My only complaint about EBay is shipping delays!

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
I have been (mostly) buying on EBay since 1999 and have gradually moved over to Amazon for one main reason - shipping times. I must admit - EBay is getting better (buy stuff on EBay I can't find on Amazon now). I can't tell you how many times I have paid for for USPS Priority Mail just to find out the seller ONLY ships once a week! So why was Priority Mail the only shipping option? Anyway, a few times it was listed but most of the time I wouldn't find out until sending a message about a possible lost shipment (since a week passed and didn't receive the item). I normally get "this isn't my life", etc. So, I started buying on Amazon. The few times I sold something - I went out of my way to get the paid item in the mail the very same day or the next day. It was a pain - but I felt I owed it to the buyer. Unfortunately, many EBay sellers will run the item to the post office a few days after receiving payment. Anyway - this is just my opinion and we all know what that is worth! :)

toolmanbutch

Aug 23, 2015
Upstate NY and Floridas East Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Bounty Hunter
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I buy and sell on eBay many items. I continually list around 100 items a week. I guarantee to ship in one day of the sale, maybe ask the seller if he can do this and it's very possible to get your item sooner. Many sellers want good ratings and shipping is one way to get a good rating. Most all shipping done by USPS is 3 to 5 days to anywhere in the 48.
Just my 2 Cents
Butch

OP
OP
vpnavy

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
I wish all EBay sellers were like you. I have purchased over 900+ items over the years (I collect stuff you simply can't find - EBay has been priceless from that standpoint) - and at least 20% of the sellers I have dealt with took more then a week to get to the post office. The problem is by the time you realize it has been long enough to get the item it is to late (and very irritating). On a few occasions I have sent a message to the seller and greeted with no reply or sorry for the delay. Those that delayed shipment - I simply never left any feedback. Back in the day - if you left feedback to reflect the delayed shipment - you would get zinged in return. I have noticed that they changed that by having a separate rating for shipments - but the train has passed for me (and EBay) - and will just order stuff I can't find elsewhere.

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
metal_detector.gif
I have been (mostly) buying on EBay since 1999 and have gradually moved over to Amazon for one main reason - shipping times. I must admit - EBay is getting better (buy stuff on EBay I can't find on Amazon now). I can't tell you how many times I have paid for for USPS Priority Mail just to find out the seller ONLY ships once a week! So why was Priority Mail the only shipping option? Anyway, a few times it was listed but most of the time I wouldn't find out until sending a message about a possible lost shipment (since a week passed and didn't receive the item). I normally get "this isn't my life", etc. So, I started buying on Amazon. The few times I sold something - I went out of my way to get the paid item in the mail the very same day or the next day. It was a pain - but I felt I owed it to the buyer. Unfortunately, many EBay sellers will run the item to the post office a few days after receiving payment. Anyway - this is just my opinion and we all know what that is worth! :)

Well there are a few reasons this happens and it all depends on the items. For instance, the reason priority is the only option many times is that anything over 13oz has to go priority via usps so there are not cheaper options. Also, depending on the item, some people don't like it sitting in hot warehouses over the weekend so they might only ship Mon-Tues or something like that - this would go for any temperature sensitive items like cosmetics, soaps, etc. Buying via amazon prime is great but you are paying more for that shipping cost because amazon takes and arm and a leg from the sellers whereas ebay/paypal take much less. When you buy from ebay you are buying from a person. When you buy via amazon prime you are buying from amazon who has that item in a warehouse ready for shipment because the seller has already shipped it to amazon's warehouse.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
I buy and sell on eBay. I always ship same day or next. The only items I haven't received quickly are the ones I purchased from China.

Sent from a spun out toilet paper tube (one ply)!

toolmanbutch

Aug 23, 2015
Upstate NY and Floridas East Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Bounty Hunter
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear ya. Bad service will kill any business. One of my eBay name are
Member id
carbide-endmills-and-other-items-from-a-to-z

OP
OP
vpnavy

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
... Buying via amazon prime is great but you are paying more for that shipping cost because amazon takes and arm and a leg from the sellers whereas ebay/paypal take much less...
metal_detector.gif
I hear ya. Fortunately, I would rather pay the extra fee (yes, I belong to Amazon Prime now) for quick shipment. Yes, those items on Prime cost more - for me it is worth it. If I am in no rush - I will get prices via "non-prime" vendors. Unfortunately, I always seem to be in a rush and want my stuff yesterday! :)

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
metal_detector.gif
I hear ya. Fortunately, I would rather pay the extra fee (yes, I belong to Amazon Prime now) for quick shipment. Yes, those items on Prime cost more - for me it is worth it. If I am in no rush - I will get prices via "non-prime" vendors. Unfortunately, I always seem to be in a rush and want my stuff yesterday! :)

I usually do the same. It just depends. I have been using prime for years and really like it. I trust it a lot more than ebay because I am dealing with amazon not a random seller. I do always check the companies websites first though and try to go that route if I can.

OP
OP
vpnavy

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...I trust it a lot more than ebay because I am dealing with amazon not a random seller...
metal_detector.gif
I have purchased a bunch of stuff via Amazon and only had to return two items. The neat thing was I always heard back from Amazon within a few hours of registering my concern - no questions asked - my credit card immediately credited! One time I was told to just keep the item and the other time got a shipping label.

OP
OP
vpnavy

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
angry_greg_head_explode_big.gif
Well - the daughter wanted these dishes (XMas) and all the stores were out of them (discontinued). So, I found 4 on EBay! They were way overpriced - but, the daughter wanted them - so, I figured - what the heck. Here is the history...

1. BUY IT NOW - Nov 24, 2016 , 10:03AM (via PayPal).
2. SHIPPING: $15.95 Expedited Shipping
3. SELLER:
99.4% Positive feedback (Livermore, California)
4. DELIVERY: Estimated within 2-5 business days.
5. Didn't hear anything - just figured it was all in the works.
6. Sent seller a e-mail November 29th asking why I hadn't received a tracking number, etc.
7. Got a reply November 30th - "Yes I will email you in a few moments . Im so sorry"
8. Tracking shows it didn't get to the post office until December 1st at 6:45PM
9. Tracking shows it is at my post office December 3rd at 12:05 PM
10. Delivery set for tomorrow.

THIS IS WHY I NO LONGER BUY ANYTHING FROM EBAY!

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
ell - the daughter wanted these dishes (XMas) and all the stores were out of them (discontinued). So, I found 4 on EBay! They were way overpriced - but, the daughter wanted them - so, I figured - what the heck. Here is the history...

1. BUY IT NOW - Nov 24, 2016 , 10:03AM (via PayPal).
2. SHIPPING: $15.95 Expedited Shipping
3. SELLER:
99.4% Positive feedback (Livermore, California)
6. Sent seller a e-mail November 29th asking why I hadn't received a tracking number, etc.
7. Got a reply November 30th - "Yes I will email you in a few moments . Im so sorry"
9. Tracking shows it is at my post office December 3rd at 12:05 PM
10. Delivery set for tomorrow.

THIS IS WHY I NO LONGER BUY ANYTHING FROM EBAY!

So its about 1 week late. I would not say that is all that big of a deal.

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would think that falls under the seller's estimated "handling time". I usually have mine set to 1-2 days when I sell. Unless I am wrong about what "handling time" means.

OP
OP
vpnavy

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So its about 1 week late. I would not say that is all that big of a deal.
I would think that falls under the seller's estimated "handling time". I usually have mine set to 1-2 days when I sell. Unless I am wrong about what "handling time" means.
metal_detector.gif
OK - I give up - I love Ebay again.:laughing7:

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
OK - I give up - I love Ebay again.:laughing7:

Don't get me wrong... I have had a lot of bad online buying experiences too. I am just saying that 1 week later than reasonably expected for delivery is really not that big of a deal.

Also, keep in mind that ebay itself has done nothing wrong here. Individual sellers on ebay are the ones who cause these kinds of problems.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

that is 7 business days. a couple past her stated time.
when I do ebay auctions I tell the software I will get it out my door is 3-4 work days, then the software calculates travel time. maybe she tells it out in one day. (I usually take 1 maybe 2 days. and I don't count weekends)

this is a seller problem, not ebay's.
she needs to tell her auction program more days.

OP
OP
vpnavy

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...I am just saying that 1 week later than reasonably expected for delivery is really not that big of a deal...
..that is 7 business days. a couple past her stated time...
metal_detector.gif
I hear ya all and realize that some sellers simply can't get to the post office in a timely fashion. That is why I only use EBay now for items I simply can't find on other sites. I just hate paying for Priority Mail just to have a seller (for whatever reason) only hit the post office once a week. Enough said - long live EBay.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buy from TOP RATED SELLERS. When you buy from a "top rated seller", it has to be shipped within 1 business day or they will soon lose their rating. Other than that you can always ask the seller via ebay messaging when the item will be mailed "if" you purchase it. As mentioned you are dealing with individuals for the most part on eBay.

Also, if you are not satisfied with a sellers "shipping time" be sure to reflect that in your feedback as well as the 5 star rating system they use for "detailed seller ratings", it can also be utilized when leaving feedback. This may help the next potential customer also when they read the comments. As an ebay buyer (and seller) I try to use every option available to me on the site before purchasing an item, if I am worried or concerned about anything.

Of course none of this matters if the seller never even ships the item. This happened to me twice in as many weeks. One is a newer seller with no hint of anything wrong. I believe the item sold for less than he thought it would so he decided not to ship. I asked for a tracking number and he said he would upload it when he got home later but he never did. I filed a case as soon as the expected delivery date had passed. Still waiting on a refund with that one. He will get a negative from me and he only has a fb score of 12, his problem not mine.

The other was for a fuel filter from a local seller. They sell items they don't have, lol. They refunded me before I opened a case against them but they shouldn't sell items they don't have. Feedback did mention selling items they didn't have in stock but I took a chance anyway. They got a neutral (vs. neg) feedback from me only because I was refunded as soon as I asked where my tracking number was the day after purchase.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
Buy from TOP RATED SELLERS. When you buy from a "top rated seller", it has to be shipped within 1 business day or they will soon lose their rating. Other than that you can always ask the seller via ebay messaging when the item will be mailed "if" you purchase it. As mentioned you are dealing with individuals for the most part on eBay.

Great post but let me clarify on the TRS (Top Rated Seller). It's true that sellers can lose their TRS status if they don't ship within their specified handling time but they can specify a handling time longer than 1 business day. However, fees are reduced by 1% of the total sale price IF they specify & ship within 1 business day.

The selling fee in most categories is 10%. If you have a store that is reduced to 9%, & if you are a TRS with 1 day handling it's reduced to 8%. I have the basic store that now costs $19.95/month. Counting the store costs my eBay fees have been averaging right around 8.2% of sales.

Pacific_Searcher

Sep 30, 2016
Hawaii
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Living in Hawaii unfortunately even with Prime Amazon shipping time frame is not good. seems they wait a while to try and bundle orders together. I choose ebay and order from top rated sellers if the price is the same. That being said I have always had good service from Amazon customer support if i ever had any product issues.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread