Shipping a first class envelope...

KirkS

Jan 10, 2017
St Pete FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro Sand Shark, White's TreasurePro, Tesoro Compadre, Fisher F2 + TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So I've been an ebay seller for 18 yrs now (1/17/99), and have never had much trouble with the shipping options, until now.

I decided to try and sell some star notes. I saw other sellers listing shipping at around $1, so I put my shipping (standard shipping) at $1. I sold a $10 and $1 bill, and was paid right away. Did well on the $10 ($20.50), but only $1.04 on the $1 bill. Anyway, the least expensive shipping option with tracking is $2.61! So how is a seller supposed to ship this type of stuff? I decided I'm just going to put a stamp on an envelope, and let the chips fall where they may. I do realize I'm exposing myself to an Item Not Received complaint, but what else should I do?

How do the other sellers ship notes and only charge $1? Are they doing what I did, and just keeping their fingers crossed, or what?

deserdog

May 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are correct, the cheapest option with tracking is $2.61. You just have to take the chance. Until recently, a patch that I sold was $13.50, so I went to just large envelope with no tracking, and it is only $4.16. So I have sold more of the patches internationally, and have not had any not as received yet.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would Put them Between two pieces of Sturdy Cardboard, Just to prevent Bends & Xray vision
By holding it up to a Bright light.

Some Mail Carriers like to roughly stuff things in Mail slots.
and the Words Do Not Bend seem to be a Dare.

Last edited:

deserdog

May 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This shoould help so that the bills will not get bent. If it is over 1/4" thick though, it will still cost you $2.61.

buzzhead

Sep 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know if I collected currency I'd be super pissed if there wasn't some type of protection for the bills. Sometimes mistakes are made in shipping cost estimates and you have to bite the bullet and ship the more expensive way or risk a damaged package and contents claim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deserdog

May 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only thing that I don't ship in boxes are the patches I mentioned above.

OP
OP
KirkS

KirkS

Jan 10, 2017
St Pete FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro Sand Shark, White's TreasurePro, Tesoro Compadre, Fisher F2 + TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I put a piece of cardboard and the note(s), and wrapped them in 2 sheets of paper, and put them in envelopes. Should be fine.

Thanks guys.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread