buyer returned item broken

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I sold a vintage watch. I knew it worked when I sent it out. The buyer wrote right away that the "arms don't move and the watch doesn't work". I wrote back that I am very surprised, since the watch worked fine before I sent it out. I got a little nervous, maybe I didn't set the time, just wound it up? I told him to send it back. I remembered that when I first got it, I did set the time. More than once. When I got it today, it was obvious that he had over wound it, and the crown was broken. I was annoyed, but I didn't want him to open a case against me. I refunded the money, less shipping. I was on the phone with Ebay to get my fees back. They told me that I do not have to refund. If it ever happens again, and I am sure I sent it out in good working order, then let them open a case, and I should escalate it. My fear is, do sellers ever win? How do you prove that you really did have a working watch and that the buyer broke it?

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Photos, lots of photos. But a watch is a hard one to prove. If the crown is broken and its overwound maybe he/she switched out the working part for a different one. Did it have serial #? Fight back (open a case) if you know you are right. To many shady characters out there.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sold a pair of Waterford glasses a few weeks ago. As soon as the buyer received them they post a picture saying one has a big scratch. It sure had a scratch on the one in the picture. I suspect they had one of theirs with a scratch and we agreed on a 30% credit. They had me on that one, because they would have just returned the scratch glass had I said they could return it for credit. Not much you can do about these disatisfied buyers on eBay, but meet their demands on condition issues.

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I refuse to do eBay anymore because of this scam crap. Too many dishonest ppl out and the wonderful web only allows us to come in contact with more and more crooked dishonest sickening lying A-- crooks..can u tell I don't like the eBay scammers yet?

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A short video of the watch working in your listing would have been good evidence. Course, hindsight is 20/20. Luckily the scammers are very few and far between in my own experience.

In over a decade of selling on eBay, I had one person claim damage on a Roseville vase that they themselves chipped while unwrapping it from the bubble wrap, with a pair of scissors or similar object. I couldn't actually prove it even though the portion of the vase that was damaged would have been impossible to happen any other way, much less while in transit.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I refuse to do eBay anymore because of this scam crap. Too many dishonest ppl out and the wonderful web only allows us to come in contact with more and more crooked dishonest sickening lying A-- crooks..can u tell I don't like the eBay scammers yet?

You are only hurting yourself. Scammers are everwhere, not just on eBay. I have run my own business, scammers were live in person. I have worked in the restaurant industry and had plenty of people try to scam me/my employers. I work on the phone now and daily people lie to me try to scam me over the phone. Every day I get emails with people trying to scam me. Check out this link: https://sellercentral.amazon.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=2489867 Amazon sellers talking about people scamming them. This is the world we live in. 99% of transactions there are no problems, 1% you need to deal with scum. If you dont want to be scammed, dont leave your house, dont open your email, dont open your door, and dont answer your telephone.

OP
OP
M

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
A short video of the watch working in your listing would have been good evidence.

This is actually a fantastic idea. My buyers don't know, but I have tons of other pictures that I don't post that could prove what I am saying. But like you say, a watch, hard to prove. I guess a video would be good enough proof. Thanks so much for the idea.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is actually a fantastic idea. My buyers don't know, but I have tons of other pictures that I don't post that could prove what I am saying. But like you say, a watch, hard to prove. I guess a video would be good enough proof. Thanks so much for the idea.
It would also work on many other things that have moving parts or run on batteries or electric.

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there a way to add a video to the description of an item for a regular listing or do you need a special format? This would be awesome to do.

mcb66

Mar 17, 2009
I always make sure the pictures show the second hand movement. I once had a complaint about a watch not working. Upon questioning the buyer it was obvious that the buyer didn't know that it needed winding! I ended up refunding the purchase. I still don't think that they ever understood the function of a windup watch. Idiots are out there. Sometimes we find them.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been listing on Craigslist and you are right the scammers are everywhere. In the month of April I had 9 scammers try to buy my GTI detector with all the stuff going with it. Two sent me fake checks, I even gave them a chance to back out by telling them I wore a badge and don't try to scam me because I can spot the scam..several pushed it a long way before wising up but two went the distance.
They never asked about the machine, never tried to lower the price etc. They stole checks from an elderly couple, bunch of Mexicans out of Texas doing it.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I video everything I list on ebay or buy off ebay. I show the condition, function and any other pertinent information.
If it's a purchase I set up a camera and video as I open up the box and remove the item!
I was ripped off one time and then never again!

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Not wanting to sell my Fender Deluxe Reverb on eBay because of the listing fees and then the exhorbitant shipping fees,
I decided to try Craigslist for the first time.
I used a stock photo in the listing instead of all these "just right" pics of the amp
A very nice young man called and purchased it with cash! First call sold!
I was able to pocket hundreds of dollars more by not going with an eBay listing and saving myself a bunch of stress by not worrying about FB and shipping!
I realize CL can be sketchy but be safe by having someone else there with you when selling an item but if all goes smooth, you'll be richer by using CL!

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sold a pair of Waterford glasses a few weeks ago. As soon as the buyer received them they post a picture saying one has a big scratch. It sure had a scratch on the one in the picture. I suspect they had one of theirs with a scratch and we agreed on a 30% credit. They had me on that one, because they would have just returned the scratch glass had I said they could return it for credit. Not much you can do about these disatisfied buyers on eBay, but meet their demands on condition issues.
Hey Tam, what are you doing over here ? :)

I sell an average of 25 to 30 K per month on eBay. eBay has become very problematic for sellers these days and is getting worse than Amazon. In short, the buyer always wins and we cannot leave negative feedback for buyers. Really stupid.
I sell mostly computer based electronics e.g. Laptops servers switching etc…

I get buyers that buy my products and remove the parts they need to fix items and then return it to me as broken they remove my tamper proof seals and then say they were never there, they buy an exact item of theirs to replace their broken or "scratched item swap it and return it. I have been around the endless eBay no help customer service and anytime I try to battle a customer it bites me in the Butt. I take the hit and block the buyer so he can't do it to me again and wait for the next a$$wad to rinse and repeat.
All in all its a small percentage and I write it off as a cost of doing business. and as far as risk goes, I prefere the arms length of the mail vs. people coming to my shop from a craigslist ad and seeing everything I have.

Cheers guys!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread