cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
feeBay reminds me of the local school district where I used to live. No matter where the kids was (grade wise) in the class he/she was a winner. You have school competitions everyone got a ribbon.

Now I just got this message from the bay.

You’re Doing Great
We recently announced in the 2018 Seller Update that you’ll soon see new service metrics in Seller Hub. As of today, we wanted to let you know that you’re doing great—keep it up!

I have not made a sale in 6 weeks. I have 16 auctions going, but I have them on repeat till they sell. My dashboard shows I am down 85.1% from this time last year, but I AM DOING GREAT!

I have a local business here in town and it is doing pretty well. I live in a tourist town and I make souvenirs and postcards to sell in gift shops. Also getting ready to sell in the summer Farmers Markets, just don't have time to do ebay. I have several pieces of gold jewelry I think I will sell for scrap but that is about it.

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
31 items here until I reduced them to 28 this morning. I got a similar message but most feeBay messages get marked as read without really reading them.
It's a shame what the site has become. People want you to practically GIVE your items away. All my items are shipped for free and I refuse to gouge buyers with inflated BIN prices to cover those shipping expenses. Most of the time I make only a few dollars profit so it is more of a hobby than an enterprise. I started with a spreadsheet that listed the items, price I paid, price paid by buyers, shipping cost, feeBay cut, etc but gave up on that once I saw the numbers.
Watchers. Can't stand them. Why do you need to watch an item that is not an auction and has a BIN price? Poop or get off the pot! I invite anyone to compare my items with similar pieces offered by others and can guarantee that my item will be in as mint condition, (or better) than the other guys and my price will be lower even with the free shipping.
I laugh when I see their algorithm that tells me what price I should start at then it tells me I have a very low chance on selling at my set price BECAUSE IT CANNOT COMPREHEND THAT I AM OFFERING TWO IDENTICAL ITEMS IN THE SAME LOT, NOT JUST ONE!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree that ebay puts out a lot of bs messages. I don't believe in rainbows, unicorns and lollipops myself. Unless it's for free listings or a discount on my final value fees, I don't pay much attention to them.

They wanted me to lower the price of an item just 2 days ago from 19.99 down to 12.99. I did not. 4 hours later that same item sold for the 19.99 I had it listed at.

My sales have been doing pretty good actually, as of late. Then again I have stepped up my game a bit on there. Trying to get rid of some stuff while I have the time. If I've put in the time to do the research on the current value of my items, I see no reason to lower any of my prices because ebay suggests it. Especially if that item has been listed for less than 30 days.
I may even list some treasure and non treasure related items on the classifieds here. May as well take advantage of my charter membership. You guys may want to think about that since you're both CM's yourselves.

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
May as well take advantage of my charter membership. You guys may want to think about that since you're both CM's yourselves.

I did that a few weeks ago and not a bit yet. I have an Amazon fire 7 Kids Edition listed. Not even a question. I had it listed on facebook for now over a month. (relisted every week to 5-6 places) Everytime I get a bit and someone wants it. I try to set up a meet time and place and they never reply back, not even a "no"

creekhunter

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And with all the rules towards returns now, eBay doesn't care two cents about sellers anymore, I have all but stopped selling there. We finally sold a vehicle after 4 listings were won by non paying bidders, not even a peep from them.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And with all the rules towards returns now, eBay doesn't care two cents about sellers anymore, I have all but stopped selling there. We finally sold a vehicle after 4 listings were won by non paying bidders, not even a peep from them.
I don't think I would even attempt to sell a vehicle on eBay. I don't know, I don't seem to experience too many problems as a seller myself. Sure you run into the occasional nut bag, but that's not limited to eBay, the whackos are everywhere. I have a problem maybe once in every 150-200 transactions. I can live with those odds.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I don't think I would even attempt to sell a vehicle on eBay. I don't know, I don't seem to experience too many problems as a seller myself. Sure you run into the occasional nut bag, but that's not limited to eBay, the whackos are everywhere. I have a problem maybe once in every 150-200 transactions. I can live with those odds.

I'd have to check my records to get exact numbers but
sold over 700 items last year. I get a return request every few months. Most of those are legitimate.

arrington

Jan 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently closed my 'bay store................ haven't listed in a few months but the fees and return policies don't sit well with me.

PirateLabs

Feb 21, 2017
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
31 items here until I reduced them to 28 this morning. I got a similar message but most feeBay messages get marked as read without really reading them.
It's a shame what the site has become. People want you to practically GIVE your items away. All my items are shipped for free and I refuse to gouge buyers with inflated BIN prices to cover those shipping expenses. Most of the time I make only a few dollars profit so it is more of a hobby than an enterprise. I started with a spreadsheet that listed the items, price I paid, price paid by buyers, shipping cost, feeBay cut, etc but gave up on that once I saw the numbers.
Watchers. Can't stand them. Why do you need to watch an item that is not an auction and has a BIN price? Poop or get off the pot! I invite anyone to compare my items with similar pieces offered by others and can guarantee that my item will be in as mint condition, (or better) than the other guys and my price will be lower even with the free shipping.
I laugh when I see their algorithm that tells me what price I should start at then it tells me I have a very low chance on selling at my set price BECAUSE IT CANNOT COMPREHEND THAT I AM OFFERING TWO IDENTICAL ITEMS IN THE SAME LOT, NOT JUST ONE!

I have many items on my watch list and I am happy they have that feature. I usually spend a lot of time shopping around to find the best deal or an item with the exact features I want and then, later, some time months later when I can afford that item, I buy it and have no trouble finding that item without having to start all over again. I have done this for years and bought hundreds of items from ebay. I have never sold anything on ebay yet so I am only looking at it from the buyer's side. I used to just bookmark them for later but somehow, those pages get moved and my bookmark shows a 404 error. Watch list items are easily found always. Just this month I purchased a Les Paul guitar and also a Fender amp, 2 clutches for my 50cc scooter, a guitar stand, some wrenches, guitar strings and diamond files. No wonder I am broke.

Last edited:

Paleo_joe

Mar 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Watchers don’t mean buyers. Many can be other sellers watching to see how yours does before listing theirs. I’m doing that with an item right now.
But all in all, I love watchers, because ebay notifies them if I relist or change the price of an item, so I can use that as a tool to help selling.

Last edited:

PirateLabs

Feb 21, 2017
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Watchers don’t mean buyers. Many can be other sellers watching to see how yours does before listing theirs. I’m doing that with an item right now.
But all in all, I love watchers, because ebay notifies them if I relist or change the price of an item, so I can use that as a tool to help selling.

What ebay also does when you are watching an item, is to keep emailing you showing the item and warning you that this might sell out soon, so act now...I have to admit that has motivated me to just go ahead and purchase an item even though financially it would have been better for me to wait, ha ha.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread