Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Whats hot? Whats not?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jan 2010
    DFW Texas
    Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
    2328 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

What's hot? What's not?

OK re-sellers, things have been slow lately but I've finally got rid of most of my stale inventory. Now it's time to restock - and this is where I need advice. I mostly resell vintage and antique items, oddities and collectibles. I am looking to possibly diversify a bit, but don't want to deviate too far - I don't want to sell dog sweaters and electronics. What is hot right now? What isn't moving? This doesn't have to pertain to eBay only, as a lot (most) of my sales are actually done locally as well. Thanks for any words of wisdom.

kcm
    us
    Feb 2016
    NW Minnesota
    Tesoro Silver uMax
    6544 times
    Prospecting
    Heck, I gave up tryin' to figure people out a long time ago!

Back in the 90's, I used to make high-end woodworks for craft shows. People spent more to get the thrown-together crappy-looking stuff. Go figure!
    "...I've got silver in the stars and gold in the morning sun" - Don Williams

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola
    12454 times
    Banner Finds (5)
    Boy, I ask the antique dealers that all the time and I don't think they know. All I get is a blank look.
    AlienLifeForm likes this.

us
    Jan 2010
    DFW Texas
    2328 times
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeythecat View Post
    Boy, I ask the antique dealers that all the time and I don't think they know. All I get is a blank look.
    I hate to say it but the antique market has been in a steady decline for some time. Unless it's good advertising pieces or Mid Century Modern, it's hard to move right now.
    3cylbill likes this.

us
    Apr 2014
    Midwest
    887 times
    Thrift Stores/Ebay
    Just had this discussion today with folks. Stuff you think will sell quickly(because the same item is selling for others) will sit for weeks at the same price or lower. And items that have sat for awhile will suddenly sell. Itís a gamble either way. But calculators (TI-83s, 84s, 89s) ALWAYS sell. They sell higher right before school, but they still sell year round. And broken ones sell to folks who buy them and use them for parts. Of the hundreds of items i have sold, calculators are the only thing I can guarantee myself will sell in less than five days. And that includes gold jewelry.

th
    Nov 2010
    Thailand/Europe/California
    Excalibur 2 1000
    233 times
    I had a couple Indonesian wood carvings at the local auction house, they sat there for 3 weeks, no bids, today had two bidders and they sold for a good price. All it takes is a couple buyers that are interested, and things sell. If no one is interested, nothing sells. Ive been looking for cheap items that I can sell for big money, but it hardly ever happens.

us
    Nov 2009
    1078 times
    If you deal in vintage, collectible, & antique items it doesn't make sense to look for what's "hot". You could go to 50 thrifts, estate sales, etc and never see a single "hot" item. While you're looking you will walk past tons of items that will sell within a reasonable amount of time for a reasonable profit.
    AlienLifeForm, Drmad7, RW and 1 others like this.

us
    yardgoat

May 2015
    Salmon, Idaho
    Whites XLT, MX Sport
    197 times
    Metal Detecting
    I've done well on reloading and firearm related items ( Parts and accessories) and they seem to do well all year round.
    AlienLifeForm and searching 4 like this.

us
    Jan 2010
    DFW Texas
    2328 times
    Quote Originally Posted by yardgoat View Post
    I've done well on reloading and firearm related items ( Parts and accessories) and they seem to do well all year round.
    I've done well locally with firearms related items and militaria.

us
    Jan 2010
    DFW Texas
    2328 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Drmad7 View Post
    Just had this discussion today with folks. Stuff you think will sell quickly(because the same item is selling for others) will sit for weeks at the same price or lower. And items that have sat for awhile will suddenly sell. It’s a gamble either way. But calculators (TI-83s, 84s, 89s) ALWAYS sell. They sell higher right before school, but they still sell year round. And broken ones sell to folks who buy them and use them for parts. Of the hundreds of items i have sold, calculators are the only thing I can guarantee myself will sell in less than five days. And that includes gold jewelry.
    I have sold some calculators in the past, you are right they are a good item to pick up. I'll have to start looking for them more often, its nice that they are small and easy to ship as well.

us
    Jan 2010
    DFW Texas
    2328 times
    Quote Originally Posted by trdhrdr007 View Post
    If you deal in vintage, collectible, & antique items it doesn't make sense to look for what's "hot". You could go to 50 thrifts, estate sales, etc and never see a single "hot" item. While you're looking you will walk past tons of items that will sell within a reasonable amount of time for a reasonable profit.
    These are the types of items I'm looking for, not necessarily things that will fly off the shelf - rather things that will move in a reasonable amount of time for a reasonable profit like you stated. I always try to pick up oddities and the like, but stuff has been sitting so long lately I am looking for items that I am unaware of that will sell a bit quicker. I'm still learning, but in this game I don't think one ever stops learning.

us
    yardgoat

May 2015
    Salmon, Idaho
    Whites XLT, MX Sport
    197 times
    Metal Detecting
    You can sell gun parts on ebay with the exception of receivers and anything to do with an AR or assault rifle ( never put those words in your listings) and if you have an beat up firearm, part it out you might be surprised on what the parts will bring often a whole lot more than you could get selling it as a complete gun.

us
    Can you dig it.

Dec 2016
    NH
    Equinox 600 - Garrett AT MAX & ProPointer AT------- Back Ups: AT Pro, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tesoro Mojave, Wilson C&R 4
    763 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    late 1970s thru 1980's toys, especially trucks are hot sellars right now. Those who grew up with them as a child are now of the age where they have good jobs and can afford to relive their childhood. Anything motorized toy wise/trucks is hot hot hot.

Charter Member
    us
    MDer novice, EBay seller

Mar 2017
    Western WI
    Some beginner cheap thing from Fleet Farm :(
    8 times
    My vintage books and especially the cookbooks are selling well this time of year. I put all my Hallmark ornaments and other holiday stuff on sale for 25% off and they are selling too. I get the cookbooks for $1 or less and sell anywhere from $6 for small booklet type to $40 for a highly collectible one.

us
    Jan 2010
    DFW Texas
    2328 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tammyh17 View Post
    My vintage books and especially the cookbooks are selling well this time of year. I put all my Hallmark ornaments and other holiday stuff on sale for 25% off and they are selling too. I get the cookbooks for $1 or less and sell anywhere from $6 for small booklet type to $40 for a highly collectible one.
    Awesome, this is the kind of tips I'm looking for - thank you. I love shipping books, padded mailer and media mail. Easy peasy. Will keep an eye out for cookbooks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links