PSA Don't use Fedex smartpost or at least know the risks.

2ndisbest

Nov 6, 2009
I use fedex smartpost from time to time. Going into it I knew of its problems, so I tried to mitigate them to only shipping stuff I deemed unbreakable. Well, they can break anything. I think they try to actually. And I think they steal packages too.

Smartpost has a $100 claim limit, but there is so many loopholes in it you will never get it. Basic story is they only reimburse you if they damage it, and guess what, the post office damages everything all the time 100% without fail, fedex has never damaged a smartpost package ever.

I sold a coffee pot made of chrome, but somehow they managed to crack the plastic base of the coffee pot. I am sure the pot still works 100% but a cracked base is not what the customer ordered.

I did some quick reading up to see if it would be worth my time to file a claim but it isn't. Pure run around stories and at the very least the package wasn't damaged when they gave it to the post office so you don't get any money. Also many people claiming packages never get delivered, which makes sense because if the employees know they will never even see a claim on the package why not just steal it? Fedex won't investigate package theft if they are not out money. Almost like a license to steal if you are a fedex employee and want some free stuffs.

I have sold items and shipped them using smartpost in the past knowing the risks, so I can't say as I didn't see this coming, but to those who don't know, you might think twice about trying to save a few bucks shipping.

That is all happy hunting.

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't use FedEx anymore after they delivered a brand new laptop I ordered to "Jimmy" at my house while I was home. I'm pretty sure a Jimmy doesn't live here, and I was home all day when they said they delivered it - doorbell never rang and nobody ever came by. Snakes...

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
When I use FedEx, Home Delivery is always cheaper and faster than SmartPost. I did recently ship off a chair and it broke through the box and was damaged. The buyer sent me pic and only asked for half her money back. I filed a claim and FedEx sent me a check for the value and shipping...$120 . I sent the buyer $80 and she was very happy. But I will say, the USPS has only broken 1 or 2 items of the 1000+ items I have shipped. I absolutely love the USPS. They have been good to me. And I have one close that is open 7 days a week!

skipper1

Greenie
Jul 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I use FedEx, Home Delivery is always cheaper and faster than SmartPost. I did recently ship off a chair and it broke through the box and was damaged. The buyer sent me pic and only asked for half her money back. I filed a claim and FedEx sent me a check for the value and shipping...$120 . I sent the buyer $80 and she was very happy. But I will say, the USPS has only broken 1 or 2 items of the 1000+ items I have shipped. I absolutely love the USPS. They have been good to me. And I have one close that is open 7 days a week!

I agree, USPS is America's best kept secret. They just have an image problem and need to repaint the walls.

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
If a USPS package has delivery conformation and it gets scanned at delivery, the longitude and latitude are logged. It can tell you within a few feet of where it was scanned. Not exact but enough to show it was delivered to 900 South Main St. instead of 800 South Main St. The package is scanned when it comes in to the Office and if the carrier doesn't get the assigned packages scanned the Supervisor will want to know why. USPS is not perfect but they are getting pretty good at package delivery, at least where I work. And thanks for the business.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last few packages have had problems. Was told packages needed to be repacked by service due to a accident. They sure have a lot of accidents. I dont shop by mail anymore.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I shipped some circuit boards for gold recycling to a guy back east via USPS PRIORITY Mail. He got the box, opened it and immediately filed a claim as not what he ordered. I asked why. Because there was a gun in the box.

I issued a pick up and sure enough there was a gun. Not complete but still it was not something I put in the box.
After looking at the returned carton I think it burst open at postal hub and at the same time another box burst open. The postal employee, using his brain, put the gun in with my circuit boards. I do not know what he did with the boards that would not not fit in the box because I was shorted on the boards.

I issued a full refund, kept the gun and then resold the boards again on ebay for more money.

Attachments

• gun-1.jpg
    gun-1.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 85

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Paleo Joe is right Smart post is FedEx using the postal service to deliver packages using the USPS. It is the CHEAPEST way to send packages, You get what you pay for. It is unfortunate, but the more you pay, the more "security" your package has.

Last edited:

What Me Worry?

Jun 23, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We use Smartpost at work. The only time we do is when FDX is not able to or won't ship to certain areas, mostly remote. Are you saying you use Smartpost only because it's cheaper?

OP
OP

2ndisbest

Nov 6, 2009
We use Smartpost at work. The only time we do is when FDX is not able to or won't ship to certain areas, mostly remote. Are you saying you use Smartpost only because it's cheaper?

In some instances it will save $10-$15 on a package. If it only saves a buck or two or I feel the item can be damaged I wont use smartpost. I didn't think they could break a chrome coffee pot but they did.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread