EBay case

Bassmaster96

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had a buyer contact me the day that their item showed delivered in tracking and said that they didn't get it. I told them that sometimes packages were marked delivered and then actually delivered the next day if the package was supposed to be there on the day before, although I didn't figure that was the issue since this was a small package. They talked to their apartment office or something and they told them that the mail carrier was new. So I told them to ask around and wait a few days and see if it turned up. Now, two business days after the package shows delivered, they just opened a case saying that they didn't get the package and that they weren't going to pay for something they didn't get. :BangHead: Two business days after the item showed delivered? Really? :BangHead:

I responded to the case and told them that opening a case was unnecessary since we were messaging back and forth and that it was especially unnecessary since it had only been two business days. Any advice here? I'm sure they're telling the truth, but it just seems kind of fishy to me how fast they messaged me when the item was marked delivered and then how fast they opened the case. They don't want to be patient at all, clearly.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Is it a new buyer?

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't sweat it. They are covered by ebay's buyer protection, and you by seller's protection. As long as you can show shipping to the correct address, they will probably get a refund, but from Ebay, not you.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
What difference does it make? If tracking shows the package was delivered eBay will decide the case in your favor. When someone contacts me with a similar complaint I apologize for them having an issue, supply tracking information, tell them sometimes USPS shows up with the package within a few days, & if it doesn't encourage them to open a case through the eBay system.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had a fun run ins and won them all. If it shows delivered, they are done.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
If the buyer didn't receive the package they paid for, what else would you expect them to do? They did exactly what they are supposed to do in this situation. This process (buyer/seller protection) has been in place for YEARS. You must know this?

OP
OP
B

Bassmaster96

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the buyer didn't receive the package they paid for, what else would you expect them to do? They did exactly what they are supposed to do in this situation. This process (buyer/seller protection) has been in place for YEARS. You must know this?

Yeah, I'm well aware of buyer/seller protection. The thing that annoys me is that I was messaging them and thought we were doing fine fixing the issue talking back and forth. Also the fact that they only waited 2 business days.

OP
OP
B

Bassmaster96

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't sweat it. They are covered by ebay's buyer protection, and you by seller's protection. As long as you can show shipping to the correct address, they will probably get a refund, but from Ebay, not you.

But, eBay pulls the money from your Paypal account, right?

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But, eBay pulls the money from your Paypal account, right?

No, as long as you can prove what address you sent it to, you are covered. If you print out the labels from ebay, the info is automatically there. The buyer may get a refund, but they will get it from Ebay, not you.

When do I qualify for eBay Seller Protection?
If you sell an item that is eligible for eBay Buyer Protection and the buyer filed an item not received claim with eBay on this item, you are eligible for eBay Seller Protection.

To qualify for eBay Seller Protection, be sure to:
Communicate proactively with your buyer throughout the transaction.
Ship items within 7 days of the stated handling time on your listing. For pre-ordered or made-to-order goods, ship within the timelines stated in your listing.
Use a shipping method that provides tracking information and/or valid delivery confirmation to the address in the PayPal transaction details or eBay order details page.
Signature confirmation is required for transactions over $250.
Retain your shipping documentation
Respond to the eBay resolution process in a timely manner.

OP
OP
B

Bassmaster96

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I done all of those things and my initial thought was that if tracking showed delivered, I'm good. I guess we'll see what eBay says.

OP
OP
B

Bassmaster96

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I added tracking info to the case right after I saw it and responded to it. The buyers message tonight said that was an insult :dontknow: I think it's pretty clear they are too impatient to work with, sadly. I understand where they're at and everything, but if they can't wait over 2 days for the package to possibly arrive I don't think I can work with them. I am constantly surprised at the impatience of people these days :sadsmiley:

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's much easier to purchase and print shipping through Ebay. You get a discount, and free tracking. Tracking info is uploaded automatically, and zero chance of getting the buyer's address wrong.

OP
OP
B

Bassmaster96

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's much easier to purchase and print shipping through Ebay. You get a discount, and free tracking. Tracking info is uploaded automatically, and zero chance of getting the buyer's address wrong.

Yeah, way easier. I've been doing that for years. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
B

Bassmaster96

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buyer closed the case this morning and said the package showed up. Why can't people be more patient :dontknow:

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Buyer closed the case this morning and said the package showed up. Why can't people be more patient :dontknow:

Glad it worked out! By the way it was starting to sound with their impatience/attitude. I was starting to think they received it and were trying to keep item and get refund.

MotherOfGeeks

Apr 26, 2016
Washington
Primary Interest:
Other
Really makes you long for the day when you could leave a negative or neutral rating for a PITA buyer. You could leave a positive with as much snark as possible.

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
FYI in case it happens in the future. If it was shipped USPS, when a package is "scanned delivered", it shows the GPS coordinates. It's not pinpoint but will show if a package is delivered to the block it's addressed to. Any carrier can misdeliver a package. Something addressed to 700 South Main St. can show up at 700 North Main St.. The GPS coordinates will show this.
The Post Office stations have to account for every package with a scanable label everyday.
One of the biggest problems I had as a carrier was people looking at the tracking and not reading what it says.
Arrived at Unit means just that. The article has gone in the doors of the Office. That package might not get worked until the next day but people think they'll get it that day.
Out for delivery means you should get it that day.
Never be afraid to call a P.O. and ask for assistance. If you can't get satisfaction, make a complaint ON LINE at the USPS site. Someone at that P.O. has to answer to someone above to an online complaint. The GPS stuff works for problems with scammers. Good luck. Uglymailman (Ret.)

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
What exactly am I missing here? You all are talking about the buyer as though they committed some sort of wrongdoing.

From the story: The buyer bought and paid for an item on ebay. The item did not show up when it was shown as delivered in the system. The buyer used ebay's own system as put in place for YEARS to attempt to rectify the situation. The package showed up and the case was closed. I have not seen ANYTHING to suggest the buyer did anything improper.

Again, what did the buyer do wrong? This is EXACTLY how I would have handled such a situation. "PITA buyer"? Leaving them negative feedback??? WTF is wrong with you people...

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really makes you long for the day when you could leave a negative or neutral rating for a PITA buyer. You could leave a positive with as much snark as possible.
I leave false positives whenever the need arises. Example, one of my latest...

Lovely experience buyer didnt pay for item, great!

Or something to that effect.

FYI- Any seller who doesn't print labels via ebay direct is just asking for trouble in the long run.

Whenever this type of thing happens, I tell them to give it a day and file a case if it doesn't show up. I let ebay handle it from there.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread