Telephone call from buyer out of the blue

SDIceMan

Nov 12, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a call today that I let go to voicemail as I normally do with numbers I don’t recognize, and the buyer left a lengthy message referencing an eBay item number and requesting that I call him back. He left his name, and between his name and item number, I was able to find the sold item in my PayPal account. It turns out it was not something I had sold this week, this month, or even this year. In fact, it was an item that I sold 10 months ago, give or take a day.

He and I ended up corresponding via text, and he told me he hasn’t been happy with the item since he received it and he was wondering what I could do to make it right. The item was new in original packaging when I sold it, so I let him know that at this point, there really was nothing I could do. If he had contacted me in a timely fashion, I would have attempted to make it right, but at 10 months after the sale date, I was hard-pressed to offer a satisfactory resolution.

I haven’t heard back from him since my last text, but I did a little googling, and apparently eBay will give out your telephone number as long as the individual requesting it has had a transaction with you in the past. It was a little unsettling, to be honest. But, I suppose it is no worse than the fact that everyone you do a transaction with has your home address.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That stinks. I hardly ever sell on Ebay anymore, but rather consign any extra antiques. Nothing else gets sold. Yes, they all have your address and your best bet is three words: home security system. It keeps the honest folks honest.

gordonquixote

Apr 8, 2012
N FL
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No way. 10 months later after selling a new item?
Tell him to take it up with the manufacturer.

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say:

“ please contact ACME COMPANY @ (800) WHO-CAREs I’m sure the item comes with a manufacturer 1 Year Warranty.since the item was brand new when you got it. Good luck Mr. 10months later”

07C5A207-C962-47BF-AEAC-516073CF5B5D.jpeg

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Isn't it amazing that someone would complain after having the article for 10 months! The scary thing is he (or she) feels justified. Just amazing...

lookingharder

Feb 27, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master. Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's another reason I stopped using Ebay. I know there are mix feelings about Facebook and I agree with most but I started using the yard sale sites to sell items and have had great success. There one that's called just us guys, no prom dresses, just tools, cars, farm implements, wood, manly man stuff, and it uses your phones location to show you only items that are withing a certain distance. The main reason I like using them is I cut out shipping completely. I do stained glass and that's huge fore me. Since the buyers are within a allotted distance I meet them to complete the transaction. If I'm the one selling, I'll meet them somewhere so I don't have strangers coming to my house. I'm listed in the phone book so my address is no secret but I just as soon not have strange company at my house. As far as Facebook goes, its like my TV, I don't follow or subscribe to a lot of stuff so I don't get a lot of garbage on Facebook.

OP
OP
SDIceMan

SDIceMan

Nov 12, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That buyer would now be blocked! Loon like that may try purchasing just for retaliation.

My thinking exactly. I actually added him to my block list before I even responded to his voicemail. I have been selling off and on on eBay since 2004, and this is the first time I have ever received an unsolicited phone call from a buyer. I’ve had phone conversations with buyers before, but always after we had coordinated first through eBay’s messaging system. Anyway, this threw up some red flags despite the fact that the whole situation was probably harmless.

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
I remember waaaay back in the early days, you would do business with money orders and trust was expected. I sold a Vince Carter RC for $60 and against my judgment, sent the card. Didn’t get my money and called the buyer because phone numbers were openly available on your profile. Turned out that the guy’s kid bought the card. He spoke to the kid and told me he would be mailing it back. He sent the card and I sold it...but waited for payment first. I can’t imagine doing that these days.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread