Post Your Crazy, Insane and Problem eBay Customers Here... Sellers Too!

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah. If you OBO, you can't have instant payment. I set a lot of OBOs to automatically accept a certain price, which saves me some time.

This lady wrote to me tonight:

And another buyer blocked. I just got an offer on a newly listed necklace. 8.32 grams of gold ... they offered me a whooping $140. Yeah, right.

I don't think in 15 years of being on ebay I have ever had an "or best offer" automatically accepted. I'm not sure I would even realize I had purchased the item nevermind someone who was brand new to eBay.

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't think in 15 years of being on ebay I have ever had an "or best offer" automatically accepted. I'm not sure I would even realize I had purchased the item nevermind someone who was brand new to eBay.

I have. I've also had a OBO fail. You get a pop up that says, Sorry, the offer is denied, try again with a higher amount. I don't remember the winning one. BUT, here's the thing ... Ebay sends you an email congratulating you on winning. You have to manually turn it off. You think a newbie signed up, turned off notifications, and then bought my item? It doesn't matter. The case is already closed. The bracelet is relisted. I sold my necklace today for what I wanted, so all's good.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have. I've also had a OBO fail. You get a pop up that says, Sorry, the offer is denied, try again with a higher amount. I don't remember the winning one. BUT, here's the thing ... Ebay sends you an email congratulating you on winning. You have to manually turn it off. You think a newbie signed up, turned off notifications, and then bought my item? It doesn't matter. The case is already closed. The bracelet is relisted. I sold my necklace today for what I wanted, so all's good.

I have no idea. Do you think there might be a chance that the newbie didnt have a chance to read the email instantly? They contacted you in less than a day. You were ready to open a case on them after 10 hours of non payment....every once in awhile you have to give people benefit of the doubt and a bit of slack. Ive had to cancel an order before due to my own mistake!

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
No, they told me they had no intention of paying. It was a gut instinct, and I'm usually pretty spot on about those.

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guy wins a ring on auction on October 14. Does not pay for it until October 19 which I mail it out on October 20. Sense mean email today wanting to know why the eBay estimate delivery time since the 25th which was yesterday.

Had to explain to him that those dates are generated by eBay on today the item ended on the listing. Since the item was not paid for until four days later there is going to be a delay in shipping. But he wants to know why it says the 25th and it's not there yet. Because you turd, you did not pay for it for five days until after do you won it!

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Because you turd, you did not pay for it for five days until after do you won it!

BWAHAHAHA! :BangHead: Sorry, but that's hilarious! Why didn't he wait until the 25th to pay and then wonder why it didn't instantly appear?

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
3 emails in a row saying their item did not arrive. They all want their $$$ back. All show as delivered... None of them getting refunds. One lady did find hers...

kali_is_my_copilot

Feb 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beachkid, how do you protect the transaction in that situation? I sold a bracelet early this year that showed as delivered, but the buyer claimed it wasn't delivered to her. I asked her (multiple times) to contact her local PO and try to resolve the issue on her end first, but she just kept demanding that I fix it, then opened a case & left me bad feedback saying that I refused to help her with the shipping issue. If I'm remembering correctly eBay/PayPal ended up refunding her, which left me out $20 and the bracelet.

Now I am dealing with a buyer whose package went out for delivery but was returned to her PO due to there being no safe place to leave it? She is confused because her building has a doorman who is supposed to receive packages so she doesn't know why that didn't happen. I verified her address and requested that she contact the PO to request re-delivery. What is the best course of action here? She at least seems cooperative unlike last time but I'd rather be done with that bracelet than get it back and be out $75, it was listed for weeks.

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beachkid, how do you protect the transaction in that situation? I sold a bracelet early this year that showed as delivered, but the buyer claimed it wasn't delivered to her. I asked her (multiple times) to contact her local PO and try to resolve the issue on her end first, but she just kept demanding that I fix it, then opened a case & left me bad feedback saying that I refused to help her with the shipping issue. If I'm remembering correctly eBay/PayPal ended up refunding her, which left me out $20 and the bracelet.

Now I am dealing with a buyer whose package went out for delivery but was returned to her PO due to there being no safe place to leave it? She is confused because her building has a doorman who is supposed to receive packages so she doesn't know why that didn't happen. I verified her address and requested that she contact the PO to request re-delivery. What is the best course of action here? She at least seems cooperative unlike last time but I'd rather be done with that bracelet than get it back and be out $75, it was listed for weeks.
If a buyer says they didn't receive an item, but it shows it was delivered, first you are covered as a seller, second there's only 4 possible scenarios as to why they would claim this:

1) The buyer is simply lying and they really do have the item.

2) Somebody stole the package from the mailbox or doorstep.

3) The item was delivered elsewhere by mistake, like a neighbor for example.

4) The carrier scanned the package as delivered (either before leaving on his route or at the recipient's doorstep), then, for any number of reasons, failed to actually deliver it. This last scenario isn't supposed to happen technically, because it doesn't follow USPS procedures, but you have to remember not everyone is competent.

Never automatically assume the buyer is lying. This same situation has happened with things I've sold a couple of times and it turns out the package was delivered at the neighbor's house by mistake and it takes another 2 or 3 days for it to be returned to the PO and then delivered to the correct address.... or the neighbor eventually takes it to the correct address themselves.

A couple of things to keep in mind:

Calling the buyer's local post office is a good idea, but tell the buyer you're doing it first before you actually do. Sometimes packages mysteriously "appear" when the buyer realizes that an investigation is going to be started to determine the whereabouts of the "missing" package.

If the buyer opens a claim for INR (item not received) and the delivery confirmation shows it was delivered, the buyer will lose the claim, BUT nothing prevents the buyer from leaving bad feedback at any time during or after the transaction. So, don't get too emotional in your correspondence with the buyer. Keep it professional, take your time, and make no assumptions or accusations.

kali_is_my_copilot

Feb 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you so much for laying it out like that, it actually makes me feel a lot better about the situation. In this case I can look at the tracking page and see that it went out, came back & is being held, and the buyer seems intent on resolving the issue from her end if possible. Thanks also for the keeping a cool head advice. Not that I'm ever anything less than professional with anyone I deal with on eBay but I was unfairly comparing this poor woman to an incompentent nincompoop I encountered under similar circumstances & assuming the worst.

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buyers and sellers. If I buy an item and never receive it, and get excuses why not....you are on the list!
If a seller is in a country I don't ship to....but they keep asking me to....you are on the list!
Buyers want a BIN but it's an auction....you are on the list!
Buyer does not pay.....see the pattern?:laughing7:

2118doctor, 988354069@deleted, alexbiffert20, andrew_ang_c_p, ashleylaza1987, atlbraves48, bassaxeworks, cajsol1963, calvello, caniwin-12, casbahnumismatique, ckwmoonstar, conon51, coreysyammyhammered, daiwafan25, dodgerblue76123, driv3rblazr, el_estillao, greybeard8473, horuts07mihail, image, isranumis.ltd, jaco59jaco, jbea8430, jorgeluis55, kathy06883, laochen1996, metroangel, mirandaof79, mondeleazul, moomoo025, ori_zil, pidelo02, pkal56, qianjinongoing2010, rexx33, sdennis*2010, theart79, tongsign, toniox2000, wondercat0, zackarynathan, 1286549654@deleted, 34972864@deleted, 780212@deleted, joefernandes@cogecoDefaultzakiah2010ashleylaza1987

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Buyers and sellers. If I buy an item and never receive it, and get excuses why not....you are on the list!
If a seller is in a country I don't ship to....but they keep asking me to....you are on the list!
Buyers want a BIN but it's an auction....you are on the list!
Buyer does not pay.....see the pattern?:laughing7:

2118doctor, 988354069@deleted, alexbiffert20, andrew_ang_c_p, ashleylaza1987, atlbraves48, bassaxeworks, cajsol1963, calvello, caniwin-12, casbahnumismatique, ckwmoonstar, conon51, coreysyammyhammered, daiwafan25, dodgerblue76123, driv3rblazr, el_estillao, greybeard8473, horuts07mihail, image, isranumis.ltd, jaco59jaco, jbea8430, jorgeluis55, kathy06883, laochen1996, metroangel, mirandaof79, mondeleazul, moomoo025, ori_zil, pidelo02, pkal56, qianjinongoing2010, rexx33, sdennis*2010, theart79, tongsign, toniox2000, wondercat0, zackarynathan, 1286549654@deleted, 34972864@deleted, 780212@deleted, joefernandes@cogecoDefaultzakiah2010ashleylaza1987

Hey, I ask sellers all the time to add a bin to their auctions. I have scored doing this! I see your reasoning but you could be missing out on some good buyers who just want to buy your item quickly.

Sent from a spun out toilet paper tube (one ply)!

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, I ask sellers all the time to add a bin to their auctions. I have scored doing this! I see your reasoning but you could be missing out on some good buyers who just want to buy your item quickly.

Well yes I get that. I should have said a really low BIN, or in the middle of an auction that has bids.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Well yes I get that. I should have said a really low BIN, or in the middle of an auction that has bids.

I agree, this makes complete sense.

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
USPS Customer Service Live Person Live Customer Service Person

Call that number. You will eventually speak with a live human. They will open a case. They will call her PO and try to find out what happened. Doesn't always work so well. I have had several items not scanned as delivered. when I tried to follow through to see if it was, I called this number. One time, they actually called ME to ask if the package was delivered!!! Bwahaha. Real competent people sometimes.

good luck!

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
USPS Customer Service Live Person Live Customer Service Person

Call that number. You will eventually speak with a live human. They will open a case. They will call her PO and try to find out what happened. Doesn't always work so well. I have had several items not scanned as delivered. when I tried to follow through to see if it was, I called this number. One time, they actually called ME to ask if the package was delivered!!! Bwahaha. Real competent people sometimes.

good luck!

Ah yes, the always present government incompetence...and now they control health care...

kali_is_my_copilot

Feb 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was re-delivered and she got it this morning, even took the time to send me a message saying as much, yay for me!

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
If you sell jewelry, add this name to your list: walwal.hh9wtxp
She bought a $211 necklace at OBO. I shipped it and got positive feedback. Today she filed a claim that she didn't authorize that transaction and they are taking $221 out of my account. She's blocked on my list.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
If you sell jewelry, add this name to your list: walwal.hh9wtxp
She bought a $211 necklace at OBO. I shipped it and got positive feedback. Today she filed a claim that she didn't authorize that transaction and they are taking $221 out of my account. She's blocked on my list.

Surely this would be covered by seller protection...

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah, it is. I had a negative balance. I was scared they pulled the money out of my bank account.
That told me they are not allowed to do that.
Today I had someone buy a pair of shoes. Immediately tell me to send to a different address. Yeah, like after this morning? Then they cancelled their order. Another newbie

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions