Ebay 2017 - The new rules and buying scams... has already began.

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have some items that I need to sell and are better suited for a market such as eBay. However, after reading here about the new rules biased towards the Buyer and how they can literally claim that an item is not as described or missing something and eBay/PayPal will issue a refund to them and they never have to return the item, then I am out. I decided to to take my chances with Craigslist and deal with the Scammers and yes I have had two already trying to scam me out of my' like new Tag Heuer Aquaracer 300m Diver's Watch (Way1110-BA0910) complete with inner case, outer box, extra links and pins, owner's manual and warranty card. I should have went along with the Scammer as they stated they wanted to pay via PayPal and once they had my' email address (PayPal User ID), they would send me a fake email with all of the appearances of having come from PayPal and stating that I received a payment. Well, I did not fall off the Turnip Truck yesterday and this has happened before, so I always log into my' PayPal Account and check and also call PayPal to check. I then forward everything from the Scammer and my replies to the FBI and when it warrants, the Postmaster General. My efforts has put one Scammer away in Federal Prison and the last time I heard from the FBI, they were hot on the trail of another Scammer.

Can anyone suggest another market venue to sell such items that doesn't have a lot problems and problem Buyers? I have sold a few items via some Facebook Groups for selling, buying and trading but Facebook recently did a wholesale delete of many Groups that I belonged to.

Frank

Phone apps offerup, letgo, and 5miles. Don't be alarmed - there are still loads of flakes, they have just changed platforms, but at least you can see a persons feedback score on these apps unlike craigslist.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
As you all know the selling rules changed for the worst this month. As a matter of fact i am at a point that i am wondering if it is worth it now. They keep raising fees and that is bad enough.

I just had my first 2 returns that i have had in almost 10 years. Both returns were the same too. I had sold 2 dolls to 2 different people. both filed a return for " missing parts " and asked for a refund. My wife and i both inspect all items as they are being packed because i lost a bunch of money years ago when i shipped out an item that was shipped to the wrong person as i had sold 40 + items that day. I learned my lesson. We check everything.

Anyway , one claimed a bootie was missing , the other claimed a bonnet was missing. They funny thing was , as we were packing the african doll with the bonnet we decided to check the back of the head to see if we could find any ID marks and noticed that the bonnet was tied so tight and in a knot that it wouldn't move at all. That's when we realized that this doll had 4 heads which had different facial expressions so you could make it smile , or frown , or sleep just by turning the head to a different side. So now they claimed the bonnet was missing.

So i see ebay says that because somebody claims an item is missing they get a refund. If they want a refund then i want the item back. You don't get to keep the item and also get your money back. NOW , ebay states that if they return the item i am charged the return postage as well EVEN THOUGH the listing stated the standard " 14 days , buyer pays return shipping " Just a matter of time til ebay has a million buyers and no sellers.

You have started a whirlwind of bad information and "hysteria" with this post.

You assume much while providing little to no proof to back up what you are saying.

You claim ebay's rules changed this month. You provide no factual statement to support this other than stating that the rules changed. How did they change? According to what?

You claim "So i see ebay says that because somebody claims an item is missing they get a refund". You did not actually state that you have to give a refund without receiving your item back. What are you basing this on? I am fairly sure that this is untrue. You will get your item back - that is how it has always worked. Even in extreme cases, the buyer may be permitted to keep the item but in that case ebay/paypal will provide the refund, not the seller! The only time you will be forced to provide a refund where the buyer may keep the item is if you, as a seller, failed to follow the process as mandated in the buyer protection process. In a case like that, you are considered noncompliant and ebay will essentially treat the situation as though you scammed the buyer. If you follow the process accordingly, this should never happen!

Remember, if a buyer claims "not as described", then it is NOT the same as a return. Thus, it makes no difference what your return policy is. In this case, ebay's buyer protection kicks in, which might require you to refund the buyer for their shipping both ways.

SHAME on anyone in this thread who encouraged this. Not only are there a ton of holes in the OP's story, but why would you just blindly follow what someone is telling you without knowing the facts?

I am NOT suggesting that the OP is a liar. I am not suggesting that the OP made this up. I am saying that what the OP is saying is missing a lot of information and is absolutely making assumptions based on NOTHING. His story does not match up with what I know to be factual about selling on ebay.

References: http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/money-back-guarantee.html
http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/money-back-guarantee.html

Last edited:

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
There are people that game the system. That's a fact. There's a system in place to protect the buyer & the seller. That's a fact. The system does seem to be slightly skewed towards the buyer. That's my opinion. I've been selling on eBay for a few years now & have had a couple small issues with buyers. If it looks like there is a problem and/or the buyer is acting funky I apologize to them for whatever the issue is & tell them to open a case through the system. Then I let the system do it's job. I've had 3 people in the last couple years that I thought may be trying to game the system. One went away when I told them to open a case through the system. The other 2 opened a case. No idea if they were covered under the buyers guarantee but eBay closed the cases & I kept the money.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Somebody here owns stock in ebay I see !

OP
OP
oredigger62

oredigger62

Jun 12, 2013
Austinville Va.
Detector(s) used
Fisher goldbug 2
Garrett infinium
garrett AT-MAX
Garrett sea hunter mark 2
Fisher gemini 3 ( two box )
Equinox 800
Nokta Simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well mister ben , starting to sound like you are one of those. .. getting all offended when a buyer is called out.

eBay
RE: GS=CU1193 | Escalating claim to CS, I received an item that is not as described [#US $US 100771T A9 SR# 1-108063311886

Hello Lewis,

Thank you for contacting eBay Customer Service regarding the doll (item 332********3) you sold to “mo*******i”. I’m sorry to hear that you still haven’t received the item. I know it can be frustrating since you’ve done everything in order for this transaction to go smoothly, so rest assured that I'm genuinely interested in providing you a satisfactory resolution.

Before I proceed, I would like to thank you for staying with us and choosing eBay as your online marketplace of choice as I know how challenging it is to be a seller. While I know that this particular transaction has been a discouraging experience on your part, I can assure you that situations like these are very few and far between on eBay.

After carefully reviewing the case, we have decided to have your buyer return the item back within the next 9 days via tracked service to allow us to monitor the item's delivery to your registered return address. Please understand that since eBay is an online marketplace, we do not have any means to inspect the items physically. We believe that the best option that we have is to have the item returned to you so that you can inspect it upon receiving it back before issuing a full refund.

We understand that this is not your fault, but things like this happen, that’s why we have given enough time for buyer to do the action before we could decide on the case. Rest assured that after the given timeframe, we’ll review the case again based on any information available.

In the event that the buyer failed to return the item to you, we will not hesitate to close the case without refund to buyer and release the money back to your PayPal account.

I trust that I have explained things clearly and made this decision in good faith for we value the essence of fair judgment. We wish you all the best in your future eBay trading.

Kind regards,

Rayand L.

eBay Customer Service

OP
OP
oredigger62

oredigger62

Jun 12, 2013
Austinville Va.
Detector(s) used
Fisher goldbug 2
Garrett infinium
garrett AT-MAX
Equinox 800
Nokta Simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Ben , no offense to you... as your opinions are as welcome as the next. Try this some time. Go to walmart and buy a crockpot or something. next day go in and tell them you want your money back and that you want to keep the item. See how that works out for you. In our society today MOST people will certainly take something for free if the option is available. The more a website ( in this case ebay ) allows this to happen the more it WILL happen.

In this case ebay has told her to return the black babydoll ! Ebay has forced her hand. In a nutshell she was told that if she wants her refund she needs to return the black doll in the condition it was in... with tracking. Poke a hole in that. 002.JPG

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 85
Last edited:

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Ben , no offense to you... as your opinions are as welcome as the next. Try this some time. Go to walmart and buy a crockpot or something. next day go in and tell them you want your money back and that you want to keep the item. See how that works out for you. In our society today MOST people will certainly take something for free if the option is available. The more a website ( in this case ebay ) allows this to happen the more it WILL happen.

In this case ebay has told her to return the black babydoll ! Ebay has forced her hand. In a nutshell she was told that if she wants her refund she needs to return the black doll in the condition it was in... with tracking. Poke a hole in that.

WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? You are literally contradicting yourself in the same paragraph.

"The more a website ( in this case ebay ) allows this to happen the more it WILL happen."
"In this case ebay has told her to return the black babydoll ! Ebay has forced her hand. In a nutshell she was told that if she wants her refund she needs to return the black doll in the condition it was in... with tracking."

So, yes, you will get your item back before you have to give the buyer a refund... Which is exactly how I explained it works on ebay.

You are the one who is confused, not me. At this point you have all of the information you could possibly need to understand how this works. If you choose not to "understand" it then that is your problem. I for one, have no more time to dedicate to this nonsense. Have a good one.

OP
OP
oredigger62

oredigger62

Jun 12, 2013
Austinville Va.
Detector(s) used
Fisher goldbug 2
Garrett infinium
garrett AT-MAX
Equinox 800
Nokta Simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? You are literally contradicting yourself in the same paragraph.

So, yes, you will get your item back before you have to give the buyer a refund... Which is exactly how I explained it works on ebay.

You are the one who is confused, not me. At this point you have all of the information you could possibly need to understand how this works. If you choose not to "understand" it then that is your problem. I for one, have no more time to dedicate to this nonsense. Have a good one.
Do you even read what you post ? it was stated many posts ago that she wanted to keep the doll and get her money back too. Even a 10 year old can understand that !

pretty simple actually.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
That's just funny. Three pages filled with bogus information & ranting about eBay always siding with the buyer followed up by the buyer being required to return if they want a refund. Not to mention all the time & effort involved with going back & forth with the buyer, sending daily emails, etc. for a $4.99 sale.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't feel that this was bogus information, so why don't folks stop eluding to oredigger62 being a liar??!! He stated that the lady apparently wanted to keep the doll and wanted a refund and possibly the bonnet as well, if oredigger62 could find it. Only after oregigger62 raised mortal hell with eBay did they relent and instruct the lady to return the doll if she wanted a refund and oredigger62 was/is not obligated to refund her money unless she returns the doll and he physically has the doll. Also, I believe that this information was enlightening to all those that have or are considering selling on eBay! Don't even get me started as to why eBay is allowed to charge Sellers a fee on Shipping Costs which takes even more money out of a Seller's pocket and profits!

Frank

Last edited:

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I don't feel that this was bogus information, so why don't folks stop eluding to oredigger62 being a liar??!! He stated that the lady apparently wanted to keep the doll and wanted a refund

If I believe someone is a liar I say so. The bogus information I'm referring to is everything else in this thread that's not factual. In the original post oredigger62 said exactly what you claim. Of course he also said that "ebay says that because somebody claims an item is missing they get a refund". That was the start of the bogus information followed by such gems as "per new ebay rules a $4.99 sale is going to cost me either $18.99 and she gets a free doll or $32.99 and she doesn't get to keep the doll" and "not to mention the hit on my seller rating for a return". Neither of those statements are true. There hasn't been a "hit" on seller ratings for a return for at least a year. Under current eBay policy the buyer MUST return the item to get a refund unless the seller agrees otherwise. He started out with "As you all know the selling rules changed for the worst this month." The fact is eBay updated their selling policies recently & some of the changes suck especially if you are a TRS......the problem is none of the updates have anything to do with returns which is what this thread is about.

The whole thing was pointless from the word go. Once the buyer opened a claim there was absolutely no reason to message them. The only response needed is to say "return for refund" through the eBay system. Once the appropriate amount of time goes by eBay will direct the buyer to return the item. It doesn't matter that he "
raised mortal hell with eBay". The end result is exactly what would have happened if he had done nothing more than stated "return for refund".

OP
OP
oredigger62

oredigger62

Jun 12, 2013
Austinville Va.
Detector(s) used
Fisher goldbug 2
Garrett infinium
garrett AT-MAX
Equinox 800
Nokta Simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[

The whole thing was pointless from the word go. Once the buyer opened a claim there was absolutely no reason to message them. The only response needed is to say "return for refund" through the eBay system. Once the appropriate amount of time goes by eBay will direct the buyer to return the item. It doesn't matter that he "[/COLOR]raised mortal hell with eBay". The end result is exactly what would have happened if he had done nothing more than stated "return for refund". [/QUOTE]

As per ebay policy any issues are supposed to " attempt to work it out between buyer and seller" so how are you supposed to do that ? well through the ebay email system of course. 002.JPG 006.JPG . As for your other info. As a matter of fact ebay now allows sellers to issue refunds without getting the item back after a claim is filed. Also , as stated in ebays own language " returns are not needed in some cases "...

I found it funny that when i opened a "claim " if you want to call it that , when i asked ebay to step in ... she closed her case. NO RETURN , nothing. just up and closed her case , releasing my money back to me. I am pretty sure she was just hoping i would say " no problem , here's your money back and keep the doll ... no sense sending it back. When i opened the claim she folded .

So now for those on BOTH sides of this thread i hope we can put it to bed.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
Interesting how you somehow feel vindicated because the eBay system worked......exactly like jerseyben & myself have been saying all along.

As for your other info. As a matter of fact ebay now allows sellers to issue refunds without getting the item back after a claim is filed. Also , as stated in ebays own language " returns are not needed in some cases "...

Really??? Exactly what is this statement supposed to prove. You might want to re-read the last 5 words of this sentence.

Under current eBay policy the buyer MUST return the item to get a refund unless the seller agrees otherwise.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found it funny that when i opened a "claim " if you want to call it that , when i asked ebay to step in ... she closed her case. NO RETURN , nothing. just up and closed her case

Maybe she has a habit of doing this and didn't want any more marks on her account.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
As I've indicated before, video the item, from every perspective, showing what is included in the listing and how it works including packaging it up and weighing it boxed on a scale with a mark that can easily be id'd. THEN one has recourse.
After all that (whew) if it doesn't work out, then can ebay as a reliable selling platform.
ebay equates to stress selling. Garage sales are immediate and inherently have less stress associated with selling.
IMHO as always...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions