diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You talking about the general layout of the page being similar to Amazon? Just noticed it too, went looking after reading your post.

OP
OP
Beans

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You talking about the general layout of the page being similar to Amazon? Just noticed it too, went looking after reading your post.

Yes.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heck even Walmart put aside building new outlets in order to be more like Amazon. It is the way of our modern times. There's a package just about every other day of the week on my door step with stuff my wife buys from either eBay or Amazon. One thing I've noticed is the role of man's best friend the dog has remained unchanged in the last 10s of thousands of years. Instead of warning of danger outside of the light of the campfire, he warns man of a UPS man being on the door step.

Last edited:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heck even Walmart put aside building new outlets in order to be more like Amazon. It is the way of our modern times. There's a package just about every other day of the week on my door step with stuff my wife buys from either eBay or Amazon. One thing I've noticed is the role of man's best friend the dog has remained unchanged in the last 10s of thousands of years. Instead of warning of danger outside of the light of the campfire, he warns man of a UPS man being on the door step.
I've ordered a few things from Walmart online in the last few months. Free shipping over $35 or something like that. I'm actually waiting on a fake Christmas tree now for the shop that I ordered. I haven't found Amazon to be less expensive yet, so on certain items, I'll do Walmart. A dollar saved is a dollar earned.

CladSpends2

Jan 11, 2010
Wilton, Maine
Detector(s) used
White's M6
I've ordered a few things from Walmart online in the last few months. Free shipping over $35 or something like that. I'm actually waiting on a fake Christmas tree now for the shop that I ordered. I haven't found Amazon to be less expensive yet, so on certain items, I'll do Walmart. A dollar saved is a dollar earned.

I guess that would reflect inflation since Ben Franklin's/Poor Richard's time. ;-)

T.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How funny. I was out all day last Monday and when I got home that evening I see this latest Amazon purchase mama got delivered that day. She'd already had out of the box and assembled when I walked in the door. Not only is it a fake tree, it's a fake tree with fake snow and fake ice crystals on it.

Attachments

• IMG_20171118_051052989.jpg
    IMG_20171118_051052989.jpg
    947.7 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't found Amazon to be less expensive yet, so on certain items, I'll do Walmart. A dollar saved is a dollar earned.
You just might soon. ABC news said walmart.com is raising prices on many items so the items are cheaper in the store. I guess the head counts in the store were going down.

When i buy at dot com they ask for me to do a survey. one of the questions is "did you buy other items in the store when you came to pick up your order" I always say NO. I wonder if they thought if they gave free shipping if you pickup in store you would also buy something there too. Maybe the plan backfired.

Also, I remember seeing ads saying order online, pickup in the store and get a discount. I wonder if that was discontinued also. Haven't seen mention of it lately.

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
I like amazon the best for selling. I sell the same item I don't physically have and they print, package and ship it. I only had to list the item one time after creating it and uploading it. Royalities add up.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like amazon the best for selling. I sell the same item I don't physically have and they print, package and ship it. I only had to list the item one time after creating it and uploading it. Royalities add up.

I thought for amazon to sell your products and ship from their warehouse you had to physically buy the product, ship it to the warehouse and then pay a storage fee before they can ship.

What do you mean royalties?

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
I think you refer to them selling use books for a person. Royalities I refer to are from books we write and self published on create space (Amazon) and Kindle versions. Once were happy with our proof copies, the final version is uploaded. Once someone orders a copy, Amazon prints, packages and ships it. No post office runs which is nice. Some books I can get $5-7 for each sale. Best part is print on demand, somewhere places order, I punch it in, change shipping address, hit credit card, Amazon does rest. I send invoice in the mail, and check mail for checks.

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
I use to do the eBay thing years ago, heard it changed alot. I still got stuff I buy for a few bucks cause I know it is a fifty dollar bill all day long. I pulled all used books off Amazon because running to post office to get in line took time away from creating more product. Just today I got another proof copy in the mail to read 500 plus pages!

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I think you refer to them selling use books for a person. Royalities I refer to are from books we write and self published on create space (Amazon) and Kindle versions. Once were happy with our proof copies, the final version is uploaded. Once someone orders a copy, Amazon prints, packages and ships it. No post office runs which is nice. Some books I can get $5-7 for each sale. Best part is print on demand, somewhere places order, I punch it in, change shipping address, hit credit card, Amazon does rest. I send invoice in the mail, and check mail for checks.

That is very cool and congrats. However, please understand that most people who discuss ebay/amazon here are resellers. The fact that you are an author and using amazon to sell your own books is fairly unique and most of us would have no way to relate.

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
I was one of you folks and got to the point I was tired of the post office trips, packaging and everything else involved.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I happen to think it's pretty cool that Tiredman has a way to make things work for him and appreciate the sharing of information.
Kinda curious, as to what type of books Tiredman writes, novels, history, how to, fiction, just curious.....

The above is one of the reasons I shut everything down..... and numerous deaths in the family, having probate and estate dumped on me, and various other reasons.....
I can go hock wares on the beach to tourists and make more in one day, than I can all week, online.
Thanks for the sharing Tiredman, (from a tiredwoman, lol).

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can go hock wares on the beach to tourists and make more in one day, than I can all week, online.
Not a bad idea. What do you sell? In the summer months, where I live, it turns into a tourist trap town and I live a 5 minute drive from miles and miles of fantastic beaches. Your idea might work here.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a bad idea. What do you sell? In the summer months, where I live, it turns into a tourist trap town and I live a 5 minute drive from miles and miles of fantastic beaches. Your idea might work here.
I do best with my little seashell earrings I make. I also do seashell Christmas ornaments, and have a hotel that lets me sell my things outta their lobby.
You're technically NOT suppose to sell on the beach, I bring my stuff and work on them, and ppl are always stopping and oohhhing and awwwwing, they usually buy......
I get my stuff from a local seashell wholesale warehouse here......
I would think an ice slushie/favored ice business would do good where you are. Man outside an arena (overseas) used to clean up, selling nothing but flavored ice, go figure..... lol.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do best with my little seashell earrings I make.

I would think an ice slushie/favored ice business would do good where you are.

Where would I go to get ideas on seashell earrings? pinterest?

I go beachcombing where I live. I now have pounds of sea glass and agates. I think I will be making jewelry for our Farmers market (June - Oct) out of this. Right now I have local souvenirs for sale in the lighthouse and museum gift shops.

Don't know if cold things would do very well here. average summer temps are 65-66. But today my wife and I ate lunch on the patio.

NOT suppose to sell on the beach, I bring my stuff and work on them, and ppl are always stopping and oohhhing and awwwwing, they usually buy......
I get my stuff from a local seashell wholesale warehouse here......

That is a good idea, but only during the summer months. I went to the beach two days ago and for a half mile in either direction I could probably count less than 10 and that included the dogs.

I bought a small mason jar of very old tiny seashells at a swapmeet last year. Maybe I could do something with them.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cuberdan, pinterest may have some, I'm not on there. I'd say go to etsy, there are a lot of artist that make different seashell earrings and seaglass jewelry stuffs, you can come up with all kinda ideas.
I've got to think, you got to have a seashell wholesaler, somewhere over there on the left coast near you.
I get the silver plated and gold plated seashells, with a little ring already on them.
I hang them on shepherd hooks and put them in little square wedding boxes from Michaels.
Sell $10 - $15 a pair, and that's cheap......

It's also kinda a pita, doing it all, I might take a stab at writing..... :wink:
I like the idea of royalties, makes me think of dividend checks.... :laughing7:

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just started Ebay again this month. I said I was never going to do it again, but........

And Yes, There have been a lot of changes made since I used it a year ago. It took me a little time to figure it out again. I'm also seeing the ads that your talking about and I don't remember seeing them before, Or just never noticed.

Geezz!! Hope my post is ok for the post police! :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread