cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am going through a bunch of old coins that I thought might be silver. I have been throwing them in a box for years. I have about 4 ounces that are silver but when melted will yield about 2.5 ounces pure AG.

I came across a few that I thought I could sell on feeBay. So I shot photos, cropped them uploaded them, wrote a description and set a price and feeBay would not accept the auction. They are Cuban coins 75 to 100 years old. Guess I will melt three of them (20 centavos) about $4.00 silver in each.

This was the reason ebay gave:
Listings for stamps, coins or paper money from Cuba are not permitted. eBay’s policy prohibits the sale of most items that originate from Cuba due to sanctions enforced by the U.S. Department of the Treasury

------------------------------
I also did the same thing on this 1773 Spanish 1 Real coin but it didn't quite measure up to what it should. It is 1mm larger than it should be and about .2gr too light. I think it is counterfeit. No problem I collect counterfeit. It will go along with me 1909 S VDB in mint condition. (also fake)

Attachments

• CUBA--01.jpg
    CUBA--01.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 110
  • CUBA-02.jpg
    CUBA-02.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 94
  • 1773-01.jpg
    1773-01.jpg
    729.4 KB · Views: 100
  • 1773-02.jpg
    1773-02.jpg
    877.3 KB · Views: 89
OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It does not matter anymore. I listed them on another site and sold them within 6 hours for $27.00

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
1. Just sell the cuban coins as mixed scrap silver world coin lot and dont mention the country. Problem solved.

2. That 1R is not fake. Not sure what the problem is?

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That 1R is not fake. Not sure what the problem is?
I went by the physical description from a website.
It is 1mm larger than it should be and about .2gr too light.

and yes I agree with old Abe.

Can you say what made you think it is real?

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I went by the physical description from a website.
It is 1mm larger than it should be and about .2gr too light.

and yes I agree with old Abe.

Can you say what made you think it is real?

You cant always go by stuff like weight to make a determination if a coin is genuine. I happen to collect Reales and from personal experience I can tell this one is genuine just by looking at it. There is not one thing jumping out at me to make me think otherwise. I mean, genuine or not, it is not worth much anyway.

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I happen to collect Reales and from personal experience I can tell this one is genuine just by looking at it.

Thanks, I will move it from my counterfeit collection to my "for sale" collection. I need to ask a big favor since you have more experience with Reals than I do. See my two photos below. I bought these at a yardsale. The owner (inherited them from father-in-law) gave me a hand written note that they were 1783 8 Reals found on the 1784 shipwreck El Cazador. I see on the back what could be 200 years saltwater damage, but if they were only one year old would they have this much wear? Also I took these to a coin store. The owner turned them down after weighing them. The correct weight should be 27.0674 gr. I tested on my electronic metal tester and they are silver.

Attachments

• 8-REAL-1.jpg
    8-REAL-1.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 74
  • 8-REAL-2.jpg
    8-REAL-2.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 77

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks, I will move it from my counterfeit collection to my "for sale" collection. I need to ask a big favor since you have more experience with Reals than I do. See my two photos below. I bought these at a yardsale. The owner (inherited them from father-in-law) gave me a hand written note that they were 1783 8 Reals found on the 1784 shipwreck El Cazador. I see on the back what could be 200 years saltwater damage, but if they were only one year old would they have this much wear? Also I took these to a coin store. The owner turned them down after weighing them. The correct weight should be 27.0674 gr. I tested on my electronic metal tester and they are silver.

I believe most if not all of the El Cazador reales are dated 1783. Your coins appear very similar to other shipwreck coins I have seen, although I am not well versed in "shipwreck" coins. Given the context of the note, the date, and the appearance, I would probably buy these as genuine shipwreck coins if offered them for a fair price. I do not know if you can attribute them to El Cazador, however.

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe most if not all of the El Cazador reales are dated 1783. Your coins appear very similar to other shipwreck coins I have seen, although I am not well versed in "shipwreck" coins. Given the context of the note, the date, and the appearance, I would probably buy these as genuine shipwreck coins if offered them for a fair price. I do not know if you can attribute them to El Cazador, however.

Boy ebay prices jump all over the place and most are slabbed. The original owner bought them from that TV channel that sell coins all day and that was what they were advertised as. All paperwork from that deal was lost. I literally filled up the back of my HHR with boxes of coins that this old guy bought for "future investment" I bought a lot of silver for a fair price and turned down the rest. The son-in-law said I could buy any or all of what was left for face value. I spent another couple hundred on BU UNC clad and wheats, indians & buffalos.

If you want to go offline and talk I could do that.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Boy ebay prices jump all over the place and most are slabbed. The original owner bought them from that TV channel that sell coins all day and that was what they were advertised as. All paperwork from that deal was lost. I literally filled up the back of my HHR with boxes of coins that this old guy bought for "future investment" I bought a lot of silver for a fair price and turned down the rest. The son-in-law said I could buy any or all of what was left for face value. I spent another couple hundred on BU UNC clad and wheats, indians & buffalos.

If you want to go offline and talk I could do that.

Dan,

Forgive me, as that was not intended as an offer. I was simply stating in my own words that those 2 coins are most likely genuine shipwreck Reales.

That being said, if you have any Reales or colonial era coins (copper or silver) for sale, I am always open to hearing offers. PM me.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Dan, I too am interested in purchasing coins so you can always PM me too..... Don't forget as a charter member you can sell here also. I am trying to complete a few sets that I have going so I would be receptive to anything you may have......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread