Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was on my way home from work , I didn't think I would make it to my Post Office before they closed . So , I stopped at a little P . O . in Round Pound . There were no cars , in the lot , I wasn't even sure if they were open .
I went in , The Post Master was there , Gus , He looked like Albert Einstein . I handed him my package - he asked '' Is there any thing liquid , fragile , perishable , and all that crap ? I said '' no '' He started typing on his little machine - the one finger style . He said ''we have this thing called Priority , It's a faster way to get there '' I said '' yes , I've heard of it , how much '' He said '' this will take a minuet or two ''

He typed away and said $12.75 - I said OK ............ He then said '' I can't give you a receipt , but here is your tracking number , it's a peal and stick , so you can put on you fridge , so you don't loose it '' Then he reached under the counter and handed me some hershey's kisses .

I told him that I go to a lot of Post offices , but this one is kind of old fashioned . He said '' Yes , we have the latest technology from the 1980's , and if you need a Money Order , I get the machine out of the closet - I type the stuff in and then I pull the crank "
It was a wonderful experience .

Attachments

• PDR_5771.JPG
    PDR_5771.JPG
    133.9 KB · Views: 128
  • PDR_5772.JPG
    PDR_5772.JPG
    97 KB · Views: 102

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Now that's a riot! I HATE the waldoboro post office. Never been to the round pond one though. My favorite so far is warren

Sent from a spun out toilet paper tube (one ply)!!!

OP
OP
mojjax

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Believe it or not I found a small out of the way Post Office here in SoCal where they're kind, polite and don't mind giving you a receipt for your online purchased shipping label. At our Main P.O. I was told that they didn't want to waste their time.

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did the post master look like this? If so you crossed over to the Twilight Zone.
th

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Down here this is an old fashioned Post Office...

o.jpg

Dania Beach Fl. Post Office still has brass post office boxes and real wood trim. That was like a small time capsule for me the first time I walked in it. Only from the 1950's though.

OP
OP
mojjax

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dig - do they still put up Wanted Posters ?

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I live in a small "town within a town" here in the woods of Southern NJ. My local PO is actually just a satellite office but it is the same way you described your PO above.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
mojjax,
I know what you mean.
Recently I had to explain to my grandson the meaning of "Please roll up your (back seat car) window". He had no idea how to 'roll up' an automatic window.
Lucky for me, a couple of days later I rented a new car with roll up windows--so he could see what I was talking about. Admittedly, I didn't know cars were still made with roll up windows.
Don....

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Believe it or not I found a small out of the way Post Office here in SoCal where they're kind, polite and don't mind giving you a receipt for your online purchased shipping label.

SoCA? That wouldn't by chance be Atwood PO?

Atwood is the best PO I have been to. It was my business PO box where I was able to just use the street address of the PO. The city of Atwood is so small my GPS can not find it. There is no population, no police and no mayor. Just PO, Mex restaurant, liquor store and an office. Whenever I went in everybody (all three tellers, and even a Gus) would greet me by name.

Talk about receipts. I once left mine on the countertop and as I was getting in my car I heard my name being called out. The teller came out, into the parking lot, to give me my receipt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread