Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This made me laugh out loud! Sorry but I was at a thrift store this weekend. They had a gold ring for $85. I paid $85 even though my scale said 9 grams. Did I cheat them too? Should I have offered $200 instead. I don't understand.
You had purchased this item in person, so you had a chance to check it out. It is the staff who should have knowledge of what their items are worth. It is not up to buyers to tell the sellers how much their items are worth. Most if not all thrift stores get all their items for free. The staff should asked the people who are donating the items how much they pay for them. Good deals are make all the time in thrift stores including art works. You did good.

Last edited:

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
honestly unless you have at least a minimum of 100 feedback all 100 percent positive i don't bid on the auction. if your a scammer by that time the feedback will speak for itself.

That's probably true. Unless the seller built up their feedback so they could scam people out of higher dollar amounts or hijacked someone else's account.

strongarm18

Apr 10, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I assume you got your money back. I'm an avid eBay seller and know how their policies work. The seller may not offer a refund but this kind of case opened against him he would lose 100%.

Sorry that you had to deal with the trouble, but Ebay CS is always spot on when a buyer is done wrong.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I assume you got your money back. I'm an avid eBay seller and know how their policies work. The seller may not offer a refund but this kind of case opened against him he would lose 100%.

Sorry that you had to deal with the trouble, but Ebay CS is always spot on when a buyer is done wrong.

I did eventually. Had to send it back to him so he could relist it and sell it again I'm sure.

strongarm18

Apr 10, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At his cost though. eBay is not kind to those who corrupt their market.:occasion14:

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
honestly unless you have at least a minimum of 100 feedback all 100 percent positive i don't bid on the auction. if your a scammer by that time the feedback will speak for itself.

I love that people feel like this. I've gotten some really good deals from people with low feedback and the same thing with people who have 92-93% feedback rating. With ebay's buyer protection, it's kind of silly to avoid deals from those sellers.

BruiserBrody

May 18, 2011
I won a vintage toy lot for well under the real value. Then the seller simply sent me a message telling me it's not enough and refunded my cash. I tried to make him send the stuff, but he wasn't having it.

On the other side of the coin, I won a 60 dollar toy and the seller took two months to send it, so he gave it to me for free as a make good.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I won a vintage toy lot for well under the real value. Then the seller simply sent me a message telling me it's not enough and refunded my cash. I tried to make him send the stuff, but he wasn't having it.

This is when you forward the messages to ebay, leave a negative and move on.

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ouch. Didn't get to finishing this thread yet but I hope/am fairly certain this resolved without any issue once eBay stepped in. I've had similar things occur in the past - quite surprising this was your first time! Whenever I buy its almost always brand-spanking-new listings.. which, in most cases, require a buy it now & look at the fine details later (for example if the picture up close checks out with the title/description etc). I did buy a rather heavy "18K" bracelet once for $100 BIN. Came all the way from Czechoslovakia... complete bust as this was. Marked 18K and .750.. Held onto the damned thing forever as a reminder to myself. Could have returned it, but the amount of headache with shipping etc.. Just didn't even want to deal with the thing any more after that. Nicely detailed bracelet, just not worth a grain of gold to me. Sold it recently for $53 shipped as it was, a nice looking costume bracelet. Though I no longer have physical possession of it, I don't think I'll ever forget the $50 odd dollars it cost me.

Can't say it was much of a lesson learned, though, other than to promptly address & return anything not as described without hesitation :P

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

On the other side of the coin, I won a 60 dollar toy and the seller took two months to send it, so he gave it to me for free as a make good.

That has happened to me a few times, especially with auctions where the seller did a poor job of photographing/describing the item. I get winning/only bid.. seller cancels order.. Mostly with engagement type rings.

Awesome to see that some sellers go that far to make good! I had bought two ASE 1 oz from a seller and after taking over a week to ship he threw in a 1/2 oz coin.. I wasn't even complaining or being anything less than patient. Complete surprise and I was truly grateful. Does not happen nearly as often as the reverse, but I suppose it makes it that much more special.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got scammed once, let it go. Made a nice present to someone who didn't mind the particulars. Recently had to return something, no issues.

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love that people feel like this. I've gotten some really good deals from people with low feedback and the same thing with people who have 92-93% feedback rating. With ebay's buyer protection, it's kind of silly to avoid deals from those sellers.

100% agree. Most of my best deals have been from sellers with feedback under 30. eBay buyer protection as you mentioned is absolutely the key. As long as you have the patience to weed through the occasional fakes and flukes and go through the process of returning them.. you will also enjoy the fruits of your labor in the form of great deals. Comparable metal detecting for gold items... yes, there are plenty of trash signals in that range, but that doesn't change the fact that there is Au there. Not to mention, just as with a detector, you'll learn to weed out quite a few of the trash signals.:icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread