diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I sold a Spirit of St. Louis 2 valve wireless radio replica recently for $59.99 plus $24.99 shipping. I didn't actually weigh it, I went by other shipping prices that were charged previously for the same item and listed it as such. So it sells in less than 24 hours. Guess I should have charged more but it only cost me $15 so I'm fine with that.
Anyway, I carefully wrap it and box it up for shipping and then put it on the scale, weighs between 12 and 13 pounds. Okay, not too bad I think. Went to check out the price for USPS priority and the cost was like $45 or something crazy like that. Same price minus a dollar maybe for parcel select. Wow, that's crazy I thought. The guy lives in Ca. (of course since I'm in Fl.) but still, $45?
So I checked out Fedex prices on ebay. Imagine my surprise when it gave me a cost of $27.87. Granted it's still more than I charged but it's a whole lot better than $45. So remember to check Fedex on any heavy parcels, it just may be cheaper.

This is the first time that I've found Fedex to be cheaper than the USPS. But then 99.5% of my items weigh less than 5 pounds probably.

PS- Next time I will be sure to weigh the item and maybe use the shipping based on weight too, for once.:icon_scratch:

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I'm in Alabama & have been burned on shipping to the other coast before. Hard to believe how much the cost jumps up when it has to go that far. Anyway, if it can't go flat rate, regional rate, or first class I charge for shipping by weight.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PS- Next time I will be sure to weigh the item and maybe use the shipping based on weight too, for once.:icon_scratch:

I had the same thing happen to me with a buyer in PA. I under estimated the weight of a couple of vintage multi-meters. $21.75 USPS Priority...ouch. I managed to get the price down to $16.27 by squeezing them into a regional box B. I can't believe how much shipping has gone up. Of course ebay still gets their percentage on top of that.

I thought the same thing as you, start using the calculator, and add a pound for good measure.

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always weigh to get the approx shipping then like Gib add an extra pound for good measure. I also use the farthest destination. Sometime I need to give some refunds on shipping but that is better than getting hit with unexpected shipping charge.

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I hear all of you. I've never been off that much before. From now on I'll be weighing any large items beforehand, that's for sure.

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I shipped a large RC car to Australia, thought I had shipping covered at $90....wow, lost my a## on that one!! Didn't do my homework, my bad. I even had NO international shipping listed but dude bought and paid right away, how did that happen? Plz note that I buy on eBay, rarely sell. Thx Ddf.

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I shipped a large RC car to Australia, thought I had shipping covered at $90....wow, lost my a## on that one!! Didn't do my homework, my bad. I even had NO international shipping listed but dude bought and paid right away, how did that happen? Plz note that I buy on eBay, rarely sell. Thx Ddf.
I would have had to cancel that transaction.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread