Is Anybody Feeling the Burn from Ebay's Global Shipping Program?

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure the GSP has been a great asset for those who were previously unwilling to open up to selling on the global market. The shipping program has promised quite a bit and had delivered on numerous occasions but now i'm starting to see the other side of the coin.

Within the past 2 months, 75% of my Global Shipping Program sales have resulted in non paying bidders. I think it has to do with the added shipping costs that will often be higher then the purchase price. Once the shock wears off, they just walk away from the deal which really is a pain.

Now i have to open a case, wait it out and then relist (on my dime) while they move on to the next item.

Has anybody else seen an uptick in non payers through the GSP?

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I don't sell internationally. I know people that do & belong to a Facebook group of resellers that advocate for selling internationally. Most prefer to ship themselves instead of GSP. Two of the reasons they do it that way is that they believe the high cost of GSP scares buyers off pre-sale and leads to a higher percentage of non-paying buyers.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I refuse to sell internationally anymore and I carefully read overseas listings to see if they participate in this double dipping.

Bud Aurum

Jan 6, 2017
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I work full time so GSP is the most time saving and easiest.

Depending on what you sell it may be more or less beneficial to both you and the Buyer.
If your selling new items, international Buyers will fine another seller using way cheaper shipping rates.
But, if you sell vintage/antique items, the Buyer may have no other options.

For instance, I was selling a large collection of rare Goebel/Hummel figurines and most Buyers were from Germany and willing to pay my high retail price along with the inflated GSP shipping cost. I have had many similar instances with other items such as vintage electronics sell well in Japan and China.

I almost always include GSP shipping and exclusively sell vintage/antique and warn Buyers of the additional cost on my Listing for GSP.
The non-payer percentage rate is a bit higher, but opening a case and a refund on your fees is effortless.
A good 20-30% of my sales are thru GSP

Without GPS I would sell less and some items would sell at a lower retail.
Collectors are willing to fork over the extra bucks.

Also, I never had a return using GSP and as long as the item reaches the USA based warehouse, they cover any damage/loss after that.

Your Bud Aurum

Last edited:

GregK

Jan 10, 2008
As a Canadian I won't buy through the GSP unless its something I just can't live without. They automatically charge taxes and import duties with the shipping. The sad part is that 99% of the time these would ship to me sans taxes and duties if sent via regular shipping. I think that is the biggest "off putting" thing about the GSP. And I know I'm not alone when I say I won't bid/buy if I see the GSP listed in the auction.

Bud Aurum

Jan 6, 2017
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a Canadian I won't buy through the GSP unless its something I just can't live without. They automatically charge taxes and import duties with the shipping. The sad part is that 99% of the time these would ship to me sans taxes and duties if sent via regular shipping. I think that is the biggest "off putting" thing about the GSP. And I know I'm not alone when I say I won't bid/buy if I see the GSP listed in the auction.

I agree, I get no business from Canada. Only occasional whining.
I think the program is worse for Canadians than anyone else.

Your Bud Aurum

GregK

Jan 10, 2008
As Canadians we typically don't get taxed on ebay purchases unless it's a really high dollar item. Then the tax man cometh. That's why the GSP stings so much. Getting unnecessarily charged for taxes and import duties that wouldn't be charged in the first place. But I can certainly see the upside to it as a US based seller. Unlike others I actually take the time to read the auction page so if I see the GSP listed then I move along. No whining! Lol!

s2ndjetli

Apr 25, 2018
Summit County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I dealt with this 10 years ago on Alibaba and learned my lesson, they have since tightened up some policies but I learned who to watch. The GSP is ok for super sellers as they can absorb the situation and move forward but for a small person its NO GOOD. USA ONLY for me. One thing with this we are going to feel is the entire internet change that comes this month.. I see craponyou rrrrr Yahoo has already started pushing there "oath" rules due to Verizons law similar to this that now states YOU CANT SUE em or pursue litigation.. I dont see anything good coming down the road.. just get in the herd and do as your told.

Paleo_joe

Mar 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ship all over the world without GSP and haven’t had a problem. I am not sure why people use it because it is so insanely expensive. I also sell on forums and there you have no ebay or GSP, just two people in two countries making a deal.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally, I don't want to deal with international shipping except through the GSP, most of the time. I know it's a BS program for the buyers but it saves me time and headaches in the long run.

Regarding Canada, I just sold an item via GSP to a Canadian. Free shipping to the global shipping center but it had to cost her an arm and a leg. It was a jade and alabaster bonsai tree that weighed over 10 pounds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions