How can this seller sale and ship for this amount?

deserdog

May 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bought a large roll of bubble wrap of a seller on Ebay. 350' x12" for $18.39, free shipping. It arrived today, delivered by the post office, priority mail. From zip code 44147 to 92345.(Zone 8)The roll measures 22" x 22" x 11". SSo how can this seller be selling and shipping from zone 8, a dimensional package, for $18.39 with free shipping?

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
bet it's a ripoff I'd send it back

OP
OP
D

deserdog

May 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The bubble wrap is fine. I only paid $18.39, with free shipping. I am looking at the label, the top part, it says:
PRIORITY MAIL
Feb. 01 2017
Mailed from ZIP 44147
PM Cubic .20 Zone 8

Does anyone know what the PM Cubic .20 means?

OP
OP
D

deserdog

May 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found out what the PM Cubic .20 Zone 8 means.
Priority mail Cubic
USPS Cubic Pricing provides high volume shipping customers discounted rates for small, heavy packages. Priority Mail packages weighing less than 20 pounds and measuring no more than 0.5 cubic feet in volume are eligible for Cubic Pricing as long as you meet the minimum package requirements. For these packages, customers will pay shipping costs for the actual size of the package and the shipping distance instead of its weight.

Here is a link that explains PM Cubic: Stamps.com - USPS Cubic Pricing, Priority Mail Cubic Shipping

So what the label means is that the seller purchased a label for a small heavy package the was up .2O cubic feet and paid $7.09 for shipping. When the package was 22" x 22" x 11". When I went to USPS.com and calculated the shipping for a pacakge this size, retail it was over $60.00!! So the seller is just ripping off the post office!

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
It's bubble wrap. Post office probably makes an exception in this case as 1) they can't exactly harm it 2) it's lightweight and 3) they may be making money with it next time around, after you use it for shipping items out.

Many businesses out there have certain types of products, OR are able to get delivery contracts for very low due to the type of merchandise they sell. This most likely falls in one of those categories.

If it bothers you too much, you can always go down to your local post office and buy about $20 of forever stamps. :laughing7:

EDIT: Can't remember now what it was, but a similar thing happened to us last year. We bought and had shipped something for FAR less than we could have bought the item locally. Actually, for us, the $99/year to be Amazon Prime (2-day shipping) is WELL worth the money!! I can't tell you how much we've saved from buying online, and that's just in gas from not having to make the 100-mile round trip to town!!

Last edited:

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
and that's just in gas from not having to make the 100-mile round trip to town!!

you have 100 mile round trip? I just moved to a town population 8800 and is the county seat. It has a wallmart and home depot but the closest real town is 180 mile round trip. but I like it here much more. A LOT LESS TRAFFIC and this is the heart of gold and bigfoot country.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
"So the seller is just ripping off the post office!"

Sounds to me like the seller is playing by the rules. For years it's been much cheaper to ship books by USPS than almost anything else. Have I been cheating all these years? I hope not.

Many businesses give discounts for big customers. You can pre-sort 1st Class letters, mail a lot of them, etc., and save money.

As for forever stamps, I do like them. Didn't even bother me when postage recently went down.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM

OP
OP
D

deserdog

May 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think it is a special deal with the post office at all. I think the seller is just screwing the PO. The package i got is about 4179 cubic inches, the label the shipper used was for a package no bigger than 345.6 cubic inches. PM Cubic, the shippers pays for the size of the item, not the weight, and is for small, heavy items.

It might not bother some people when shipeprs cheat the post office, but it does me becasue it will come back and bite us all in the a**

OP
OP
D

deserdog

May 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You cannot use a PM cubic shipping label on anything over .5 cubic feet.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you have 100 mile round trip? I just moved to a town population 8800 and is the county seat. It has a wallmart and home depot but the closest real town is 180 mile round trip. but I like it here much more. A LOT LESS TRAFFIC and this is the heart of gold and bigfoot country.

Speaking of Bigfoot, I haven't heard of any new sightings lately. I hope he's ok.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think it is a special deal with the post office at all. I think the seller is just screwing the PO. The package i got is about 4179 cubic inches, the label the shipper used was for a package no bigger than 345.6 cubic inches. PM Cubic, the shippers pays for the size of the item, not the weight, and is for small, heavy items.

It might not bother some people when shipeprs cheat the post office, but it does me becasue it will come back and bite us all in the a**

You don't think the PO checks things like that? I've heard of packages getting delivered with postage due for being an ounce over the next pound.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bet it's a ripoff I'd send it back

Yea Better pop some bubbles make sure they sound good :laughing7:

you can always go to the post office , have them weigh it & reimburse them for their loss

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

deserdog

May 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Obviously they don't yet, this type of mailing is sort of new. A PM Cubic label is limited to a package not bigger than 1/5 of a cubic foot, a little over 346 cubic inches and 20 lbs.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
have you heard the saying ' don't look a gift horse in the mouth'?

look, you paid for it, you got it. Why are you wasting so much time worrying?
as the storm troopers say " move on, move on"

buzzhead

Sep 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've wondered the same but if I order it and it shows up I don't care what it costs someone to ship it. I did my research when I bought and paid for it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
have you heard the saying ' don't look a gift horse in the mouth'?

look, you paid for it, you got it. Why are you wasting so much time worrying?
as the storm troopers say " move on, move on"
Jeff is right here. you people worry about nothing .. You paid you got it you think you got a deal and you complain about it ???????

OP
OP
D

deserdog

May 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First to begin with, the shipping was stated to be ups, delivery 02-08, so I assumed it would be slow ground delivery. Secondly, I have seen numerous posts about sellers shipping items media mail that don't qulify as media mail, that they are cheating the post office. And this mis-use of media mail pales in comparison to using the PM Cubic label for a package over 4000 cubic inches. All of you who say why are you complaining, I am not. I am saying it is not right for sellers to rip off the post office. By the way you talk, it would be okay to get a deal on something if the something was stolen.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
The US Post Office is, in most larger terminals, a very sophisticated process. They "should" have devices in place that would catch something like this - like for example having anything with that type of label having to fit through a certain size opening or be rejected for hands-on investigation. If they don't, then that's your tax $$ efficiently at work. :tongue3: Again, I wouldn't worry too much about it. When enough people start abusing the system in this way, the USPS will make the necessary system modifications.

If you feel that strongly about it, you can always take your bubble wrap to the Post Office and show them in person, then ask how and why it was delivered. You might also take a few photos and send an informative email to the main USPS office in Washington DC and see what they have to say.

....One more thing - you said that it was "supposed" to be delivered via UPS? Could it have been a dual delivery, meaning that UPS got it to your local Post Office, and they got it to your door?? If that was the case, then there was no wrong-doing on the Sellers/Shippers part.

OP
OP
D

deserdog

May 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was never really worried about it. UPS delivery was supposed to be on Feb. 8. I orderd it Feb. 1 and it was delivered on Feb. 3. With the priority mail label from Ohio, zip 44147. If it was from somewhere locally I would have not given it a second thought. But when I saw the label and the zip code, since I ship things all the time, it made me wonder. And then I saw the PM Cubic .20 on the label, I had never come across that before so I wanted t know what it meant.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First to begin with, the shipping was stated to be ups, delivery 02-08, so I assumed it would be slow ground delivery. Secondly, I have seen numerous posts about sellers shipping items media mail that don't qulify as media mail, that they are cheating the post office. And this mis-use of media mail pales in comparison to using the PM Cubic label for a package over 4000 cubic inches. All of you who say why are you complaining, I am not. I am saying it is not right for sellers to rip off the post office. By the way you talk, it would be okay to get a deal on something if the something was stolen.

Where on HERE have you seen numerous posts about people abusing media mail? The post office can open any package sent media mail to inspect it. Unless the package is lead lined, contents are easily seen on a scanner. Nobody said anything about it being ok to deal in stolen goods either.

Again, the USPS has systems in place to prevent fraud. Something may slip by them once in a while, but you bet they will catch on , probably sooner than later.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread