diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beware when listing an item using the "Have one to sell? Sell now" feature from a like item that is either listed or already sold.
I will sometimes find the same or very similar item on ebay that I have to sell, in order to see which category has the most listings for that item, or if I'm just too lazy to search through the categories to select the correct one to list it in.

Several times in the past couple months, including just now, when I use that feature to list an item it seems the checkbox for "Stand out with a bold title in search results($4.00)" is already checked. It got me once before I noticed it and I had to pay the extra $4 for a listing. I don't know if they do it now by default but it seems to be happening more and more so pay attention. Funny thing is, just now when I first looked at it, it wasn't checked, by the time I adjusted the title to my own, it was checked. Figure that one out. Anybody else run into this lately?

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, I haven't seen that one before. Thanks for the heads up.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Had something similar happen to me. I was selling dolls. I know nothing about dolls so I searched and found a similar listing. When you do so, it inherits the properties that set by that seller. I never ship internationally. This seller had allowed international shipping in their listing. I wasn't paying attention. I had a $9.95 shipping on my listing. A buyer in Italy ended up winning and I didn't realize until I was sending an invoice. I immediately canceled the order. Went to send a second chance offer to the next bidder, but they were in China. The third highest bidder was a difference of $30 from the first buyer. So I said the heck with it and tried to sell it back to the original high bidder. But because I canceled it, I couldn't "un-cancel" it. So I contacted the bidder outside of eBay and negotiated the sale direct. She really wanted the dolls. It ended up costing me close to $25 to ship to Italy.

Note: Vintage Ginny Dolls are really good sellers.

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I know it inherits the features but I just have a hard time believing that many people are using that $4 option myself. This has happened at least 4 times in the last several weeks. I also just opened a store a few weeks ago also. I'm not one for conspiracy theories but something smells fishy.

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I had that where they had checked off the wrong stone. They had turquoise and it wasn't, it was aventurine. I ended up with an INAD because I didn't catch it before I listed. Never again

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, I almost got caught paying more than I would have normally by not double checking every written line.
I think were all so used to quickly checking the "I agree" at every website or item we download.
Carl

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes! I've had settings change on me too. Global shipping, shipping selections, etc...

Ebay has seemed to be real glitchy lately. Today, a buyer made an offer, I accepted, went into "my Ebay" went down to the unpaid sale, clicked on isend invoice..It took me to a screen that said something about the info from the original sale site needed to be updated..or something along those lines. I wasn't sure what was going on and in fear of clicking anything that might send info to something bad I didn't send an invoice. Luckily the buyer paid without one, which they usually do, I just write a thank you in the invoice. I'm glad I saw this thread because I thought maybe something was whacky with my computer. Also, I like the old style Ebay, when looking at my listing or sale page. Those change occasionally by themselves. But nothing is constant.

"sell one like this" I think uses everything from the listing that you pick like yours. I don't use that anymore at all. By the time I'm done correcting the listing to what I want ? It's easier to start fresh.

I also can't get the Global shipping section to work right on some of the listings I do select it in.

Another thing to watch...I've measured and weighed packages for calculated shipping. Get to the post office and the price is higher by a couple of bucks. Not a huge deal on larger priced items, but sucks when your riding the line to make a buck. Maybe I'm doing something wrong there but, I don't see how...It's pretty straight forward.

Ebay seems glitchy for me lately.:laughing7: I've been playing around on it for years off and on and never had as many issues.

Last edited:

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Nitric - I've been bit by the calculated shipping also. Now, I also have a spring scale so it could be the scale, but it always zeroes out. Buyers are always quick to complain about shipping charges. So I never charge a handling fee and charge at cost. It still doesn't stop some from complaining. But when it comes to calculated shipping, I always add a pound.

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the heads up. I had a glitchy experience last week when the auction for my Shenango mug ended. I was watching the listing until the final seconds anticipating a bidding war between some sniper 'watchers'. As soon as it ended I clicked to send the buyer an invoice. I got a message back that said I can't send an invoice as the buyer had already paid. I knew better just by looking at the left of the page and by checking my PayPal account. I messaged the buyer to please disregard any notifications that suggested she had paid, please forward the funds to my PayPal, etc.
Luckily I eventually found where I could 'un-mark as paid' but I certainly did not mark it as paid when the auction ended so I'm still trying to figure that one out :dontknow:

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I'll keep an eye out for that. On a side note, why do I see so many of you talking about sending invoices? I've sold 40-100 items every month for the last few years and could count on one hand the number of times I've sent an invoice. Buyers get a notification from eBay when the auction ends or they hit BIN. If they don't pay within the time I've chosen eBay automatically opens a case. If they still don't pay eBay decides in my favor. Life's too short to worry about doing something that eBay will do for me. That's one of the reasons I'm willing to pay their fees.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll keep an eye out for that. On a side note, why do I see so many of you talking about sending invoices? I've sold 40-100 items every month for the last few years and could count on one hand the number of times I've sent an invoice. Buyers get a notification from eBay when the auction ends or they hit BIN. If they don't pay within the time I've chosen eBay automatically opens a case. If they still don't pay eBay decides in my favor. Life's too short to worry about doing something that eBay will do for me. That's one of the reasons I'm willing to pay their fees.

I do send an invoice, or even a message if they pay before the invoice. I just do it so I can leave a small message, "Thank you! I'll ship out tomorrow........" Just to kind of make it more personal and not just an electronic deal with no interaction. I'm not moving huge volume so I have plenty of time to do it. If I was moving any amount of real volume it may be different, but I'd still do it on higher priced items....I want them to remember me, I want them to feel it's more personal and that they may feel more obligated to leave feedback, a higher offer on another item. etc... I feel I have a better chance at that if even a fraction of them notice.

I'll even joke around with low ballers on make offer. It doesn't bother me one bit. I'll send them a stupid message saying something like..."come on! I know you can dig a little deeper for a piece of jun...Treasure like this!!!" Or whatever nonsense I come up with. Believe it or not? A lot of times if someone gets a laugh out of it they come back with a real offer. I had one guy go through the list and buy all of one item I had, software stuff. If you just deny it? They may just move on. I also low ball so, none of that bothers me like it does others that I've seen post about it. Some get mad, some accept! It's all a game and you also want your buyers to have a little fun too...They will come back.

Then, You get the repeat low ballers , seeing what your going to come up with! :laughing7: But at least they are looking at your stuff.

Anyhow, that's why I do the messages and invoices. To make it as person to person as I can and not just completely automated.

Last edited:

Keith Jackson

Aug 12, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I hate the new selling interface. I put up a listing using the 'sell one like this' and it gave me the 'or best offer' option which I did not want. Also, they have changed their item conditions to just 'new' and 'used' so the item I was listing, which was new, but the box had been opened, had to be listed as 'used' instead of the old 'new other'.

OtakuDude

Apr 16, 2007
Monee, IL
I regularly check my ebay monthly invoices and occasionally I'll find a listing will now has a boldface option which I never authorized. When I see that, I simply call customer service and have the boldface removed and whatever fee I was charged credited back to me in total, no matter how many months had passed since it first appeared.

CygnusX1

Jun 19, 2018
Covington, La
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur ll, Minelab Equinox 600 - Nokta Pinpointer, Xtreme scoop and handle.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I quit selling all together on eBay last year due to the fees they were charging me.

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hate the new selling interface. I put up a listing using the 'sell one like this' and it gave me the 'or best offer' option which I did not want. Also, they have changed their item conditions to just 'new' and 'used' so the item I was listing, which was new, but the box had been opened, had to be listed as 'used' instead of the old 'new other'.
Might have something to do with the specific category the item is listed in.

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I quit selling all together on eBay last year due to the fees they were charging me.
I don't think 10% is excessive. About the only fee change in the last several years has been the added 10% they take from the shipping charge. Stupid unscrupulous sellers caused that one actually. Basically giving away items and charging on the back end some ridiculous shipping rate just to basically avoid the ebay final value fee. If it was my company I would have done the same.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
I don't think 10% is excessive. About the only fee change in the last several years has been the added 10% they take from the shipping charge. Stupid unscrupulous sellers caused that one actually. Basically giving away items and charging on the back end some ridiculous shipping rate just to basically avoid the ebay final value fee. If it was my company I would have done the same.

I agree with you that the selling fee isn't excessive. I have used eBay's fees to negotiate lower consignment fees at local auctions. Local auctioneers know that coins put bidders in the gallery. I pay a flat 10% consignment fee on all coins that sell through them. While I hit a larger audience with eBay, it tends to be a more knowledgeable customer. I can sell common mint/proof sets for minimal profit on eBay, but selling in local auction houses always yields higher gains. My only complaint with the local auctions is the turnaround time. If an auction is on a Saturday, the coins have to be delivered/dropped off by Tuesday the latest so they can be photographed and listed in the catalog. They sell on Saturday, but for whatever reason, my check isn't available for another week after.

Now the shipping fee, I don't like. I charge at cost and I still have customers who complain that my shipping is too expensive. I call it the Amazon effect. People are so used to free shipping that they come to expect it from all transactions. I offer free shipping for the small individual coins, but when I sell a lot that is in a large flat rate box, I have to pass on the cost to the buyer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread