eBay Shipping Options

mkulltra

Nov 14, 2012
South Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone here list with more than ome shipping option on their listings? I would think that by having multiple shipping options on items that the buyer might want expedited may cause them to buy an item from you rather than your competitor. I'm thinking about items like car parts, potential gift item, or things that are needed like a laptop battery or charger.

My theory is that if you listed two of the same items but one has multiple shipping option, that one would be more likely to sell.

bdsawyer

Feb 25, 2014
North Dakota
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I always list at least two options if they are heavier than 2 lbs. 5 or more pounds I add priority mail, USPS parcel select, FedEx, and Ups ground. Then they can pick fastest or cheapest option.

Just from experience, do not have priority mail as your first option on heavier items. People will message u and complain about high shipping prices instead of looking for the other options.

dw171

Aug 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do priority mail for almost everything (free boxes and insurance). If someone wants it expedited they can always ask. I've had one person ask for overnight mail.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I may try multiple options but currently use the economy option and when I actually ship I choose the cheapest which is often priority.

Sent from a empty soda can!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I offer one shipping option only with a set price for shipping. I ship priority or 1st class 98% of the time, unless it's really heavy and doesn't fit in a flat rate box of any size. I have yet to have someone ask about alternative shipping methods or complain about prices. I try to incorporate my 10% fee into it also.

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I either offer 2 shipping methods, 1st class and priority, or just priority.
Sometimes I offer free shipping, mostly at the holidays and high ticket items. One time I've had someone choose priority over first class.

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I offer one shipping option only with a set price for shipping. I ship priority or 1st class 98% of the time, unless it's really heavy and doesn't fit in a flat rate box of any size. I have yet to have someone ask about alternative shipping methods or complain about prices. I try to incorporate my 10% fee into it also.

I added "free shipping" to the BIN/Make Offer auction, knowing I had room to cover the cost in the profit margin...and I believe it was a Free auction, since it was "my first sale".... It sold two days later at the BIN level without the buyer even making an Offer... BUT,

When I went to use the Ebay printed postage page, when finished and I pressed the last box, it grayed-out and the fine print said I had to have another credit card on file. Why does Ebay require another credit card when the PayPal card works for everything else and has a zero balance?

I didn't want to add another card number out there in Digital Land, so I guess I'll pack the item and take it to the Post Office for insurance and signature required delivery on Monday morning.

Did anyone else have to use a second credit card to pay the shipping costs through Ebay?

Thanks,
Bill

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
It pulls my shipping costs correctly out of my PayPal account. I have one CC on file for monthly billing

Paleo_joe

Mar 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ebay and paypal were the same company, and now they are splitting up. That might have something to do with it.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I noticed that my monthly ebay payment comes directly out of my bank account, even though I have money in my paypal account.

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I noticed that my monthly ebay payment comes directly out of my bank account, even though I have money in my paypal account.

You can set it up to take it out of your PayPal balance or CC.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread