Victim of a Scam

Eer I Am

Tenderfoot
Feb 22, 2014
West Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all,

I was recently lured into a scam and long story short, I now have more money in eBay gift cards than I have in my bank account. Luckily I didn't lose my money to this scammer. Anyways, I am seeking some advice on how to recoup my money since I can not get my money back from the gift cards. I have thought about buying bullion on eBay but that seems like more of a risk and would take longer to get my investment back. I have also thought about buying boxes of coins but have been unable to find any on eBay so far. The bullion seems like a better idea so I would physically have my money back but I'm unsure on how long I would like to sit on that investment and really unsure what is happening in the gold market (I do not follow the gold markets at all)
Thank you all in advance for any help.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, Sorry to hear you got wrapped up in this position. I think I understand what your trying to do? Turn the Ebay cards back into cash? Hmmmm..I'm trying to think of ideas that might work....

The coins and bullion would work, but you would have to know that stuff pretty well. If that is your hobby then you might be able to catch some deals that come on cheap enough to flip and relist for more, thinking about the fees, any shipping,and time. If you don't know gold and how all that works, It might be risky. and you could possibly lose more of your money.

If I was in the same position I would stick to what I knew.

What are your interests? Is there a way to profit from buying something that you know about and reselling, taking fees and costs into consideration...

I have no idea what I would do! I'll have to think on that for a while to see if I could think of some suggestions! I usually get myself into these type of problems, thinking I'm going to make more!! :laughing7:

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

Eer I Am

Tenderfoot
Feb 22, 2014
West Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I enjoy CRH from time to time. With the amount that I have in these gift cards, it would only make sense to search half dollars or maybe even quarters. I think I'm going to do the bouillon and just hope that the market for gold stays relatively stable or goes positive. I stay on top of the markets for the most part, but futures and commodities were never my investment choice. Until now I guess lol.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well just so happens I know of a rich Saudi Prince that recently died leaving no heirs except me. If you can send me the gift cards I can pay the inheritance tax holding up my fortune. I will reward you handsomely for you efforts.

MRBeyer

Apr 25, 2007
Moses Lake, WA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster and MXT, sluice
Joe, sorta funny but I have a feeling Eer is not in the mood. Eer, best of luck. I've always come out ahead of it when I CRH. Also, can you resell the cards?

BRC

Jun 24, 2011
Tampa Bay
Detector(s) used
Excal II, Sand Shark, At-Max, EquInox 800, Deus 2..
There are numerous companies that buys gift cards people don't want or would never use.....Kids sell their Xmas, birthday gift cards from Red Lobster and Walmart all the time to them..Google it and choose the one ya get the best deal from...

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess you could use your gift cards to purchase your Christmas and Birthday gifts for everyone. Just a thought, sorry to hear you was taken advantage of.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
I would not invest in anything I know nothing about. Buying gold bullion is a scam industry.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On another note, be careful getting the free samples of whatever-it-is-today off the internet. For just about $4.99 you get all this cool, cream, paste, body wash or whatever sewer water they are pushing. If you are DUMB ENOUGH to give them your credit card #, be absolutely assured they will send you more and more and more of their junk and it s near impossible to get them to stop.

Look for silver rolls maybe. Or better slabbed coins. At least you know they are not fakes, Although nothing is perfect.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
There are a number of places that straight up buy gift cards. Ebay gifts cards tend to lose about 20%. PM me for the URL.

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are a number of places that straight up buy gift cards. Ebay gifts cards tend to lose about 20%. PM me for the URL.

I was going to suggest the same thing. You will take a small loss but it's better than nothing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions