Very Tarnished 1900-10 Sterling Trophies - clean or not?

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would polish it up. Shiny silver always sells better than tarnished silver. Retaining the original "patina" on silver isn't the same as most antiques, cleaning is acceptable. Though some will disagree, especially when it comes to certain jewelry. How? Silver polish, plenty of soft clean rags and elbow grease, unless you have a vessel big enough for the aluminum foil method-
Remove Tarnish from Silver

CladSpends2

Jan 11, 2010
Wilton, Maine
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Hello, I try and stay smart enough to never disagree with Diggum, but I have one thought to add: If these are bowls, shining them up will magnify any dings and imperfections. I think if it were me I would list them with "period correct" patina and mention letting the buyer decide whether or not to clean them. I apologize in advance for being wrong, Digs.

T.

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello, I try and stay smart enough to never disagree with Diggum, but I have one thought to add: If these are bowls, shining them up will magnify any dings and imperfections. I think if it were me I would list them with "period correct" patina and mention letting the buyer decide whether or not to clean them. I apologize in advance for being wrong, Digs.

That's what I do. If there is a hallmark that is very hard to see, I will touch up so it is more visible in the pictures. I always end off the auction with saying it is up to the new owner to decide what they want to do. BTW, I forgot what it was, but I did shine something up to find out later it was supposed to be tarnished. Oh well.

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other

That's what I do. If there is a hallmark that is very hard to see, I will touch up so it is more visible in the pictures. I always end off the auction with saying it is up to the new owner to decide what they want to do. BTW, I forgot what it was, but I did shine something up to find out later it was supposed to be tarnished. Oh well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread