Uptick in Non-Paying First Time Buyers? Has a new wave of scammers hit ebay?

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Over the past week, i've got about $7-800.00 dollars in goods "awaiting payment" from buyers who are have zero feedback or don't seem capable of paying.

Has anybody else seen a recent increase in nonpayers? At this point, i feel kinda paralyzed. I'm hesitant to accept any offers for fear of having another item get stuck in the twilight zone while i have to hound the buyer with invoices/messages for them to hold up their end of the negoiated price.

Is it like craigslist where ads are replied to just so they can get an email address or some sort of personal info out of the seller?

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a buyer, I have not been disappointed lately. Now paypal is another story. Ebay has been beating out other online reselling stores. You could try no bidders with low buying number or recent accounts. Limit shipping to conus.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I don't communicate with buyers in any way unless they contact me. When they agree to buy (auction, BIN, offer, whatever) eBay sends them an invoice. If they pay I ship. If they don't pay within 4 days eBay automatically opens an unpaid item case. That gives them another few days to pay. If they pay I ship. If they don't pay I get my fees back & relist. Life's too short to chase people that may or may not have a legitimate reason why they don't pay immediately.

Having said that, better than 90% of the people that buy from me that delay payment are people with more than 500 feedback. In fact I sold 2 items Saturday to people with over 3000 feedback each. One paid yesterday afternoon & the other had a UPI case opened on them this afternoon. I sell $2000-6000 in merchandise every month and have not seen any increase in non-paying buyers.

Waterbug

Jul 6, 2005
Iowa
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, XLT & GoldmasterV/SAT
Fisher 1280x
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok,here is one for you.I tried numerous times to pay for an item purchased off ebay through PayPal. Each and every time the transaction was denied.Why ?? as other purchases went through.I contacted my card company and was told that the seller of this item has some type of fraud associated with his account and would not ok the transaction.This seller has a 100% good showing and lots of items on ebay.I contacted ebay and explained why I can not pay for the purchase and asked them to remove it. I also contacted the seller and explained to him why I am unable to pay.No response from him.Damned if I know what is going on.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
You seem to be overreacting. Non paying buyers are certainly time wasters but I fail to see how they are scammers...

OP
OP
B

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, turns out at least one of the buyers was a scammer using a stolen credit card. My gut feeling, once i saw the "buyers" name prompted me to do a address search. After seeing the location of the "buyer" something just didn't sit right.

I have no business telling people what they can and can't buy but i don't think many men that live in a trailer park, in a Florida swamp, are really interested in buying high end women's heels. Ebay contacted me saying that a person was buying stuff on a hijacked account and not to ship anything.

The other buyers were just deadbeats that didn't want to pay.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread