2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never sold on there. I'm curious as to how payment transfers? When I have ordered off of amazon I had to enter credit card info. They do not use Paypal?

FloridaHunter

Dec 6, 2004
Florida
Amazon fba

I was selling on Ebay for years and i was looking for something better/easier. I started last year using Amazon FBA and love it!!! It is sooooo much easier than ebay. I mainly sell books, puzzles, games and toys. But the books are where i make the most $$$:icon_thumright:. I just wanted to get everyone's thought's on it.

I have been looking at getting into this and have done a lot of research. The only thing stopping me is the fees. How can I sell a 5 dollar book and still make a profit?

OP
OP
Eagle101

Eagle101

Jul 22, 2012
New England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Gold,
Garrett AT Pro. Makro racer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No it goes through your checking account. They deposit your money every 2 weeks. Watch the videos on YouTube. I started in December and I'm already selling $2,000 + a month just with books...

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
No it goes through your checking account. They deposit your money every 2 weeks. Watch the videos on YouTube. I started in December and I'm already selling $2,000 + a month just with books...
That is what i like about Amazon they put your money right into your checking account .. But what is Amazon FBA ..?

OP
OP
Eagle101

Eagle101

Jul 22, 2012
New England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fulfillment by amazon. You send the items to Amazon and they do all the work. So much better than ebay.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I'm in the very beginning stages of researching FBA. Love the idea & am very interested in doing it just not sure where/how to get started. Out of that $2000+/month how much does Amazon keep? I've heard around 30%. Does that sound about right?

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am sure I am missing something here. But are you not already doing all the work by shipping to Amazon? Or do you send your item to Amazon and they take pictures and list the item then mail them?

OP
OP
Eagle101

Eagle101

Jul 22, 2012
New England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The difference is I can list, box up and ship to amazon 250 books in about 3 hours. Ebay that would take me a week with the pictures and description. Then if it sells boxing it up. I'm not trying to sell this to anyone. I'm just telling you my opinion. I make way more money with no headache from buyers complaining about bs stuff to get your item for free.

I pay on average 50 cents per book. It cost me 23 cents to ship it to Amazon. You can add in gas and time. So let's call it 1 dollar. I get on average $15 per book. After fees and everything I profit around $10. Never did I do those margins on ebay with no headaches.

My books sell and they deposit money. I don't have to do anything once it sells!! It's amazing.

OP
OP
Eagle101

Eagle101

Jul 22, 2012
New England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm in the very beginning stages of researching FBA. Love the idea & am very interested in doing it just not sure where/how to get started. Out of that $2000+/month how much does Amazon keep? I've heard around 30%. Does that sound about right?

That's about right it depends on the cost of the item. If you sell a book for $75 you get about $60...but you paid around $1.

My main things are books. I get them everywhere. Salvation army, yard sales, free stuff on craigslist...There's an app for your phone called amazon flow. It's amazing you can scan the cover of the book and it instantly tells you the price.

OP
OP
Eagle101

Eagle101

Jul 22, 2012
New England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been looking at getting into this and have done a lot of research. The only thing stopping me is the fees. How can I sell a 5 dollar book and still make a profit?

I never sell a book for less than $9.99. If it sells for that after what I pay I get about $5. It's not worth my time. I love college books. I pay less than $1 and get usually between $30-$200

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Do you really have to be into books to know how to price them? Or does Amazon price them? I looked up a couple books that I had to sell and other sellers had them listed for like a nickel with $4 shipping. Do you have to look for obscure books? How to guides?Don't want all of your secrets but curious if I have anything laying around to get me started. I have a booth at an antique mall and have lots of opportunities to buy all kinds of stuff. Would love any help to get me rolling. Thanks for starting the thread.

OP
OP
Eagle101

Eagle101

Jul 22, 2012
New England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you look at the ones selling for .01 with $3.99 shipping. Those are individual sellers. For some reason 70% of people will only buy from Amazon. So if you keep looking until you see the same book listed "Amazon fulfilled" you'll get $9.99 for that same book.

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
If you look at the ones selling for .01 with $3.99 shipping. Those are individual sellers. For some reason 70% of people will only buy from Amazon. So if you keep looking until you see the same book listed "Amazon fulfilled" you'll get $9.99 for that same book.

Incredible. Will check into that. People love their Prime. I know I do but dayumm... Guess I better go read the fine print about fees, income taxes etc. Thanks for the reply I may jump into this thing and go nuts.

Turbo21

Bronze Member
Jun 24, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eurotek pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's about right it depends on the cost of the item. If you sell a book for $75 you get about $60...but you paid around $1.

My main things are books. I get them everywhere. Salvation army, yard sales, free stuff on craigslist...There's an app for your phone called amazon flow. It's amazing you can scan the cover of the book and it instantly tells you the price.

Thanks for the tip on the Amazon flow app

Very cool app and you can get prices way faster than doing a Google search or checking completed listings

OP
OP
Eagle101

Eagle101

Jul 22, 2012
New England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Like I said watch the videos on YouTube. It helped me out big time.

dogteam

Jul 31, 2012
Edmonton, AB
Detector(s) used
Eurotek Pro, 8" coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been told to pay attention to the Amazon sales ranking....it gives you an idea of how long it might take to sell. Anything under 200,000 is not bad. That being said, I sell quite a few "obscure" titles that you would think might never sell...simply because I have the only available copy.
Being in Canada, with outrageous postal rates, I have to stay above the $20.00 mark to make any money (costs me at least $12 to mail a small book, and Amazon only reimburses $6 and change.) I try and avoid large coffee table books, even though you can make a good profit on the right ones. Architectural and design sell well.
I like to watch for obscure archaeological titles. Some people do very well focusing on western/cowboy stuff.
I haven't tried FBA. I like Amazon because if you ship yourself, you can list tons of books and you pay nothing unless you sell. Zero pain...just wait for the orders to come.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought about it but you have to pay rent to house everything. Did you include that is the fees you mentioned? I had over 50 books listed on half.com but pulled most. I was going to donate them. They are just taking up too much space and not selling on half. might look into that phone program amazon flow and scan those books.

JustinNH

Apr 10, 2012
NH
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just signed up a week ago. Printed the fba labels for my first shipment last night... probably send in my first shipment in the next few days. Been so busy I wanted to source more but figured a small shipment there was better than a small shipment sitting on my couch. Once work slows down a bit, hopefully I can get out and scan more.

OP
OP
Eagle101

Eagle101

Jul 22, 2012
New England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good job. It was nice doing it all winter while I was snowed in and had nothing to do. Let me know if you have any questions. I'll be glad to help if I can.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread