I am being blackmailed by an ebay buyer.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First time this has happened. Yesterday I got this message through ebay messages:

I was about to enter a negative feedback but want to give you an opportunity to preserve your 100% positive feedback. Unfortunately, I am disappointed with rocks you sent me. Out of the 5 pounds of agate paydirt you sent me, there is less than 3 ounces of very small useless worthless agates. Over half of the agates are smaller than a dried up shriveled pea. I would appreciate it if we could discuss some options to resolution? Please let me know what you are willing to do to make this right?

Sounds like feedback blackmail to me. Around lunch time today I will reply with something like: I try very hard to keep my feedback at 100%. Your message has me worried. Sorry you were not happy with the results. Total cost was $20 and of that $9.78 was ebay,paypal & post office fees. What do you feel would be a good solution for positive feedback from you?

I want to string her along to get another message from her threatening a negative in return for some kind of refund.

This is what I sell on ebay. I have had many sales of this and had repeat buyers.

AGATE PAYDIRT - 5 Pounds Beach Pebbles from Secret Spot - Not-Searched

I only charge $20 and I pay priority mail. Here are some photos and I even show quality and size of what to expect. I didn't lie. I actually do not search these pebbles. My local beach is just a couple miles from me and covered with agate rich pebbles like in my photo. She actually did pretty good, I "salt" each lot with about 2 ounces of agates. (just like the gold paydirt sellers, don't tell anyone)

This is my only disclaimer: I can not guarantee the quantity of stones you will find, but I am pretty sure you will be happy.

I now think it needs to be tougher. I looked at her feedback and orders. I see she also bought two bags of "gold paydirt" from a seller in Virginia. I contacted him and she has not done the same to him (yet) His disclaimer is more tough than mine.

Return policy applies to **unopened & unaltered items only** due to the treasure hunting nature of the Gold Paydirt item. As per eBay and OUR terms and policies returns cannot be given on items that have been opened or altered in any way, shape or form.
-The above policies are in place due to the sensitive nature of "treasure-hunting" items.
-As per eBay and our policies "buyers remorse" is not an acceptable reason to return an item including returns due to amounts or types of Gold treasures found or expected to be found.
You take the risk of getting no gold. As stated for testing , fun, educational purposes
Pictures are not a representation of what you will get but of what you can get
There is no guaranteed amount of gold!
Being the nature of it being random dirt you could get no gold

Attachments

• AGATE-01.jpg
    AGATE-01.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 291
  • AGATE-04.jpg
    AGATE-04.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 244
  • AGATE-05.jpg
    AGATE-05.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 192

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This person sounds like a turd - when you’re selling ‘paydirt’ i would expect a certain percentage of negative feedback.

Perhaps sell paydirt w another eBay account?

Sorry about this cyberdan!

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cost of doing business...settle.

If this just “kills” you, perhaps you should sell at flea markets, face to face.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I personally wouldn't worry about it. I would get with ebay and let them figure it out....

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cost of doing business...settle.

If this just “kills” you, perhaps you should sell at flea markets, face to face.

yes, cost of doing business, but don't like "threats"

Also, can't sell this at flea markets. Every buyer at my flea market can go to our local beach and find all the agates they want for free.

miboje

Mar 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 PowerMaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have a disclaimer. Enough said. Tell her you are sorry that she is disappointed, then remind her of your disclaimer/no guarantee of finds. Keep all communications in case she wants to push things.

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To me, it Doesn’t read like a threat. Your buyer is dissatisfied. It happens. Instead of dosing you with negative feedback, you are given an opportunity to satisfy your customer’s expectations (even if these were unrealistic).

The pebbles cost you nothing. How about offering the customer a free shipment of some small quantity of hand-selected “goodies”? It would cost you a few bucks postage and might earn you a very positive feedback.

complaints are a marketing opportunity.

Arachnofreak

Nov 16, 2012
Prescott Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey bud, Something like this has happened to me before too. I just refunded the guy and blocked him from purchasing from me again. Glad to see your standing up, I probably should have.

Charlie

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Refund will cost you $$ and may not prevent bad feedback. A few pebbles will cost you maybe $5 postage - worth a try in my opinion.

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just tell them to return item and I will provide a full refund. Then I block buyer. I had one guy gave me a neutral instead of asking for a refund. I gave him a neutral. He wanted a feedback war. Life is too short.

Overseas

Jun 28, 2016
Europe
Detector(s) used
Deephunter by Makro
Primary Interest:
Other
WARNING, I sold a few ounces of mixed pure sterling and silver plated flatware. I made it a few grams heavier than promised for total weight. I even had pictures of it on the scale, but eBay decided in the buyer's favor.

I would tell them to send it back to you THIS WEEK and and you will refund their money without the normal 10% restocking charge since they are unhappy and you like to maintain your positive feedback...and then block them from future sales.

Many people give up after they see the cost of shipping it back with a tracking number anyhow ;-)

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Either refund her or have her ship it back. If she tells Ebay it is not as described, you will have to pay for the return postage.

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hold it.......people are selling rocks on Ebay?? :dontknow:

I like the idea of telling them that you will send them another bag of rocks, it will at least make it look like you tried.

I don't use Ebay, but can you get them to leave you positive feedback first and then send the rocks?

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If that doesn't invoke an angrier response. I would tell them to return for a full refund. Most people go away after that. I had a person insistent on smelling smoke who wanted a partial refund. I thought their comments constituted feedback extortion but apparently you have to be very blatant about it recently. I really don't think it smelled like smoke or I wouldn't have sold it. They sure didn't want to return it. They wanted the smoke removal fee of $17 that their dry cleaner charged them. I guess that was better excuse than give me $17 to throw this in the washer. Its always downhill after that. Also why do people who are so deathly allergic to smoke buy used clothing in the first place. I eventually got the negative removed but it was more work than it should have been.

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes, cost of doing business, but don't like "threats"

Also, can't sell this at flea markets. Every buyer at my flea market can go to our local beach and find all the agates they want for free.
i must tell you i stay away from this kind of thing but my past would scare the poop out of this person cause i be from the left coast. 8-)

flinthunter

Jan 3, 2011
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, V3i, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Feedback extortion is against Ebay rules. Report this person and you should have no more problems with them. Block them from bidding on any more of your listings just in case Ebay doesn't give them the boot.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Dan have you thought about checking with one of those initial consultation free lawyers? I had something similar happen, not on EBay. Went to the lawyer and he listened & read my documentation, said just a minute. Walked back in with a letter basically saying knock the cheap sh* off or we go to court, we'll win and file a lien on your house, and told me to mail it to the guy certified return receipt. I did, problem solved! Never heard from the bum after he left an apology message on my phone. I think if you give any extras, they're going to feel they won and try this scam on other sellers. What'd she expect? Fist sized gem quality pieces for pennies on the dollar? Cmon............

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Dan have you thought about checking with one of those initial consultation free lawyers? I had something similar happen, not on EBay. Went to the lawyer and he listened & read my documentation, said just a minute. Walked back in with a letter basically saying knock the cheap sh* off or we go to court, we'll win and file a lien on your house, and told me to mail it to the guy certified return receipt. I did, problem solved! Never heard from the bum after he left an apology message on my phone. I think if you give any extras, they're going to feel they won and try this scam on other sellers. What'd she expect? Fist sized gem quality pieces for pennies on the dollar? Cmon............

You are SERIOUSLY suggesting he contact an attorney over $20?

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What'd she expect? Fist sized gem quality pieces for pennies on the dollar?

yesterday at noon I sent her this message. I know it is setup, depending on how she answers, to be feedback extortion.

Lisa, I try very hard to keep my feedback at 100%. I have had several re-orders and that tells me I had a happy customer, but your message has me worried. Sorry you were not happy with the results. Your cost was $20 and of that $9.78 was my ebay, paypal & post office costs. What do you feel would be a good solution for positive feedback from you?

I also think I will adapt a disclaimer from a gold paydirt ebay auction and put on my auctions.
I blocked her yesterday. I have not heard back from her yet.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread