Paid, ship now! Don't believe it. Check first!

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Early this month we received a small order for some fabric. The order was for a little over 30 bucks. After getting the message "Paid, ship now" on the icon at the top right corner, i did just that. I shipped. Then, my wife went to Pay pal and noticed the money was not in the account. Long story short, we did not get paid and are still working on getting the money.

Today, the same thing happened but i checked the status first and indeed the item has not been paid for. The money is not in our paypal account but the Ebay message says paid. Here is a pic of the message.

IMG_2921.JPG

Don't believe the above message...either go to your paypal account and verify the money is there or go to your sold items and look at the status icons. Make sure you see the Dollar sign next to the check-mark and not an hour glass as shown in the picture below.

IMG_2922.JPG
I talked to Ebay a few min ago and they said you get the "paid ship now" message when a paypal transaction is initiated. It does not mean we actually got paid.

Last edited:

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...I talked to Ebay a few min ago and they said you get the "paid ship now" message when a paypal transaction is initiated. It does not mean we actually got paid...
metal_detector.gif
That is so wrong! I hope they change the wording. Sounds like a cop-out for a software mistake - unreal!

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Help me understand what's happening here.....So a buyer places an order, then proceeds to checkout (while linked to your item) selects Paypal and logs into Paypal but doesn't pay. Does that initiate the Paypal transaction?

I've never had this issue since I have my Paypal notifications set up to email me when money is actually received. I have my ebay notifications turned off. I can see where a seller without these protections in place could easily get burned. Good lesson, thanks for sharing.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1320, they paid...by check. The hourglass means the person paid by EFT, that is, a check. Paypal is waiting for the check to clear, that's all. It can take 3 to 5 days. The $ means you really have the money. If you ship by paypal, and use the funds in the paypal account, it would be obvious if you had the funds there or not because you would pay for the shipping with the paypal balance. Otherwise, paypal would direct you to pay with another source.

This is how it's been forever. The hourglass is not seen much anymore as most of us pay by credit card anymore. I've been doing this 19 years now.

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
1320, they paid...by check. The hourglass means the person paid by EFT, that is, a check. Paypal is waiting for the check to clear, that's all. It can take 3 to 5 days. The $ means you really have the money. If you ship by paypal, and use the funds in the paypal account, it would be obvious if you had the funds there or not because you would pay for the shipping with the paypal balance. Otherwise, paypal would direct you to pay with another source.

This is how it's been forever. The hourglass is not seen much anymore as most of us pay by credit card anymore. I've been doing this 19 years now.

I thought Paypal did away with EFT a while back, who still does that? Lol. I've had a few buyers years ago that paid that way and those were trouble free transactions, just took a while to clear however, that automated message that the OP received didn't exist then. And I would always wait for the EFT to clear before shipping.

I wonder if this is some of the Ayden/PayPal fallout? Anyone know if Ayden is on board yet? Are we eventually going to have to open up an Ayden account? I haven't done much ebaying lately, I'm flying blind here.

For arguments sake, can a buyer cancel an EFT if he/she receives the merchandise before it clears? Just an obvious way to scam, I like to think ebay/PayPal would be in front of this if that's a possibility.

A bit off topic but EFT's/wire transfers are a rip off. Crypto currencies eliminate these 3 to 7 day waits for money to exchange hands. An EFT allows these institutions to sit on the money and gain interest from it all the while delaying a business transaction for said number of days.

As an ebay buyer, what is the advantage of transferring money via EFT?

OP
OP
Ammoman

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been it doing pay pal and Ebay for well over 20 years myself and this is the first time something like this has happened. I have had funds held in the past but i was notified of this and the transaction still showed up in my paypal account as not available) With these two transactions, NO money ever came into my paypal account. The Ebay rep told me the hour glass means the money transaction is not complete, therefore do not ship and have the buyer check their pay pal account. My big issue is, why am i getting a notification from ebay saying i was paid when in fact i have not been paid.

Any way you look at it, just be sure your funds are really in your account before you ship and don't rely on the icon that tells you to ship.

OP
OP
Ammoman

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Help me understand what's happening here.....So a buyer places an order, then proceeds to checkout (while linked to your item) selects Paypal and logs into Paypal but doesn't pay. Does that initiate the Paypal transaction?

I've never had this issue since I have my Paypal notifications set up to email me when money is actually received. I have my ebay notifications turned off. I can see where a seller without these protections in place could easily get burned. Good lesson, thanks for sharing.

It may be they go thru the steps but something stops the payment from going thru. Not sure what that would be but the seller needs to be notified!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently had an EFT payment and done the same thing, mailing it off without realizing it. Luckily the funds had cleared in 24 hours, so it was a non issue. This was my first EFT in years.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread