EBay buys not going so well..

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here have been my last five purchases on eBay. I don't understand what's going on lately maybe just lazy people ,who knows I don't understand it.

Scrap Gold lot – never shipped no response from seller.

Silver Eagle Lot if 4 – never shipped no response from seller

1/10 gold American Eagle no problems

Scrap gold lot 14 K – half of it ended up being 10k had to get money back for difference

1/10 gold Philharmonic- so far has not been shipped and no response from seller.

Crazy, I don't get it. I've never had problems like this. when I ordered a pair shoes and the seller sent them in two days!

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear you Beachkid, the wackos seem to come an go in bunches, lol. Here's a good one for you - I listed a nice Tommy Hilfiger bucket hat as a BIN, and it sells right away to a zero feedback bidder. I send her an invoice, then two reminders over the next 5 days, but no response. I open a case, several days go by, still no response. I close the case and relist the hat, this time as an auction. She then sends me an email that says "I no longer want this hat". Yeah, no kidding! Then I get a bid on the hat, and guess what?? Yup, it's her again!! I canceled her bid and quickly blocked her on my blocked bidders list. What a wacko!

Keep your chin up, it'll get better! :)

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
If I had to guess you won those lots at less than fair market value & the sellers decided they didn't want to lose money. IMO they should follow through & sell irregardless. Unfortunately there are a lot of people that don't think the same way.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I had to guess you won those lots at less than fair market value & the sellers decided they didn't want to lose money. IMO they should follow through & sell irregardless. Unfortunately there are a lot of people that don't think the same way.

Nope. They were all buy it now w/ free shipping. Well except for the first lot of gold 14k that was an auction. I have a bad habit when I sell something that I paid very little for and sell it for a ridiculous price I usually use part of that money to buy some bullion once or twice a month.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
Nope. They were all buy it now w/ free shipping. Well except for the first lot of gold 14k that was an auction. I have a bad habit when I sell something that I paid very little for and sell it for a ridiculous price I usually use part of that money to buy some bullion once or twice a month.

Well that's even more ridiculous. Seems like there are a lot more idiots on ebay now.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is even a tracking number for the one item. But when I check with the Postal Service it does not even exist. He must have grabbed a sticker and uploaded the information to the item sold item Marked too that shipped but never actually sent anything out. There are actually a couple feedbacks recently all saying items were shipped no response. But then a couple throughout the whole last 12 months. But then like 300 positives. I will open the case today.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just checked his feedback. 13 negatives this month. And only one before that actually. So he must've gotten sick or hurt or died or jail one of the four. I don't think somebody would intentionally trash there accounts for $23 coins with feedback of $500

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
13 negatives in one month, and Ebay didn't shut him down??? good grief!

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I "bought" two White's Spectra V3s that never shipped. The seller had 750 feedback and 100%. Damn shame, thought I was going to make a bundle off those :)

Paleo_joe

Mar 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the good old days, a seller could start an auction low and have a good chance of ending up with some semblance of market value. Not any more. Ebay's algorithm for deciding what items a buyer sees controls everything. I am not sure where it will end, but sellers won't perpetually sell things at a loss.

At least with a REAL auction, when the hammer drops the item is sold and there are no returns or other buyer issues, period. Ebay is the worst of both worlds -- not only do items sell for less than market value due to the 'auctioneer', but the auctioneer also grants the buyer rights that the seller does not have.

SvenS

Oct 13, 2008
Ontario
Detector(s) used
Nokta/Makro products, as well as others. Self built Mirage PI's. The Mirage is excellent in trashy sites, unlike many PI's.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup ebay these days suck. Ebay decides who sees your listing depending upon demographics and if you paid to join power sellers etc to have your listing appear to everyone.
I have noticed that in the past, for weeks my items would only sell in one part of the US, then several weeks later in some other part of the US. Seemed kind of fishy to me.
I will do searches for a particular items or items and swear I saw them all, only to find out after doings a sold search, I missed out on some real bargains that never appeared to me.
Ebay won't ban a seller with negs for a long time, as long as they get their commission from a high quantity seller and make money off him on sold items, they will keep him on.

The buyers get screwed too..............some folks purposely sell a lot of items to amass positive feedback. Then the ball drops, list a whole bunch of high ticket items over a month or two,
fail to deliver, fake tracking numbers, collect tons of cash with paypal payments. Withdraw it all, change close bank accounts associated with their Paypal account, skip town...............

It's not the place it was back before 2005..............the only good thing is that they have a world market where you still have the means to sell something fast when you need some cash.
And its still a good place to buy things that are surplus and or inexpensive.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, that is why I am always pushing my opinion that "bad" ebay sellers can be just as bad, if not worse, than "bad" buyers.

I have constant problems buying stuff.

Sorry to see you are having issues but I am glad its not just me...

kali_is_my_copilot

Feb 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess now I don't feel quite as bad about the fact that 3 of my last 7 buys were basically "no call no shows"? They were all auctions from new-ish sellers and obviously they didn't realize the final price that they were hoping for and decided not to honor the sale but I find that incredibly irritating. When you write a terrible listing with garbage photos and start that hot mess at ninety-nine cents you shouldn't be surprised when almost nobody bids on it. I've never taken a huge loss on an auction ending much lower than anticipated because I go out of my way to avoid that, but I've always shipped what's sold even if I wish I'd gotten more for it.

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I messed up once. Someone countered my offer for less than spot. I ignored it. I got a message from Ebay saying the offer expired. I got mixed up, and thought it was one I sent. So I wrote to the lady and said I would sell it for the offer. I nearly choked when I realized what I did. Oh well. I did send it off, and got great feedback. Duh.
I choked this week when I sold a lot of silver earrings for $2 a piece. :-( But that is the game. Sometimes you win, and sometimes you don't. You still have to honor the sale.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread