Shipping Books

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
Straight from the USPS website:

Media Mail shipping is a cost-effective way to send educational materials. This service has restrictions on the type of media that can be shipped. Media Mail rates are limited to the items listed below:

• [*=left]Books (at least 8 pages).
    [*=left]Sound recordings and video recordings, such as CDs and DVDs.
    [*=left]Play scripts and manuscripts for books, periodicals, and music.
    [*=left]Printed music.
    [*=left]Computer-readable media containing prerecorded information and guides or scripts prepared solely for use with such media.
    [*=left]Sixteen millimeter or narrower width films.
    [*=left]Printed objective test materials and their accessories.
    [*=left]Printed educational reference charts.
    [*=left]Loose-leaf pages and their binders consisting of medical information for distribution to doctors, hospitals, medical schools, and medical students.
    [*=left]Media Mail packages may not contain advertising. Comic books do not meet
    this standard. Books may contain incidental announcements of other books and sound recordings may contain incidental announcements of other sound recordings. In accordance with standards in the
    Mailing Standards of the United States Postal Service,
    Domestic Mail Manual (DMM), Section 170, Media Mail packages must have a delivery address and the sender’s return address and are subject to inspection by the Postal Service™. Upon such inspection, matter not eligible for the Media Mail rate may be assessed at the proper price and sent to the recipient postage due, or the sender may be contacted for additional postage.

OP
OP
B

Bassmaster96

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I guess a collectible book would fit the description since it could technically be educational? The educational part is what throws me off on the media mail.

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I mail all types of books, not just educational. I will be mailing some Magic The Gathering books Monday as media. I once ran across something like you on a bunch of books from the 50 and 60s and all went media. As far as shipping them i wrapped in bubble wrap and normally had to modify boxes. One thing to keep in mind is to protect the corners. You may also want to wrap them in some kind of waterproof baggie in the rainy season. Any thing going to the Pacific Northwest was wrapped as if they were going to be left in the rain.

OP
OP
B

Bassmaster96

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I mail all types of books, not just educational. I will be mailing some Magic The Gathering books Monday as media. I once ran across something like you on a bunch of books from the 50 and 60s and all went media. As far as shipping them i wrapped in bubble wrap and normally had to modify boxes. One thing to keep in mind is to protect the corners. You may also want to wrap them in some kind of waterproof baggie in the rainy season. Any thing going to the Pacific Northwest was wrapped as if they were going to be left in the rain.

That's a good idea. I appreciate that. I was thinking about how I'm going to have to get creative with the boxes. I guess I've got to get some listed before I deal with that though. :laughing7: Thanks for the info :thumbsup:

mjlalt

Jul 18, 2012
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ship some books media mail. It really depends on the value of the book for me. I prefer to ship more valuable book via priority mail.

Occasionally the post office will open up and inspect the contents of media mail packages and they don't always do a good job of repacking the item.

Cons to media mail
1. Random inspections of contents
2. slow
3. No Carrier pickup ( unless you schedule it with a First Class or Priority Package)

Pros
Super cheap for heavy books

Inix

Dec 2, 2017
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree with Bassmaster. Media mail for common books, Priority Mail for higher dollar books. Media Mail can be a bit slow and parcels tend to receive some abuse. I'd recomend you look at Priority Mail Flat Rate boxes if that is the way you decide to ship. They are free at the post office and you can also order them online and the post office will deliver to your address for no charge. Free Priority Mail tape is also available. You have to order that by phone. Your postmaster can furnish that number. The flat rate will save you, and or the buyer some money on heavy items. Priority Mail seems not to get too beat up and tracking and the first $50.00 of insurance is, "free".

Good luck with your books!

OP
OP
B

Bassmaster96

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Bassmaster. Media mail for common books, Priority Mail for higher dollar books. Media Mail can be a bit slow and parcels tend to receive some abuse. I'd recomend you look at Priority Mail Flat Rate boxes if that is the way you decide to ship. They are free at the post office and you can also order them online and the post office will deliver to your address for no charge. Free Priority Mail tape is also available. You have to order that by phone. Your postmaster can furnish that number. The flat rate will save you, and or the buyer some money on heavy items. Priority Mail seems not to get too beat up and tracking and the first $50.00 of insurance is, "free".

Good luck with your books!

Thanks, I use the flat rate pretty often and also regional rate. I sent some cheap ones media mail today. Everything looks good so far, hopefully it will stay that way. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
B

Bassmaster96

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sent my first lot through media mail. The price was great, but wow is it slow :laughing7:

deserdog

May 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have shipped lots of books. I put in a plastic bag, sleeve in cardboard 1/2" bigger then the book, and then ship in a box. I make all the boxes that regular books go in. Can't ever find the right size. so got good at just making them. I use regional boxes for more expensive books.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A) I mail all types of books, not just educational.

B) You may also want to wrap them in some kind of waterproof baggie in the rainy season. Any thing going to the Pacific Northwest was wrapped as if they were going to be left in the rain.

A) Books are books, you should be fine with media mail,but let your customer know it will take forever and you may still get negative feedback and claims because they did not get fast enough. (give option to pay more for 1st class or priority mail) I used to try selling books on half.com (owned by ebay, now out of business) but gave up. Too many people were listing the same books I was trying to sell for 1¢ each. I donated all my books to the library.

B) I live on the Pacific in northern CA. No rain in a couple of months. We sent it all to the east coast.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sent an auto repair book media mail once and it took a pretty long time to get to the buyer and I got a few messages from them telling me they haven't received it. From then on anything like books I just send 1st class or priority mail.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Bassmaster96

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I've noticed it takes a while for the media mail. I think what I'll start doing is if the destination is fairly close I'll send it media mail, but if it is way off, then I'll send priority or first class. :thumbsup:

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
I was the Central States Archaeological Societies librarian for 10 years and shipping a lot of packages. Always tape the boxes extremely well. In the early days I failed to do this and had a few broken open. Now I tape the entire packages almost like its been shrink wrapped. I purchased the 2 inch wide tape in bulk from Sams Club. I used alternating direction wrap with about a 1/4 inch overlap alternating sides. so the tape is sort of woven together.

The boxes, if not a standard US post box, I always wrapped in a plain brown heavy paper. If available I used paper shopping bags. I printed in large letters on a standard paper in bold, landscape mode the shipping info so that it took up almost the entire paper sheet.

I got pretty good at wrapping and the grandkids started making fun of my wrapping as I took the gift wrapping to the next level also.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Post Office hates media mail/ They would get rid of it if they could.
Its cheap so it is the very last priority. when they are busy, your package just sits there. It gets painfully slow around the holidays. Any other time it is acceptable snail speed. I am pretty sure that you cannot insure it at all.
I use the flat rate priority if I can help it

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions