kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, please do!! It's embarrassing to say, but I've been "planning" to get started for a long time.

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go and good luck :). I'm just an occasional seller, mostly doing it to fund other hobbies. I do like the wheeling-and-dealing aspect of selling, though.

OP
OP
Sodapop

Sodapop

Nov 14, 2016
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the support guys. I appreciate it. I sold my first item last night around 2300 central. An electronic hand held CatchPhrase game that I picked up for .50 at a thrift store. It even had good batteries in it! I kept the batteries. :laughing7: Sold it for 7.99 plus 1.95 shipping. This seems to be a numbers game and the profit is made when you buy the product.

I jumped up first thing this morning and rushed to get it the mail. Learning daily with so much to go.

@cyberdan I thought you have to be a charter member to post any link to ebay. Am I wrong?

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
You can post links to eBay, but you can't try to sell your items on Tnet unless you're a Charter Member.

OP
OP
Sodapop

Sodapop

Nov 14, 2016
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for clearing that up for me kcm. I'm starting out small so that I don't hurt myself (in the pocket) trying to build up my standing. I've purchased beaucoup items before and had all positives but ebay canceled my membership after I had not used it in a couple of years. Here is one of my puny listings, but I hope it will give me another good sale.

BRITISH WEDDING SIXPENCE COINS w/Holder Elizabeth II Lot (3) | eBay

I'm trying to make do with what I have, but any suggestions are most welcome.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have started your auction a bit higher. 79¢ bid right now, if no more bids shipping will cost more than the entire auction.

when I calculate start bid or buy it now this is how I figure

cost of item
postage
ebay & PP fees based on above (approx 13%)

you will break even if selling for only that amount of $$
now how much is the minimum you will accept if you only get one bid?
add that to above and readjust the 2 fees
that should be your start bid.

For BUY IT NOW do the same but tack on the amount of $$ profit you want to make.

also I never mention I will accept returns in my description. (yes, ebay can force it, but I do not want to point it out)

OP
OP
Sodapop

Sodapop

Nov 14, 2016
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
^ I get what you mean and your advice is spot on. The reason I did it that way is to get some numbers going. I'm at a zero right now and I need to build up, so I figured I could stand a potential loss of a couple of bucks to get a sale and a happy customer. I'm hoping for some bid at the end.

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haha. I started my account by selling half dollars for $.40 with free shipping. I think I sold 20 of them and then just put them in the envelope with a stamp. Got my feedback rating and started listing baseball cards. Was easy starting up 10 yrs ago.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Haha. I started my account by selling half dollars for $.40 with free shipping. I think I sold 20 of them and then just put them in the envelope with a stamp. Got my feedback rating and started listing baseball cards. Was easy starting up 10 yrs ago.

What, you can't do that now? ...Btw, that's actually a very smart idea! :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Sodapop

Sodapop

Nov 14, 2016
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, two of my listings went unsold today. They were single magazines out of a full year (Heavy Metal 1979). So now, I'm going to list them as a complete set. I think I got a winner today to post when ebay gets their posting glitch fixed.

It's a Vtech "Baby Tunes Music Player". I did not know the worth, but I unscrewed (I'm learning guys. Small slotted and phillips with AAA, AA and a nine volt in my pockets) the battery cover, put my batteries in and it works like a charm. Clean too. One small scuff where the strap rubs the player, I think. Looked it up when I got home and did a little dance. Bought it for .74.

20161123_181730_zps1xhlczfe.jpg

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I bet that you could get $1 and break even now.

you can get them for 50¢ each at most banks now. $10 a roll and $500 a box. (I used to buy 2-3 boxes a week)

OP
OP
Sodapop

Sodapop

Nov 14, 2016
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
74¢ ? ?

what an odd price. good job.

dollardan

You're right. I looked up the receipt and it read .75. The toy was .99 with 25% off. I assumed when I posted. You know what assume means, right? :laughing7:

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
You can't sell "lower value" stuff as an auction. Gotta do BIN. Otherwise, you are just gonna lose money on those items (if offering free shipping). You should know approximately how much profit you expect to make on every item you list before it sells (preferably when you buy it).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread