Well I've posted some good ebay buys, this one may be embarrassingly bad.

OP
OP
I

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alright - so! Let me start off by saying I received the lot today. Going by the pictures and what they claimed each metal was, I would have spent about spot price or less on this lot. Note that I said "what they claimed" and "would have". The broken ring weighs 4 grams (I expected it to be smaller, more dainty), which is double what I accounted the gold to weigh total by itself - the other "gold" combined weighs 3 grams. The total "silver" weighs over 160-170 grams. So by eyeballing, I was justified in purchasing this even based off of scrap (let alone resale value). Adds a bit back to my confidence that I wasn't crazy as I thought for taking a shot.

Now for the bad news. Well as I said above - that was assuming everything that they claimed was silver was silver, and gold was gold. Turns out that isn't exactly the case. In the gold photo - the first one - there is a small ball stud earring behind the ring - didn't know a piece this small could hit a magnet so hard. The ring? When turned to the reverse you can see where the plated layer remains and where the edges are discolored. Green bubbly acid on the edges. As for the "silver"... the thick bangle bracelet is an unknown so far. The thin bangle around the rings is clearly magnetic and unmarked, the camera charm on the chain (not the chain) is costume. The tiger's eye bracelet isn't even gold-filled, let alone vermeil - costume. But the most crushing error is that the belt buckle - which was to be most likely the most valuable piece is marked NICKEL SILVER. For those who don't know, this is another phrase for junk. All of the rings check out as well as the rest of the bracelets and most of the earrings.

Where this leaves me now is a renegotiation with the seller. I've initiated contact and have let him know of the pending situation and that I'd get back with the results of the remaining unknown pieces. They said they'd "be willing to work with a little". Given that a few of the "nicer" pieces that I was really relying on being genuine are not.. hopefully they'd work with me more than a little. If not, a return is inevitable. Hopefully with the education I provide they'll understand more so the value of what they have going forward.

OP
OP
I

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alright so here's where I'm at so far.. I sent the seller a few one of a kind original pieces of art.. being me using my expert paint skills to point out the flaws in his listing. Looks like this:
View attachment 1462348
View attachment 1462350

I know what you're thinking.. Insontis, if you had signed those they'd be worth thousands! But alas, he didn't quite earn that.

So after maxing out multiple eBay messages explaining what was represented, what was desired, what was actually received, and how I know what it is that was actually received, I have been met with an offer. In a nut shell, I explained that I had offered $50 before he had separated out and photographed any metal specifically (and assumed there was little, but still some of each mentioned). I then upped my offer to $150 once he had shown each the gold and silver by themselves. His offer to me was $50 back, which I think was based largely on that statement. I'm not out to get something for nothing, but as I mentioned to him OVER HALF (via weight, maybe pieces/hadn't counted them) of what was claimed to be real was fake in both gold and silver. I essentially added $100 to my offer for that which was said to be gold and silver, so I should receive OVER HALF of that $100 back. I'm thinking $60 return is fair to both of us. Still more than I would have paid if I had known then what I know now, but I'm trying to be fair to him as well.

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it were me, I'd just file a SNAD return claim and be done with it. Wouldn't even message the seller directly any further. Very likely that eBay will be on your side as the buyer. Best of luck.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How does it go? F me once shame on you, F me twice, shame on me.
When I look at your photos, years of yard sale tables pass though my memory banks and the tally ticker says junk junk junk maybe. It does that because I have invested 40 years of training my brain by going over thousands of tables at yard sales. Today, I can spot a quality watch or a piece of gold jewelry while Im walking up the driveway. To cut it short. You have just paid for an education. Inspect every piece and learn from it. You paid for it :) Also understand that the person selling on eBay is just like you. As a rule they have bought this at yard sales and are looking to turn it for a profit. It has already been picked over before it is listed. Also understand that you are not the only picker on eBay. Thousands of treasure seekers are pouring over the listings just like you are. Unless the stars align and you catch a mistake minutes after you see it listed. chances are you have no good deal. I never buy resell items on eBay, I do use it extensively to make money. ( I have 2 full time employees that do nothing but list and sell on eBay) Find multiple day estate sales. Show up early the first day and cherry pick, show up the afternoon of the last day and bulk buy the rest for peanuts. Then list it on eBay :) You will do far better this way. Trust me

If I only had the patience. lol

OP
OP
I

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seller reluctantly agreed to $55 partial refund.. wanted to give me $50 and wouldn't agree to $60. So I'm in it for under $100. About $45 in silver melt, $35 in gold, $20+ for the rest seems fair.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...Until I bought an Antique Store Then everything was about what I pay vs what its worth and need to pay the rent. It ruined them for me.

By your t-net name, your location and you saying you had two employees who do ebay I suspected you owned a Junk King in south Orange county. I knew the owners in north orange county.

OP
OP
I

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So a little bit of an update with this. After the refund I was into it for $98.72, which despite the refund being fair based on metal content, the resale value really wasn't compensated for (not that they were selling this for me to resell, but a few of the best items for resale are virtually worthless being not silver).

So anyway of that $98.72, I was just able to sell the bulk of the costume junk jewelry for $32 locally, which leaves me with $66.72 to make up for before I can start thinking about profit. Starting to list the items on eBay now so hopefully I'll get a couple bids thrown at me!

OP
OP
I

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just as a bit of an update I ended up selling the small gold pendant for $15 and the blue lapis necklace for $20 both locally... down to $31.72 to make up for before I roll any profit. Haven't messed with the watches at all yet. I think another two decent items (not that there are any great items here) and I should get back to even with quite a bit in reserve.

OP
OP
I

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sold the costume cuff bracelet for $8 and the horse earrings for $20.... just $3.72 in the hole with quite a bit of sterling items left and some gold left as well (pearl pendant, stud earrings, a dainty scrap hoop). Everything that I've sold so far has been locally, which I really prefer. I don't incur and fees and I have no other expenses - I even have them come to pick items up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread