done so that should be a while to until that happens. Plus I want to get the rest of my business licenses. There is a course being offered that I want to take as well and also get my advertising stuff taken care of. so basically I'm giving my wife my debit card for the next six weeks until I can get the stuff taken care of and try to sell off a lot of the huge collection of crap I have here.

Now let's not talk about all the stuff that needs to be fixed around the house as well.... Lol

Last edited:

explorapalooza

Tenderfoot
Mar 25, 2015
Coast-to-Coast Florida
Detector(s) used
BH QDP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey there beachkid23! I want to wish you good luck in your business endeavors, and also say Thanks for your posts here on TN. I've found, then sold, a couple items at the local thrift stores and yard sales that I wouldn't have even thought to get if it wasn't for you. I just recently have been doing really good in the Dumpster Diving area and will probably mainly focus on that for now. I want to encourage others, like you have, to search out this "treasure" that is all around us and keep on posting them. The advice and tips others give is really incalculable to me and other newbies, but I want to Thank ya'll for that too! (By the way, I grew up in Fort Myers/ Misery!) HA!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should def. get back into being an electrician if that's what you are trained for. Nice decent paying blue collar job. Getting your masters license will help too. Nothing wrong with $25-$30 an hour.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree with Diggummup, I've worked with skilled trades, union and non, for 40 years. I've seen billing rates up North run $80 an hour, depends on skill levels.

In Michigan a journeyman, after a 5 year apprenticeship, will make ~ $32 an hour. The hall of course gets about equal on top of that.

The cheapest I've seen non-union electrical trades, on large projects, is a pay rate of around $22 - 25 an hour down here, though I do know a skilled electrical tradesman right now in North Carolina making $19 an hour.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Diggummup, I've worked with skilled trades, union and non, for 40 years. I've seen billing rates up North run $80 an hour, depends on skill levels.

In Michigan a journeyman, after a 5 year apprenticeship, will make ~ $32 an hour. The hall of course gets about equal on top of that.

The cheapest I've seen non-union electrical trades, on large projects, is a pay rate of around $22 - 25 an hour down here, though I do know a skilled electrical tradesman right now in North Carolina making $19 an hour.
Yeah, I think Florida has one of the lowest pay rates for electricians actually. My dad was a union electrician (master), worked for FPL at the Turkey Point Nuclear facility for years before he retired. He made somewhere north of $30 an hour doing basically nothing, changing light bulbs or something.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I think Florida has one of the lowest pay rates for electricians actually. My dad was a union electrician (master), worked for FPL at the Turkey Point Nuclear facility for years before he retired. He made somewhere north of $30 an hour doing basically nothing, changing light bulbs or something.

I got written up for drilling holes in my hardhat one time because it was so hot outside I was digging trenches for three weeks. I thought I'm 6 '5 no one here will ever see them!!! except for when I was digging in the trenches ... supervisor walked by and saw them in my hat.

The second time I got written up was when a guy I worked with wanted to go get water and the supervisor said no you can get water when the job is done. Well I left to go get water instead and he had a stroke while I was gone. Died on the way to the hospital. Next day we have a meeting and there is this huge bees nest that moved in underneath our trailer thousands of bees. So We didn't have a meeting and they called in a company and exterminated them. So after the weekend they have the meeting now and he wanted to say some stuff about the guy who died. And he had asked if anyone had any comments. (So me being the person that likes to say something smart ass at The most convenient times.... ) After they got done saying we are family and we need to work together, I asked him if we were all his worker bees! And then after he said yes that's a good analogy you are our worker bees!!! so I asked him if he was going to exterminate us also... Just like dave?

They told me I am in a right to work state and they can fire me for any reason whatsoever. That I needed to keep my mouth shut and do my job! I said okay and quit a week later. Went to a better place to work. I couldn't deal with the fact a friend of mine died because the company used their bullying to push people around. You do this or you're fired every single day!!!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got written up for drilling holes in my hardhat one time because it was so hot outside I was digging trenches for three weeks. I thought I'm 6 '5 no one here will ever see them!!! except for when I was digging in the trenches ... supervisor walked by and saw them in my hat.

The second time I got written up was when a guy I worked with wanted to go get water and the supervisor said no you can get water when the job is done. Well I left to go get water instead and he had a stroke while I was gone. Died on the way to the hospital. Next day we have a meeting and there is this huge bees nest that moved in underneath our trailer thousands of bees. So We didn't have a meeting and they called in a company and exterminated them. So after the weekend they have the meeting now and he wanted to say some stuff about the guy who died. And he had asked if anyone had any comments. (So me being the person that likes to say something smart ass at The most convenient times.... ) After they got done saying we are family and we need to work together, I asked him if we were all his worker bees! And then after he said yes that's a good analogy you are our worker bees!!! so I asked him if he was going to exterminate us also... Just like dave?

They told me I am in a right to work state and they can fire me for any reason whatsoever. That I needed to keep my mouth shut and do my job! I said okay and quit a week later. Went to a better place to work. I couldn't deal with the fact a friend of mine died because the company used their bullying to push people around. You do this or you're fired every single day!!!
Sounds like negligence to me. I would have went to the family of the deceased and told them to get a lawyer immediately and sue the lowlife. I'll be your number one witness to him being denied a water break, and the subsequent stroke that followed thereafter taking his life. This is partly why I work for myself. I don't take kindly to slave drivers or threats, especially on a daily basis.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other

and that... is a prime example of why unions are important.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like negligence to me. I would have went to the family of the deceased and told them to get a lawyer immediately and sue the lowlife. I'll be your number one witness to him being denied a water break, and the subsequent stroke that followed thereafter taking his life. This is partly why I work for myself. I don't take kindly to slave drivers or threats, especially on a daily basis.

They got shut down after I left. I met with this guy, don't remember his name. Works for a company called... Hmmm.... OSHA..... Nice guy! Did was was right. Two times with the same dude for two different incidents. 1st one was just something horrifying I witnessed. With a different company though.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I have another job interview today. For something that seems a little more interesting. I called this company over the weekend and they said to call back today well the manager of the company actually called me from the caller ID and wanted to know when I could come in for an interview. So I have an interview with an a/c company today at 4:00. They pay better than doing electrical work anyways at least around here! But there's benefits as well and health insurance so that will save me $200 month since I'm paying my own anyways. So here so 4 o'clock going to the pool with the kids for a bit. Then headed back down town for a meeting with Jim! Funny thing is he asked me do you do drugs and I said no. Then he asked if I have a criminal background record and I said no and he asked me to hold for a second and I heard him say in the background this guys good! So I'm a little rusty it's been a while so I may have to watch some YouTube videos tonight on AC repair. I'm probably more out of shape than anything but a couple Attics will change that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread