What thermal printer is a good buy?

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm tired of running out of ink and having to drive too far to buy some overpriced ink. Can please explain to me the best deal on a thermal printer or what to look for in a thermal printer. I read about them until I got confused. I print about 20 labels a week. I print my labels from eBay. I want to spend as little as possible for a reliable printer.

If you can explain it like you are teaching a cellphone seminar at a senior center I would appreciate it.

OP
OP
D

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks a lot! That made the decision much faster and easier. That is cool how fast it prints.

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Do they print on labels? I use a laser printer that takes 8 1/2"x 11" paper. Since I use it for all my printing, I keep regular paper in the drawer an feed it letter-size label paper (two labels per sheet). If I need to cover up an existing label I can print on one label and leave the other blank to stick over the old label. If I'm printing two lables, I print one, turn it around and feed it the other way for the 2nd label. But frequently I only need one so I waste one label - It's not a good idea to send a piece of wax backing paper through a laser. Toner is cheap, I bought a big box of labels off eBay in 2011 (forgot how many) and still have over 1/2 a box left. And if push comes to shove I can print on plain paper and tape the label to the box.

If I was printing 20 labels a week I'd still like the convenience of self-stick, even more so, but I would be more concerned about waste.

mjlalt

Jul 18, 2012
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes they use labels. It uses a large roll of labels I think it has 320 labels per roll

Pros:
No ink or toner cost
Labels are free from UPS
Fast Printing
No manual loading of labels

Cons:
Initial Cost of Thermal Printer

It's a good investment if you do a large amount of shipping

NJcigarman

May 25, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,Whites Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
How do you get free labels from UPS? Yes I have an account with them.

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
I don't do the shipping volume to justify purchasing new but I'll definitely be on the lookout for one when I'm out picking. I have a feeling I already passed one by.

OP
OP
D

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't do the shipping volume to justify purchasing new but I'll definitely be on the lookout for one when I'm out picking. I have a feeling I already passed one by.

I've been looking at used ones on eBay off and on since I started this thread. Most of the used ones on eBay have a weird catch like no cords, look like they were dragged behind a truck, say tested works fine no returns, not tested, parts only etc. I haven't been incredibly devoted in my search but it doesn't seem like people part with good used ones that often.

mjlalt

Jul 18, 2012
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I paid 80 for mine. It had a chip in the plastic but was purely cosmetic. People seam to nab them up very quickly when they are under 100.

OP
OP
D

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I paid 80 for mine. It had a chip in the plastic but was purely cosmetic. People seam to nab them up very quickly when they are under 100.

Thanks, I can see I missed a couple of good opportunities. I guess I will have to be a little more diligent in my quest. I would say you found a pretty good deal.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a dymo 330 turbo, works well. I have had it for 8 years now and still running strong!

OP
OP
D

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a dymo 330 turbo, works well. I have had it for 8 years now and still running strong!

That one is a better value used but I had already made up my mind.

I got a Zebra zp 450 shipped for $93. Then of course nothing sold so I haven't tested it through eBay. I did have to download a driver. I found a way in Word to print a label just to test it out. Seems like it works great. I guess since it works in Word then I could use it for almost anything I needed to stick a label on. Mine came with a power cord but no usb cord. Now I just need something to sell.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread