diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was looking at my seller dashboard and noticed that only 93.22% of my transactions had tracking information uploaded, 55 out of 59 transactions. I print all labels on ebay, therefore all my tracking numbers are automatically uploaded as soon as I print the label via eBay.

So my question would be why do I not have a 100% "tracking loaded" percentage as I always have had for years on end?

Another interesting note if that finally after about 9 months of not being a top rated seller, I am projected to get that status back on the next review. Is this their way of trying to keep me from getting it? Below 90% does not qualify.

There should only be one transaction that was not uploaded within the stated handling time. Look-

91.53%of your transactions had tracking uploaded within handling time and validated by carrier
4q0gyzw41i3z3c52oxuzh3mh4ed.png

Tracking uploaded within handling time and validated by carrier
frr410np4izh1aitp2zf111hue4.png

91.53%
(54 out of 59 transactions)
(Top Rated Sellers must have at least 90.00%)

Tracking uploaded
93.22%
(55 out of 59 transactions)
Tracking uploaded within handling time
91.53%
(54 out of 59 transactions)
Tracking uploaded and validated by carrier
93.22%
(55 out of 59 transactions)

Create a report to see which of your transactions did not meet the tracking upload requirement
3 months:Mar 01, 2015 - May 31, 2015
Transactions:59

I'm hoping to have the detailed information by tomorrow after a report is created.

Last edited:

Koffee

Dec 9, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Goldbug2 x2 , Garrett 250, GTX 3030, CZ20, Excal, Minelab 2200, ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depending on your volume that could be just a few to a handful of missed scans. I have this happen quite often as a package will miss its first scan and even its second scan along the packages travel route. This reflects directly on your upcoming status report. However it usually or I should say all of my discrepancies have been caught up and fixed before final rating.

I find I have missed scans on a regular basis on small 4 x 4 boxes, for some reason these cause some problem that I am not aware of and a few times they do not show up on scan until delivery. I always pm the buyer the day the item is mailed so they know there package is on the way.

Cheers - Koffee

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, I'm referring to the initial upload of the tracking number to eBay. The label doesn't have to be scanned to have the tracking information uploaded to eBay. That is done automatically at the same time I print my labels off of eBay. It also automatically sends the tracking information to the customer letting them know that the package is on the way. It only has to be physically scanned when it gets validated by the carrier at the post office (or a scheduled at home pick up). It has been this way for years. My "tracking uploaded" has been 100% for years, ever since I started printing labels via eBay.

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Digg, you think that they are screwing up? Mine is back to 100% for the first two. The two packages I printed last night and dropped off (in the box) at 8am this morning have still not been scanned.

The woman last night was saying something about that Tuesday was invoice and that by Thursday it should be right. So mine is now basically right. Go back and check now to see if yours is OK.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
Tracking is uploaded immediately but until the item is actually scanned you don't get "credit" for meeting your shipping time. I've never missed shipping within the time stated in my listings & my number changes frequently. It's a non-issue. Your status report is generated on the 20th & only counts items sold the previous month. Even items you shipped on the last day of the month should have been scanned long before the 20th of the next month.

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Digg, you think that they are screwing up? Mine is back to 100% for the first two. The two packages I printed last night and dropped off (in the box) at 8am this morning have still not been scanned.

The woman last night was saying something about that Tuesday was invoice and that by Thursday it should be right. So mine is now basically right. Go back and check now to see if yours is OK.
It has changed since this morning. I mailed off two packages today so now it says:

Tracking uploaded 96.72% (59 out of 61 transactions) This should be 100% as it has been for many years. There is no reason for it not to be. This is what I've been talking about. Every item I sell gets a shipping label printed via eBay. As soon as that label is printed the tracking number is immediately and automatically uploaded and the shipping information is sent to the customer.

Tracking uploaded within handling time
95.08%
(58 out of 61 transactions)

Tracking uploaded and validated by carrier
96.72%
(59 out of 61 transactions)

Tracking is uploaded immediately but until the item is actually scanned you don't get "credit" for meeting your shipping time.
Correct, you don't get credit until it gets scanned by USPS . But that has no bearing on the above red highlighted statements. It's no big deal now that I'm not in danger of falling below 90% but it still is not correct.

NJcigarman

May 25, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,Whites Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Dig trdhrdr007 is right. I print the labels but it has to be scanned at the PO too. I use to get my packages scanned at the PO when I dropped them off. With the expansion of my business I couldn't wait and ask them to scan 40 packages. So the problem I had is the 1 business day gives you until 11:59 PM to show a scan from the PO. However the scan wouldn't show up until early the next day. Even though I did what I was suppose too, at one time I had like 30 packages that were off. I called eBay and explained I was at mercy of the PO. There are many times I don't get a scan in Philadelphia period. First scan is when it shows up in the buyers location. I think eBay took a look and saw the pattern of when the scans were being done. They reversed mine and I have not had any more issues even with the scans still being after 11:59. It might be worth a call.

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I also think Ebay doesn't update their shipping information that often. The packages I dropped in the box this morning (and yesterday) are supposed to be picked up at 1 and 5. Both days they did not get picked up until 5. They didn't get scanned until after 6. I just checked again. My first two lines ARE 100%. Waiting for Ebay to update the scans, and then it will read 100%. (I'm at 93 out of 95, so it is the two I dropped off this morning.)
I have Ebay have no information, and USPS has loads of information. They don't always stay as current as I wish they would.

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand everything you are telling me in regards to the label being scanned by the carrier or somewhere along the route, that is not the point. This has nothing to do with anything being scanned. I am talking only and specifically about "tracking number uploaded" not "Tracking uploaded within handling time" or "Tracking uploaded and validated by carrier".
Again... When a label is printed on ebay, that tracking number is then automatically (and without delay) uploaded on to the site. The only reason it wouldn't be is when you do not print a label off of ebay and you do it manually.

NJCigarman- I understand that when scanned by a carrier or along the route somewhere, there is a delay of up to 24 hours (or more usually) before it reflects on eBay. That falls under the category of
"Tracking uploaded and validated by carrier". Different matter altogether.

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
The woman I spoke to (and could barely understand) said something about Tuesdays and Thursday. The program updates maybe on those days? Mine is fixed. Although, interestingly enough, it doesn't show the sales I made yesterday. I had 4 of them. Maybe that is what she meant, that every Tuesday and Thursday it resets the numbers. If yours is not reading correctly, you should probably call them.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I'll try one more time & then you are on your own. The metric that counts is the final one, which is tracking uploaded & verified. That is the number that counts towards obtaining or keeping TRS. Truth is "tracking uploaded within handling time could be 100%" & you still won't get TRS unless the shipping company scans 90% of those numbers before delivery. If you want to worry about something worry about the shipping company not scanning your packages.

Ebay's software is definitely screwed up. I've heard many different explanations why there is a discrepancy but the most common & logical is that people were manually adding bogus tracking numbers. A reasonable person would expect eBay to have software that could distinguish between someone that buys tracking through the eBay system & those that manually upload. A reasonable person would also expect tracking uploaded within handling time to be accurate & up to date if the ebay system is used to purchase postage. Unfortunately the ebay system doesn't work that way. Looking at any number besides the "uploaded & verified" one is pointless.....& even looking at that one shouldn't be done until you know all your packages have been scanned. IMO if you are looking at other numbers and/or calling ebay about this you are wasting your time & adding unnecessary stress to your life.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I know what you mean dig!
That is why I only purchase shipping at the post office, not through ebay! The small savings you get by purchasing thru ebay isn't worth the stress of a non scanned package. USPS won't scan your package without an extra charge!
Then when I get home I type in the tracking number from my USPS receipt so I'm sure a tracking number gets loaded up on the listing and I'm not in trouble.
Usually I only sell one item at a time so it may not be practicle for multiple shipments.
Best of luck!

Paleo_joe

Mar 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always attributed that discrepancy to using media mail, which doesn't have tracking, so even if you print the label on ebay it doesn't count as tracking uploaded.

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know what you mean dig!
That is why I only purchase shipping at the post office, not through ebay! The small savings you get by purchasing thru ebay isn't worth the stress of a non scanned package. USPS won't scan your package without an extra charge!
Then when I get home I type in the tracking number from my USPS receipt so I'm sure a tracking number gets loaded up on the listing and I'm not in trouble.
Usually I only sell one item at a time so it may not be practicle for multiple shipments.
Best of luck!
Actually, I save a few hundred dollars a year by printing my labels off of ebay. The USPS does not charge extra to scan packages. They charge extra for a tracking number (delivery confirmation). That is free when you print your labels off of eBay. You just have to make sure it gets scanned at the post office if your worried about that it won't for some reason. I do that sometimes, most of the time I just drop them off.
I'll try one more time & then you are on your own. The metric that counts is the final one, which is tracking uploaded & verified. That is the number that counts towards obtaining or keeping TRS. Truth is "tracking uploaded within handling time could be 100%" & you still won't get TRS unless the shipping company scans 90% of those numbers before delivery. If you want to worry about something worry about the shipping company not scanning your packages.

Ebay's software is definitely screwed up. I've heard many different explanations why there is a discrepancy but the most common & logical is that people were manually adding bogus tracking numbers. A reasonable person would expect eBay to have software that could distinguish between someone that buys tracking through the eBay system & those that manually upload. A reasonable person would also expect tracking uploaded within handling time to be accurate & up to date if the ebay system is used to purchase postage. Unfortunately the ebay system doesn't work that way. Looking at any number besides the "uploaded & verified" one is pointless.....& even looking at that one shouldn't be done until you know all your packages have been scanned. IMO if you are looking at other numbers and/or calling ebay about this you are wasting your time & adding unnecessary stress to your life.
LOL, You certainly lived up to your username here. Sorry for sounding a little thick headed on here. I know the bottom line only matters with "Tracking uploaded and validated by carrier". I'm not sweating it, I was just just worried that some eBay glitch was going to stop me from getting my TRS status back after 9 months without it. Joe figured out the true reason below.

I always attributed that discrepancy to using media mail, which doesn't have tracking, so even if you print the label on ebay it doesn't count as tracking uploaded.
:lightbulb::lightbulb: Thanks Joe, this explains the whole thing. I did in fact mail a couple of books using media mail and your right, it doesn't include a tracking number. I remember that now that you've mentioned it. So that would explain the discrepancy. :thumbsup:

With that, this thread is done. Peace!

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
Didn't mean to sound like a trd. That's one of those habits I'm not having much luck breaking....

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I'm an ex-plumber....so it's turd herder of the super secret variety.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread