Well. Got bit by someone trying to claim fraud so they could keep my coin...

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Skippy...yep..you are right...chalk it up to the one creep who is willing to trash everybody for 5 stinkin dollars...we know it's real, you know it's real...and so does the Creep..just hope and pray that when..and if..u get "the" coin back, that it is the one you sent him and not a genuine fake...I said "genuine fake"..lol. It's a roll of the dice Skippy, I refer to it as the GP syndrome...or general public. I'm sorry for your horrible experience, as we all know, Fee-bay heavily favors the buyer, and this us how Creep got around the no return policy..by crying fraud...I hope this ordeal doesn't get any worse..if it can. Please keep us posted..Ddf

buzzhead

Sep 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Refund on receipt of item if worth your time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always take returns, but I haven't sold anything in several months due to the stupidity of some of the buyers lately. Or maybe it's wifey made him sing soprano after finding out what he bought last.

choppadude

Dec 23, 2012
Twin Tiers NY
Detector(s) used
XP Deus X2, CTX 3030, E Trac, T2, AT Pro, AKA Sorex, Makro Kruzer, Minelab GP3500, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to mark my items in a small spot with an invisible marker that only showed up under UV light, that way I know if someone is trying to pull the ole bait and switch with one of my items. It also helps to take close up pics of your item for your records showing minute details. Been selling on eBay for 15 years and I have about seen it all.

deserdog

May 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That really sucks. I know Ebay does not do much to protect a seller when a buyer does this sort of crap. I wonder though, (maybe not in this case) if a buyer sent you back a different item if you could get the Post Office involved. It has to be some sort of fraud, especially if the seller can prove the item they received back is not the item they sent the buyer.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to hear about this. Question- Did the buyer actually open an item "significantly not as described" case against you or was he just messaging you as to his "thoughts" on the coin?
Why would you accept anything and send a return label to this i-diot to begin with? To make his scam easier and more legit? Doesn't make sense to me. Your response should have been... If you have a problem, send me my coin back then I will refund you, don't even mention the return shipping costs. Simple. If he didn't actually open a case against you (which I doubt he did because ebay gives the opportunity to resolve problems beforehand now), chances are he would have gone away on his own. Are you a newer seller? In the future respond accordingly if you feel you are right. Do not be afraid of a negative feedback from a scammer or petty dirtbag.

Personally, when it comes to anything gold or silver, I always take a photo of the object sitting on a scale and write the actual weight in my listing also. This helps to avoid situations like such.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
FWIW - I checked on the buyer and he (or she) is showing 45 total buys at 100% satisfaction. I would give him (or her) the benefit of doubt and expect to get your coin back. The buyer may truly believe (right or wrong) that the coin is fake and was just as pissed off as you are right now? Anyway - can't wait to see if I am right (or wrong)...

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Dig. When I get a message from a buyer saying something is wrong I will message back and forth until I am satisfied that I am right or I am wrong. I keep it very professional and let them proof it. Two times I have been called on something and two times I was wrong but the communications was never a negitive response to each other. They proved I was wrong I accepted the outcome and took care of it.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I was selling I stopped giving auto+ fb on payment, just to avoid giving a jerk + fb .. I gave it out when it was given to me.
Trifling point I know, but made me feel better. When ebay stripped sellers of the ability to give buyers anything other than glowing +, they opened the door for arrogant and sometimes scamming buyers to run riot.

"No refund" policy is almost pointless, I ended up switching that too to 7 days if not as described. As a buyer I like to see the option there, so you might want to consider that as well.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
I would have informed him of Federal Law and if he really felt there was a counterfeit sold as real and he did not report it then he too is at fault.

Anyway, seen this before, when you refund the guy you will get aback another coin, well the same exact coin, just not the one you sold him, one in worse shape.

I have had people attempt ebay fraud against me when I have sold them items. I will show up to their address.

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"No refund" policy is almost pointless, I ended up switching that too to 7 days if not as described. As a buyer I like to see the option there, so you might want to consider that as well.

Thanks for the tip. I just have a standard default no returns. Nice to hear what a buyer likes, will change based on your recommendation.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
not going to bother selling any more on EBay, though.

You should not let one idiot (or scammer) drive you away from feeBay. For all the faults of ebay (and there are many directed at the seller) where else can you get your item exposed to millions of people and possibly sell it for only a 10% fee?

Try selling the same item in a consignment store. It could sit for months and only have a few hundred people walk by and the commission could be a lot higher.

I am happy with my sales last year and they made $550 off of me.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I would have informed him of Federal Law and if he really felt there was a counterfeit sold as real and he did not report it then he too is at fault.

Anyway, seen this before, when you refund the guy you will get aback another coin, well the same exact coin, just not the one you sold him, one in worse shape.

I have had people attempt ebay fraud against me when I have sold them items. I will show up to their address.

That is not how this works. This is not some movie plot...

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
I'm not sure why people keep calling the buyer a "scammer".. That remains to be seen. You don't have the coin back yet. So much hand wringing and woe is me on this thread BEFORE all the facts are on the table. Let us know when you actually have it in your hand... As a seller on Ebay since 1999 though I do agree that where returns are concerned I give a refund after the item is shipped back, not before..

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I saw also that the no refund policy was pointless. I also see Oddjob's point that I could have challenged him to prove it was a counterfeit... He was just "claiming" it was, because it didn't "look authentic." His exact words were that it looked "cast" and because he was a tool and die maker, he was an authority on the subject.

I simply added him to my banned list, and actually went out and found where he had bid on a Morgan Dollar (and was the top bidder)... and then cancelled his bid. I wasn't about to do that garbage, twice! That made me feel better. LOL

Skippy

Crazy things can happen, as with any personal interaction with complete strangers.
Came across a bunch of dollars that were made out of paper thin silver, never saw those before and they sold quickly.

One guy bought one and immediately wanted to buy more off ebay, but I told him thanks but I am happy with the way they are selling already. I shipped it to him and a few days later he sends a message how happy he is with it, and am I sure I don't want to sell more on the side ?
I said glad you like it but I only have a few more left and they are all listed .... So we ended up having a back and forth dialog that meandered into completely unrelated things, friendly at first but this guy was a real know it all, and getting increasingly conceited and overbearing. He offered some condescending advice about something that I happen to know quite a bit about as I do it for a living, and finally I said hey, if I ever need your advice I'll let you know, right now I don't thanks anyhow.
This really set him off and he starts blowing up, I took the kids gloves right off and hit right back with a bare knuckled roundhouse. Then he says ha ! You are so dumb, that silver dollar you sold me, I already flipped it and made a nice profit ! I had had enough wasting time with this idiot so I blocked his messages. Next thing I know is he claims he didn't receive the item, purely out of spite, and demands a refund.

This should be easy, I thought. Didn't have tracking but he gave me glowing feedback saying "Great seller, item as described" before our little blowup. And I had him on ebays own mail system admitting that he not only got the item but resold it for a profit. Also sent them his messages needling me to sell off of ebay, which is obviously against their rules.

Ebay didn't care about any of that, alls they wanted was a tracking number. It was like I was dealing with pre programmed automatons. Couldn't supply one, so I ended up losing the item and paying for it too.

Last edited:

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
You got your same coin back.. So as I said.. you haven't been scammed. He simply changed his mind because, let's be honest here, it is a pretty ugly coin. I'd be interested to see your original auction description including whatever pictures you put with the ad.. But in any case you were not ripped off and you were not scammed. A simple case of buyers remorse which is part of the deal when dealing with people on Ebay. He used the "item not as described" trick to get around your no returns policy because he knows how to play the game. If it was me I would block him from future bidding and let it go.

Last edited:

markmopar

Feb 15, 2008
southern NJ/southeast VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is not how this works. This is not some movie plot...

It sure can work that way. I did it once.
A guy sold me a special edition picture disc album once. I sent the money, no album came. About that time his feedback started taking hits from other buyers. I requested his info thru eBay and got his address. Turned out it was not too far off the route I take going back and forth from VA to NJ and back. The next time I went near there I called the local PD and informed them of the situation. They were familiar with the guy and said call if I had trouble.
I got my item. With profuse apologies from the young guy.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dunno VP...Basically, he got it, looked at the appearance, and didn't want it. Maybe I should have pushed back... but I was worried about the negative feedback impacting sales of the Tip Protectors. So... this guy gamed me, won, and I lost $5.20 in the transaction. I banned him from any listings, and booted him from the other auction of the also genuine Morgan dollar...

metal_detector.gif
I hear ya loud and clear - would have done the same thing - karma will bite him in the butt! Let us know when you get it back (hopefully).

fmerg

Nov 1, 2008
kingston ny
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
minelab quattro, explorer se pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1) E-bay always says to wait until you get your money back before shipping
2) tell the buyer to take it to his local coin shop
3) call e-bay support they are very good at helping the seller and buyer

Top Member Reactions