Advice for eBay Business - Book Keeping, etc.

airjoedan

May 8, 2012
Hello,

First time poster but frequent lurker :-)

I have been an eBayer for years but strictly a hobbyist. I have sold many things over the years and am very experienced with how eBay works, I just never approached eBay as a business - never looking for profit. Generally as a hobby buyer/seller, I lose money selling as I buy items that interest me instead of looking for any potential return on the money spent. That being said, I know how to eBay.

I believe that if I set my hobby aside, I have the ability to make money with a niche inventory and would like to try this as a very small side job. I would like to start 2017 with this idea. Here are my goals:

1. I will keep track of everything I buy (receipts, travel, etc.)
2. I will keep track of everything I sell (shipping, eBay fees, PayPal fees - I know eBay offers a detailed breakdown upon request)
3. I want to separate this from my personal/regular work finances
4. I want this to have a business name and would potentially explore making this an LLC vs a sole proprietorship
5. I will have some minimal startup costs that I would like to try to deduct

My question for the experienced individuals on this message board is in regard to the tax information and how I should approach this from the business side. If I would expect $25K in sales at best with a 30% profit margin in the first year and I want this separate from my personal return, do you have an opinion on that? Any advice? I would expect business to grow after the first year but would not expect to ever employ anyone.

Any advice is appreciated and I apologize if anything I said above sounds stupid, please feel free to set me straight :-)

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
I noticed this was your very first post airjoedan - so, Welcome Aboard! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forums: Select Your Area.... and selecting location information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country).

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why did you have to ask this question right now? ;)

Just one hour ago I told my wife I am going to start my business bookkeeping for 2016. I have been putting it off by checking all my t-net forums. I guess I will start after this post to you.

This is what I did years ago and it has worked just fine. I have a local business license (no need for LLC) my company name has my last name in it. I took my business license to a local bank that I did not have any accounts with and opened up a small business checking account. (free at a credit union) I also have a paypal account under the same name. I linked both together. All sales on ebay go through paypal. After $$ add up I transfer to bank. I need supplies I use paypal debit card. All purchases on paypal I get sent an email receipt and I print it out for tax time. I never mix family and business money.

During the year when I buy I record everything on a spreadsheet I wrote. one page for buys, one page for sales and one page for miles driven.

With EVERY sale on ebay I get an email of the transaction, I print it out and attach a label I have pre printed.
(I now have a box full of these ebay sales transactions. That is what I was going to do until I saw your post.)

On this label is printed:
Item Cost
Ebay fee
Ship fee
Paypal fee
USPS cost
CA Tax
TOTAL (this is total cost to customer, just subtract all the above costs to figure profit/loss)
Profit
Loss

During the year I fill in the item cost only. Now I need to fill in all the rest from the records I print out during the year. ;( to see what kind of profit this end of my business made. I also buy/sell gold and silver and do electronic recycling. It is like three separate businesses for bookkeeping but for taxes I bring the bottom line on each together to see what I did.

I hope I did not scare you away because of the boring paperwork that needs to be done, but as a business it needs to be done and accurately. Before I retired a few months ago I was a number cruncher and I still am.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread