Can not recommend Ebay to others.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im putting a small shop together for a project Im working on and need a certain set of tools.

Friday I made a few purchases, and found myself on ebay buying a few items also. Now all the items have shipped or arrived, even with the holiday but one.

I get a email today the item is scheduled to be picked up. Supposed to be here by the3rd. Wont happen but thats not my beef.

I try to contact ebay about slow shipping and get sent to the ebay community page. So I post about what constitutes slow shipping. I got my butt handed to me. Not one positive or helpful comment. The folks acted like I was the bad guy for buying something then asking a question.

I have never had any issues with other sights. Still waiting for the seller to respond. He was the first person I tried t contact. I dont want a refund, I dont want free stuff. I just wanted a answer.

With ebay the seller has 30 days to ship. You have to wait 60 days before you can file a issue. Good Bye ebay.

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think ebay is still a great place for buyers, not so much sellers. How was the guys feedback? Luckily I have never had a shipping issue on ebay, usually whatever I order is out the door the same or next business day. Hope you get it resolved quickly though.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Im putting a small shop together for a project Im working on and need a certain set of tools.

Friday I made a few purchases, and found myself on ebay buying a few items also. Now all the items have shipped or arrived, even with the holiday but one.

I get a email today the item is scheduled to be picked up. Supposed to be here by the3rd. Wont happen but thats not my beef.

I try to contact ebay about slow shipping and get sent to the ebay community page. So I post about what constitutes slow shipping. I got my butt handed to me. Not one positive or helpful comment. The folks acted like I was the bad guy for buying something then asking a question.

I have never had any issues with other sights. Still waiting for the seller to respond. He was the first person I tried t contact. I dont want a refund, I dont want free stuff. I just wanted a answer.

With ebay the seller has 30 days to ship. You have to wait 60 days before you can file a issue. Good Bye ebay.

What exactly is your question? The process for using ebay is pretty clearly spelled out. There is no reason you should not be able to get an answer.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have NEVER had to wait 60 days before filing a case. There is an estimated delivery date. If that date has passed, you open a request and the buyer has 3 days to respond.
request2.jpg

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Warts and all, eBay still works pretty well for me, both as a buyer and a seller.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
With ebay the seller has 30 days to ship. You have to wait 60 days before you can file a issue. Good Bye ebay

That's not even remotely true. IF the seller doesn't get the item to you by the expected delivery date THEN you have up to 30 days to file a claim. Whether you wait that long or file immediately is up to you.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ebay is fine as long as you know what you're doing and use some common sense. Especially when it comes to buying. It's the sellers that need to watch their backsides more so than the buyers.

OP
OP
Rawhide

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All very confusing. Used to be a guarantee. The seller sent a nice message. Said its on its way. I was more making a statement than asking a question. The ebay community just had no real good advice. I feel really bad for the sellers at this point. If all questions are handled like this in ebay community, it will be sending folks to other sites. I just need some new tools and coins. May just stick with the other sites for now.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ebay community just had no real good advice.

That is just it a "community" It is somewhat a chat group, just like this. Even here I always see a few folks always putting in their 2 cents when they are not needed. Some try and rile things up. Maybe that particular type of person got on your case.

I have never heard that the seller has 30 days to ship. I tell my buyers (in every auction) 3 business days. ebay will hold me to that too. If I do not actually click on "shipped" within those 3 days I get dinged with something, I don't know what but I get dinged. Every seller has to give the amount of days they plan to take to get it out the door.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
That is just it a "community" It is somewhat a chat group, just like this. Even here I always see a few folks always putting in their 2 cents when they are not needed. Some try and rile things up. Maybe that particular type of person got on your case.

That's the problem. When I want to know something about the rules/policies of a business entity I get it direct from the source rather than second hand from a community.

Paleo_joe

Mar 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, those ebay forums ARE exceptionally bad. What kind of person hangs out on an ebay forum lol?

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
That's the problem. When I want to know something about the rules/policies of a business entity I get it direct from the source rather than second hand from a community.

Not to get political but this is precisely why we are in such a pickle right now with fake news, etc... People get their "news" from fb posts, twitter, and other completely horrendous and illegitimate sources.

mjlalt

Jul 18, 2012
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The default handling time for ebay is 2 days ( Sellers can change it )
Handling time is measured by business days. Weekends and holidays aren't counted.

Sounds like the seller met his/her obligation and as long as the shipping service does its job you should have your item by the estimated delivery date of June 3rd.

It's pretty obvious you don't like ebay.

I just hope you don't take it out on the seller.

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had shipping issues on ebay and other sites and understand the frustration of not being able to get to someone at the actual site/company to complain. I had shipment issues in the past on ebay that I contacted some sellers who were helpful and some that said they would check into it or help and never did. There are the rating issues to help take care of them plus no further orders, etc. But not being able to change shipping methods sometimes or contact an actual eBay customer support person bites. I have never tried the "community" and doubt I ever will. But even with what you have had happen, don't discount eBay just because of that but as others have noted, there are options and it overall is a decent place to buy. Note that my last package, Lightly Used Vulcan 360 pinpointer, shipped quickly, tracked right to the post office, out for delivery and then for four days, "waiting for update". It seems that the Post Office either misplaced it or mis-delivered it and had to find and deliver it and I could not get an answer. I have tried checking before and get the automated systems and it stinks, just didn't want to go down to the main office to have them search but then it finally showed up deliver today and did. If UPS was and option, might have tried that but they may have lost it or crushed the box. No easy answer except what you feel is best for you and works to keep you moving along. Good luck on your project!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had shipping issues on ebay and other sites and understand the frustration of not being able to get to someone at the actual site/company to complain. I had shipment issues in the past on ebay that I contacted some sellers who were helpful and some that said they would check into it or help and never did. There are the rating issues to help take care of them plus no further orders, etc. But not being able to change shipping methods sometimes or contact an actual eBay customer support person bites. I have never tried the "community" and doubt I ever will. But even with what you have had happen, don't discount eBay just because of that but as others have noted, there are options and it overall is a decent place to buy. Note that my last package, Lightly Used Vulcan 360 pinpointer, shipped quickly, tracked right to the post office, out for delivery and then for four days, "waiting for update". It seems that the Post Office either misplaced it or mis-delivered it and had to find and deliver it and I could not get an answer. I have tried checking before and get the automated systems and it stinks, just didn't want to go down to the main office to have them search but then it finally showed up deliver today and did. If UPS was and option, might have tried that but they may have lost it or crushed the box. No easy answer except what you feel is best for you and works to keep you moving along. Good luck on your project!
Yes, I find that many shipping related "problems" are the fault of the USPS. Not that I've had any problems lately with Ebay, I did have a birthday card disappear recently however. It only traveled a distance of 45 miles, yet it mysteriously went missing, along with the $100 gift card to Outdoor World that was inside.

Last edited:

The_Piratess

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2017
Ghost Ship
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter ID, so far...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, those ebay forums ARE exceptionally bad. What kind of person hangs out on an ebay forum lol?

I've been a member of eBay for years and I didn't even know that they had a forum? Lol!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been a member of eBay for years and I didn't even know that they had a forum? Lol!
LOL, You aren't missing anything!. The information on this forum is more accurate that some of the crap I've read over the years on the ebay forum while researching.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Some of the forums I like are for automotive repairs and seems like I get to the bottom of things quickly. Those forums have saved me money by knowing the problem and how it needs to be repaired.
If it's treasure related stuff, this is the best forum for that.
Selling or buying you can't beat becoming a Charter Member.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions