AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK re-sellers, things have been slow lately but I've finally got rid of most of my stale inventory. Now it's time to restock - and this is where I need advice. I mostly resell vintage and antique items, oddities and collectibles. I am looking to possibly diversify a bit, but don't want to deviate too far - I don't want to sell dog sweaters and electronics. What is hot right now? What isn't moving? This doesn't have to pertain to eBay only, as a lot (most) of my sales are actually done locally as well. Thanks for any words of wisdom. :hello2:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Heck, I gave up tryin' to figure people out a long time ago!

Back in the 90's, I used to make high-end woodworks for craft shows. People spent more to get the thrown-together crappy-looking stuff. Go figure! :BangHead:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boy, I ask the antique dealers that all the time and I don't think they know. All I get is a blank look.

OP
OP
AlienLifeForm

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boy, I ask the antique dealers that all the time and I don't think they know. All I get is a blank look.
I hate to say it but the antique market has been in a steady decline for some time. Unless it's good advertising pieces or Mid Century Modern, it's hard to move right now. :dontknow:

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
Just had this discussion today with folks. Stuff you think will sell quickly(because the same item is selling for others) will sit for weeks at the same price or lower. And items that have sat for awhile will suddenly sell. It’s a gamble either way. But calculators (TI-83s, 84s, 89s) ALWAYS sell. They sell higher right before school, but they still sell year round. And broken ones sell to folks who buy them and use them for parts. Of the hundreds of items i have sold, calculators are the only thing I can guarantee myself will sell in less than five days. And that includes gold jewelry.

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a couple Indonesian wood carvings at the local auction house, they sat there for 3 weeks, no bids, today had two bidders and they sold for a good price. All it takes is a couple buyers that are interested, and things sell. If no one is interested, nothing sells. Ive been looking for cheap items that I can sell for big money, but it hardly ever happens.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
If you deal in vintage, collectible, & antique items it doesn't make sense to look for what's "hot". You could go to 50 thrifts, estate sales, etc and never see a single "hot" item. While you're looking you will walk past tons of items that will sell within a reasonable amount of time for a reasonable profit.

yardgoat

May 15, 2015
Salmon, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, MX Sport
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've done well on reloading and firearm related items ( Parts and accessories) and they seem to do well all year round.

OP
OP
AlienLifeForm

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've done well on reloading and firearm related items ( Parts and accessories) and they seem to do well all year round.

I've done well locally with firearms related items and militaria.

OP
OP
AlienLifeForm

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just had this discussion today with folks. Stuff you think will sell quickly(because the same item is selling for others) will sit for weeks at the same price or lower. And items that have sat for awhile will suddenly sell. It’s a gamble either way. But calculators (TI-83s, 84s, 89s) ALWAYS sell. They sell higher right before school, but they still sell year round. And broken ones sell to folks who buy them and use them for parts. Of the hundreds of items i have sold, calculators are the only thing I can guarantee myself will sell in less than five days. And that includes gold jewelry.

I have sold some calculators in the past, you are right they are a good item to pick up. I'll have to start looking for them more often, its nice that they are small and easy to ship as well.

OP
OP
AlienLifeForm

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you deal in vintage, collectible, & antique items it doesn't make sense to look for what's "hot". You could go to 50 thrifts, estate sales, etc and never see a single "hot" item. While you're looking you will walk past tons of items that will sell within a reasonable amount of time for a reasonable profit.

These are the types of items I'm looking for, not necessarily things that will fly off the shelf - rather things that will move in a reasonable amount of time for a reasonable profit like you stated. I always try to pick up oddities and the like, but stuff has been sitting so long lately I am looking for items that I am unaware of that will sell a bit quicker. I'm still learning, but in this game I don't think one ever stops learning. :happysmiley:

yardgoat

May 15, 2015
Salmon, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, MX Sport
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You can sell gun parts on ebay with the exception of receivers and anything to do with an AR or assault rifle ( never put those words in your listings) and if you have an beat up firearm, part it out you might be surprised on what the parts will bring often a whole lot more than you could get selling it as a complete gun.

SultansOfSwing

Dec 28, 2016
NH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 - & ProPointer AT-------

Back Ups: AT Pro, Tesoro Royal Sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
late 1970s thru 1980's toys, especially trucks are hot sellars right now. Those who grew up with them as a child are now of the age where they have good jobs and can afford to relive their childhood. Anything motorized toy wise/trucks is hot hot hot.

Tammyh17

Tenderfoot
Mar 13, 2017
Western WI
Detector(s) used
Some beginner cheap thing from Fleet Farm :(
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My vintage books and especially the cookbooks are selling well this time of year. I put all my Hallmark ornaments and other holiday stuff on sale for 25% off and they are selling too. I get the cookbooks for $1 or less and sell anywhere from $6 for small booklet type to $40 for a highly collectible one.

OP
OP
AlienLifeForm

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My vintage books and especially the cookbooks are selling well this time of year. I put all my Hallmark ornaments and other holiday stuff on sale for 25% off and they are selling too. I get the cookbooks for $1 or less and sell anywhere from $6 for small booklet type to $40 for a highly collectible one.
Awesome, this is the kind of tips I'm looking for - thank you. I love shipping books, padded mailer and media mail. Easy peasy. Will keep an eye out for cookbooks.

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Today I sold a few items from my booth at an antique mall. One was an old tube organ that sat and took up space for too long. So glad it sold and will never take another even if free. Better to strip the tube amp and trash the rest. You do come across pump organs for free from time to time that are easy conversion to desk and sell quickly, so might be the exception. Also sold a mantle clock and a trunk, a little over $400 profit combined with organ and a really good day considering how little time I put into it lately. Last few things I sold on eBay were all over the map. A uranium detector from early 50's sat for over 6 months then brought $350 profit. A couple military wool sweaters I paid a buck for sold for $20 profit. Waterford crystal football paperweight $100, Lord of the Rings necklace $100, Radio Shack remote phone bell ringer $50... no rhyme or reason to what we try to sell. If I could work 25% as hard for myself as I do at my real job I think I could make more money with eBay,CL, etc... just haven't took the plunge. Wouldn't be that difficult of a goal to list $100 profit worth of items on eBay everyday, would add up quick and after a couple years would be routine, list a thing or two, ship a thing or two, go detecting. I have said it before but boxes always sell at antique mall, any kind of box large or small. Sold!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alienlifeform, I'm beginning to feel like a dinosaur. I've been purchasing a modest amount of 17th and 18th century pottery mainly European, like Westerwald and Staffordshire for myself. I hope someone will want it down the line. I guess what goes around comes around and our younger generation will discover there were people here before them and mom and dad. That exact thing happened to me when I hit about 30. I guess the antiques will go in cycles. I hope.

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Forgot to mention another surefire way I always make a few bucks. Get an LED UV-flashlight and take it whenever you search garage sales, thrift stores, estate sales, even antique malls. I find uranium/vaseline/depression glass (goes by many names) regularly. Becomes easy to spot without light but many fakes out there too. With UV light it will jump out at you even buried amongst a pile of trashy dishes. People sell for high dollar and I sell for about 50-75% what others are asking since I get it for a quarter to a couple bucks. Sells quick when you have the lowest price. UV marbles too...

OP
OP
AlienLifeForm

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Forgot to mention another surefire way I always make a few bucks. Get an LED UV-flashlight and take it whenever you search garage sales, thrift stores, estate sales, even antique malls. I find uranium/vaseline/depression glass (goes by many names) regularly. Becomes easy to spot without light but many fakes out there too. With UV light it will jump out at you even buried amongst a pile of trashy dishes. People sell for high dollar and I sell for about 50-75% what others are asking since I get it for a quarter to a couple bucks. Sells quick when you have the lowest price. UV marbles too...

Thanks for that tip. I have had some in the past that sold pretty good, need to invest in a handheld UV light. Ive got a jar of old marbles here, I wonder if any glow?

Indigo Knight

Aug 10, 2017
Southern New England, USA
Primary Interest:
Other
Video games are probably the hottest thing I've dealt with in the past year. Second would be vinyl records.

Also, militaria, knives, firearms, camping equipment and related items, like Coleman lanterns and stoves.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread