Well. Got bit by someone trying to claim fraud so they could keep my coin...

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
It sure can work that way. I did it once.
A guy sold me a special edition picture disc album once. I sent the money, no album came. About that time his feedback started taking hits from other buyers. I requested his info thru eBay and got his address. Turned out it was not too far off the route I take going back and forth from VA to NJ and back. The next time I went near there I called the local PD and informed them of the situation. They were familiar with the guy and said call if I had trouble.
I got my item. With profuse apologies from the young guy.

If you say so... Although your story has almost nothing to do with my comment or the comment I was responding to.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a weird coin that I bought a few years ago....I'm fairly confident this is a heat-damaged coin that has been cleaned.

To me it looks like a metal detecting find that sat in some muck and then cleaned.
Either way you got that ugly girl back, time to put her in the melt pile unless it is a rare or key date.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After viewing photos of the coin, I retract my statement calling the buyer a scammer dirtbag or whatever lol. That is one ugly coin. I do think the low weight should have been mentioned in the original listing though.

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a dug coin, but of course, that doesn't mean it's a fake. Glad you got it back at least.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally, I would have never bid on that coin in the first place. So I get your point.

Devil's advocate though... Are you sure the coin is legit? Have you tested it for silver content? Maybe it actually is a cast counterfeit and not environmental and/or heat damage?

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Skippy
Is the coin graded? If yes, then the coin is real. I never purchased or sell items on E bay.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I personally don't think the coin looks all that bad, I assume the auction contained multiple high res pics, so not much of an excuse other than a sore butt buyer who was hoping it would magically change appearance in hand.

Bud Aurum

Jan 6, 2017
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Skippy, Your absolutely right about Ebays return policy. It does not matter what you set up, the buyer can just say "not as advertised", or whatever and your forced to send them a return address label... Total BS

This has happened to me a couple times and one time was a watch. The buyer did not contact me and just used EBay's automated service and stated there was no "Crown".

Not only did I get a returned watch, now with no crown, I had to pay shipping both ways. Made me furious
All you can do is wish them bad karma. I called Ebay and got nowhere...

Your Bud Aurum

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Skippy, Your absolutely right about Ebays return policy. It does not matter what you set up, the buyer can just say "not as advertised", or whatever and your forced to send them a return address label... Total BS

It has only happened to me one time in the last several years, that I can remember. (I posted this story last year, I will make short this time)

I shipped out a box of computer & cell phone greenboards so some guy could pull the gold.
He got the box and opened it and screamed bloody murder NOT AS DESCRIBED.
There was something extra inside.
I issued a return label through ebay right away. (it only cost me a couple $$ but it was for priority mail box, good discount)
I got back box and saw the extra item. I was happy and issued refund.
Later sold the greenboards for more $$.

Look at photo. This is what came back. I am guessing my box broke open (at a postoffice shipping hub) and another box also broke open and spilled its contents. So some postal employee without a brain in his/her head just crammed it in my box and sent it on it's way. I wonder if some gunsmith got a box with greenboards inside?

Attachments

• gun-1.jpg
    gun-1.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 84

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread