Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had a buyer buy a pocket watch, it was 14GF and the buyer thought they were getting 14K. Contacted me the same day they received it and said not gold. Never said it was. List 14k since it has 14k on the inside cover =>14K<=. No problem said return in same condition and no missing parts and I will refund. Received it today. Must have used sand paper to check it out. Any I sent a msg saying it is not the same condition and send and if they disagree will let ebay review pictures. First picture is what was on ebay second is how it looks now. What are the chances of ebay siding with me the seller or the buyer DSC07888.JPG DSC07980.JPG you may have to enlarge pictures.

buzzhead

Sep 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck with that....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, ebay does not side with sellers.

you should call customer service and try to get an American to get a case going. your customer damaged the watch. have them take notes and put in their computer. does your ad clearly say 14k GF or does it say "20 year guarantee" ? Some people do not know that the higher the years the heavier the gold fill is.

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you would have said 14K GF in the ad, since you knew it was GF, you probably would not be in this position because this buyer would not have bought it. The lesson here is to always describe an item exactly as it is so that people get exactly what they think they are getting when they get it. Good luck with Ebay.

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
If your listing did not specifically mention 14K GF and then spell out Gold Filled in the description, eBay will automatically side with the buyer. Rules are you can only list "GF" in the title and anytime you mention "Gold" in the description, it must be followed by "filled". I'm sure buried in those rules is 14k must be followed by gold filled also. Good Luck. But you already know that guy is getting a refund at your expense unless the phone conversation helps you.

OP
OP
Beans

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lesson learned. Although the watch had =>14k<= which how I listed in description.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I listed a 14k GF wristwatch once and this guy bid on it and later realized it was gold fill. He said I was deceptive in my listing making it appear as a solid gold case and informed me if he comes out as the highest bidder I can expect he won't be honoring it. I was pretty sure he'd be out bid and he was. Funny how some people shift blame on their mistakes.

Last edited:

MackinawGirl

Jun 10, 2011
Northern Michigan/Northern Utah
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace400, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger, Garrett Waist treasure bag
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sell on eBay and had 100% feedback for over 4000 items, until one buyer who didn't read the auction details wasn't happy. I gave a full refund and still left me negative feedback which dropped my rating to 99.3% in one smack. I spent so much time on the phone trying to get them to reverse the feedback because I willingly and openly gave a refund but they wouldn't. I even talked to supervisors who are useless too. But sellers cannot leave bad feedback to buyers anymore! SMH !!!!! Sorry this happened to you. I have almost left eBay several times but Amazon is hard to sell on. Their listing options suck.

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I offer insanely detailed descriptions and do not offer returns, so far so good.

buzzhead

Sep 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not accepting returns doesn't matter, all the buyer has to do is open an inad. Item not as described, they will get a refund no matter what your policy is....

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not accepting returns doesn't matter, all the buyer has to do is open an inad. Item not as described, they will get a refund no matter what your policy is....

Thats why I list details to the tee with good photos. But you're right - ebay has to baby the buyer even if they just had buyers remorse or bid on it when they were drunk and didn't like it so much when it showed up.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
until one buyer who didn't read the auction details wasn't happy.
you could have given a sarcastic positive. other sellers would understand. it could be like:
Great buyer. Didn't read my accurate description. Got a refund and then left me a neg. Sellers watch out.

I have left a few and never had a problem with fleeBay.

DannyB.

Jan 20, 2015
Washington/Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Tesoro Silver UMax
Fisher 1265x
Fisher F75 SE LTD
Bounty Hunter LRP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I sell on eBay and had 100% feedback for over 4000 items, until one buyer who didn't read the auction details wasn't happy. I gave a full refund and still left me negative feedback which dropped my rating to 99.3% in one smack. I spent so much time on the phone trying to get them to reverse the feedback because I willingly and openly gave a refund but they wouldn't. I even talked to supervisors who are useless too. But sellers cannot leave bad feedback to buyers anymore! SMH !!!!! Sorry this happened to you. I have almost left eBay several times but Amazon is hard to sell on. Their listing options suck.

4000 transactions and one neg.. would not stop me from buying.

I know it's impossible to make everyone happy.

But.. I understand your point.

oredigger62

Jun 12, 2013
Austinville Va.
Detector(s) used
Fisher goldbug 2
Garrett infinium
garrett AT-MAX
Garrett sea hunter mark 2
Fisher gemini 3 ( two box )
Equinox 800
Nokta Simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been selling on ebay since 1997 and i will say that ebay has transitioned into a buyer is king mentality because they want you to buy through ebay and not amazon. No matter what a seller does the buyer can still get a refund for the asking. sadly , ebay is now forcing sellers to refund return shipping costs in most cases. Until an ebay clone comes along this is what we are stuck with. Good luck with your issue. When i list something like that i just state see all pics and decide for yourself as i dont know anything about the item. The less details i put in puts more responsibility on the buyer. My one negative feedback i have received was for a trunk mounted cargo net... the guy claimed the nylon net " had an odor " but never requested a refund. In checking his feedbacks left for others it showes that he leaves negatives at a rate of 15 per month. Had i saw that in advance i would have cancelled his purchase.... now i check.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I dont understand why you did not indicate that it was gold filled in the description. I would have returned it too... You were asking for problems with this one.

OP
OP
Beans

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont understand why you did not indicate that it was gold filled in the description. I would have returned it too... You were asking for problems with this one.

I listed what was on the watch. To me saying gold filled was assuming. Watch did not say in words or letters, had =>14k<=. So that is how I listed.

KirkS

Jan 10, 2017
St Pete FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro Sand Shark, White's TreasurePro, Tesoro Compadre, Fisher F2 + TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Any chance you want to show us the auction listing? That would certainly help.

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh ok...I see the mark on the watch better now. I probably would have listed it the same way too. But I get my stuff electronically tested just to make sure I don't get returns. Once I get someone's money in my pocket...I hate to give it back! That 14K mark would have had me jumping up and down.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread