KangaWoo

Jun 6, 2016
Aus
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a strange one.

I found an Ebayer who had listed a few items that I was interested in. They were all at low starting prices, looked legit although not the best photos or descriptions.

They also had these listed as "pick up only"
So I messaged them and ask if it was strictly pick up, or could they post. They replied saying they were happy to post to me.

I was surprised that most of the items were not bid on, and I put this down to the "pick up only"

I was the only bidder on the items I went for, I won a gold elgin watch, and a couple of silver fobs. I also took a chance on a gold chain they had listed. At only $9 I thought it was worth a shot.

So I just sent them a message to get a combined invoice including postage. They replied with "HI DID YOU HAVE A LOOK AT PICTURE SORRY BUT LOOKS LIKE SILVER
WOULD YOU LIKE ME TO COUNCIL SORRY MY MISTAKE" exact words (yes they are a worse speller than myself) :icon_scratch:

Here is a pic of the chain.
sd-l1600.jpg

Looks like gold to me :icon_scratch: seems like they might not be happy this sold for only $9

What do you guys think? Should I risk my $9 on a piece of junk metal, or go for gold?

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are they a new seller? or experienced? If they are experienced this may be scam. New seller this may be legit. I personally would chance it but its a personal conviction

OP
OP
KangaWoo

KangaWoo

Jun 6, 2016
Aus
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are they a new seller? or experienced? If they are experienced this may be scam. New seller this may be legit. I personally would chance it but its a personal conviction

They are experienced, with nearly 1500 selling feedback, only one neg feedback.

Think I will risk it too, wont be the biggest loss

OP
OP
KangaWoo

KangaWoo

Jun 6, 2016
Aus
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Soooooooooo,...was it gold?

Lol,
I shall never know. Was a very dodgy seller.

I said to post the chain anyway, and they refused. After a little back and forth I caved in and accepted a refund, and only paid for the Elgin watch.

The listing description for the watch said, "a jeweller said it was solid 9k gold". When I received it and opened the back, it was as clear as the balls on a bull "9k rg" rolled gold.
Like a jeweller would mistake that for solid gold.

So It is currently on it's way back. I have suspicions that the chain really was solid gold, but the seller was not happy with the sale price.

Win some loose some, but keep learning

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sounds like a negative on two auctions. with 1500 fb points they knew exactly what they were doing.

OP
OP
KangaWoo

KangaWoo

Jun 6, 2016
Aus
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just had another similar experience.
I won a 18k gold and plat diamond ring, was stoked with the final price.

An hour after the auction, I got a message "Hi, just got home for the weekend, my house was broken into, and everything was stolen. I will have to cancel your order"

Well, it sucks if true. But for some reason, I feel as though this was another one of those items the seller was not happy with the final price.

OP
OP
KangaWoo

KangaWoo

Jun 6, 2016
Aus
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

An hour after the auction, I got a message "Hi, just got home for the weekend, my house was broken into, and everything was stolen. I will have to cancel your order"

Well, it sucks if true. But for some reason, I feel as though this was another one of those items the seller was not happy with the final price.

Keith Jackson

Aug 12, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other

Well, I am guessing that he sent the message from his cell phone since his computer was probably "stolen", too. This is why people need to raise the minimum bids or put a reserve on things. Have I sold things for less that I was hoping to get? Of course. But I haven't sold them for less than I was willing to take. That is my minimum bid. I have a bunch of stuff up right now and while I would love to get lots of money for them, I doubt that some of them will get above the minimum bid, if indeed someone bids on them.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Hi, just got home for the weekend, my house was broken into, and everything was stolen. I will have to cancel your order"

Tell him no problem but because it was a high dollar item you require a copy of the police report listing that item. If you do not get it sounds like a scam and negative feedback. But do not threaten him with a negative, ebay will back him up.

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
Ebay States a bid is a contract. A Listing is a contract also...I would do what cyberdan suggested.

beano52

Mar 21, 2015
STL MO
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000 Eurotek Pro Tesoro Vaquero Garrett PP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is interesting, I have literally sold sports cards for $ .01 before, it cost me almost $ .50 to ship. Hey, I figured my error in listing as free shipping.

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
Had a $1 bid on an Ernie Banks autographed picture. A few hours before the auction ends, I got a notice that my bid was canceled. Auction was ended with no explanation. I guess he figured there would be no last minute bidding war.

MadPoetLaw

Feb 3, 2011
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I respectfully have to disagree. A listing is NOT a contract and ebay recognizes this several ways. Remember bidding is free on ebay but for a seller a listing is a service they pay for. This does notmean it is an exclusive contract. As a seller you have the right to cancel a sale for a great number of reasons including "i sold this already elsewhere" now i think its extreemly tacky and unprofessional for a seller to make up lame excuses to a winning bidder because it didnt go high enough but no where is it outright prohibited.

Ebay is already heavily in unbalanced in the buyers favor. Trying to enforce this would only serve to drive away more sellers.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
Under the new eBay rules for sellers you will get a defect if you cancel a transaction. If you cancel .5% of your sales you lose TRS status. Cancel 2% & you lose your ability to sell.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread