Lost an 18k gold Rolex

1treasurehunter1

Feb 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, Garrett Sea Hunter MK2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone,

There was a very poorly worded 18k gold Rolex up for auction on eBay. Only a year old with box and papers. Seller had only 13 feedback. Short story, I tried to bid on it on my Android phone, my bids wouldn't go through, kept trying and trying in the last 30 seconds, kept getting a "session has expired" when placing a bid. The watch ended up selling for $11,100.00. I called my local watch buyer, he said he'd pay $20,000.

So, what are the chances the seller will back out of the sale? He claims he bought it from an authorized Rolex dealer, so he knows what it's worth.

I'm kicking myself but I feel that he would have backed out of the sale. What do you think?

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey everyone,

There was a very poorly worded 18k gold Rolex up for auction on eBay. Only a year old with box and papers. Seller had only 13 feedback. Short story, I tried to bid on it on my Android phone, my bids wouldn't go through, kept trying and trying in the last 30 seconds, kept getting a "session has expired" when placing a bid. The watch ended up selling for $11,100.00. I called my local watch buyer, he said he'd pay $20,000.

So, what are the chances the seller will back out of the sale? He claims he bought it from an authorized Rolex dealer, so he knows what it's worth.

I'm kicking myself but I feel that he would have backed out of the sale. What do you think?

Great story but there is absolutely no point in speculating about this. On to the next one.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can get you one on Canal Street in Manhattan, for $200.00 :thumbsup:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think anyone who needs to wear a $10k-$20k watch has more money than brains. I think anyone who deals in Rolex's, besides having deep pockets, better be well educated on the subject. I'm just a poor boy from a poor family, too rich for my blood. If I ever buy a Rolex, you better believe it will be for literally pennies on the $100, not the $1.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Hum.... spending 20K on something found on the internet-

And a person with that much watch doesn't seem to have a very good education as it's poorly worded?

Without a thorough inspection and appraisal first- double hum....

And without independent verification from a very trusted third party- triple hum......

I guess I find 20K too hard to come by to risk that much money on 'guess what I found on the internet' auction sites.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I think anyone who needs to wear a $10k-$20k watch has more money than brains. I think anyone who deals in Rolex's, besides having deep pockets, better be well educated on the subject. I'm just a poor boy from a poor family, too rich for my blood. If I ever buy a Rolex, you better believe it will be for literally pennies on the $100, not the $1.

Back when I worked days, nights, and weekends I paid $6250 for a Rolex Submariner, 18K and stainless. Gold links stretched when I played golf, weight of watch caused a sore(constantly) on my wrist bone and it never kept good time. Two minutes a day off. I didn't wear it on weekends and so it didn't wind itself. Monday morning I had to wind and set it. Never again. Bought two Seikos to replace it and never had any trouble. New batteries every two years. This was nearly 20 years ago...
P.S. Oh yeah, I almost got jumped twice. Once a group of teen boys(I had a gun) and once two men in a restaurant(went out the side door and got away). Saw them looking for me as I drove away...

Last edited:

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To add to what everyone else is saying....Every time you miss a deal? There will be a dealer or some guy saying..." I would have paid you XXXXX for that!!!!" Until it comes time to sell it to them! Unless you know the local watch guy really well. Your into the numbers where you can get stuck real fast! I got stuck on a real Patek And was happy to get what I paid out of it! The local shop at that time appraised it between $9 and $13. I bought it for $3. Tried to sell it for almost a year for $5. Was lucky to get my money back!! Was a great watch! One thing that I overlooked in a hurry? The band was too short to fit most people!:laughing7: Great looking 18k gold watch though! Just didn't fit anyone!:laughing7::laughing7: That and at the time I was in an area where no one even knew what it was!

You'll find more! They are out there!

Last edited:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OR... Just to be a counter-point. They've got the brains that they've got so much money that $20K for a watch is equivalent to us normal folks spending $200 on one. An extra two zeros on a paycheck before the decimal point will do that...

Skippy
My point exactly. No one needs a 20k watch, I don't care how much money they have. They desire a 20k watch because it's just a status symbol for the measure of their wealth. Makes them feel like a big man in public and around their peers, nothing more, nothing less. That's the way I see it. However, I am but a lowly peasant, therefore my opinion means nothing to such a man of great wealth, one who wears a 20k watch. Hock pugh! ::)

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My point exactly. No one needs a 20k watch, I don't care how much money they have. They desire a 20k watch because it's just a status symbol for the measure of their wealth. Makes them feel like a big man in public and around their peers, nothing more, nothing less. That's the way I see it. However, I am but a lowly peasant, therefore my opinion means nothing to such a man of great wealth, one who wears a 20k watch. Hock pugh! ::)

This is why if you over price some things they are easier to sell, same with a service. People want to be able to brag to their friends what they spent. Now with some watches that are extremely rare or complicated and that are hand made, I do understand some of the desire. I don't have the money for it, but there are a lot of people out there that do!!

Even the person selling makes a difference. You can have the same watch at a flea market for a 10th of the price those type people won't even look at it. Put that same watch in a high end store for 10 times as much and they will brag that they got a deal and spent xxx, at so and so shop or store. :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread